BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Mikulski
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' ///M3

Odd Tire Wear

Ok so the previous owner of my M3 had Acclera PHI2 tires installed.....yea I know why put budget tires on a car like an M3???? Well they need replacing and honestly I am not complaining cause I want some decent tread for my car. When I checked the tread wear I saw something quite odd though. It seems as though the OUTER portion of the tire has more wear than the inside and the wear difference is quite drastic IMO. I can only imagine that the previous owner had the tires switched in the opposite direction so the inner tread was now on the outside. I hope this is the case because I would imagine my alignment/camber setup is off.

INNER Side of tire

OUTER Side of Tire

To clarify the INNER side of the tire is right above the wear bars( right around the top of lincolns head). The OUTER side tread comes up to the lettering in the penny.... Thoughts guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I would fit the new tyres and go for a full alignment regardless of the cause.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

its normal premature camber-wear. i think how it works is that the camber on the weighted corner (which is already -1.0 stock) becomes positive under compression (ie turning), so unless you have enough negative camber it will always wear like that.

I pulled my alignment pins on the front suspension and the outside front tires still suffered from about 0.5/32 of uneven wear. You could mitigate this by dialing in higher camber via camber caster plates, which would give you an extra few thousand miles maybe?

diy on alignment pin here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521177

Last edited by Kunman; 05-31-2014 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

If you run too much toe in you will wear the outside of the tyres, similar if you run too much toe out you will wear the insides. Post the print out of your alignment check/adjust and it will give everyone something to work with.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Get an alignment and I would so zero toe. Also very important tire psi stay on top of it

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Get an alignment and I would so zero toe.
Certainly the low end of the toe in range will make the front feel more responsive...as the front wheels tend to toe out on acceleration (the amount depending on wear and compliance) a little bit of toe in will stop the front end from tending to dart about on uneven road surfaces.
Appreciate 0