Mporium BMW

05-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

looking to buy m3 what is popular colour

my son and I are wanting to organise a driving holiday to the Italian/Austrian alps to do the roads and tunnels. we want an appropriate car so are thinking an m3. it would cost about £2000 to hire one for the holiday so we think its better to buy one and sell it on. what would be the best colour to buy bearing in mind we would want to sell it again. is dct or manual easier to sel.l thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Dct is more popular.
If you are in and out I don't think colour comes into it provided you don't over pay.

You'll be spoilt for choice if you want white or black combo. But then probably marginally more crowded market to sell.

£20k won't get you much unless you go for first year and 60k miles or more.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...w/e90-m3-07-13

Get a BMW warrantied one as at 60k to 80k I read that is when throttle actuators and IDC tend to pack up and those are 2* £800 plus fitting if two go.

You might want to add new tyres to your budget after you've belted around the Alps. Check you disks and pads at that mileage.
Oh, and budget on getting a good one you won't want to sell ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
Dct is more popular.
If you are in and out I don't think colour comes into it provided you don't over pay.

You'll be spoilt for choice if you want white or black combo. But then probably marginally more crowded market to sell.

£20k won't get you much unless you go for first year and 60k miles or more.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...w/e90-m3-07-13

Get a BMW warrantied one as at 60k to 80k I read that is when throttle actuators and IDC tend to pack up and those are 2* £800 plus fitting if two go.

You might want to add new tyres to your budget after you've belted around the Alps. Check you disks and pads at that mileage.
Oh, and budget on getting a good one you won't want to sell ;-)
thanks for the advice, we are thinking now that maybe we will keep it and go somewhere different next year, trouble is now my son is looking at jags and audis neither of which I think are ideal for the job in hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Take the RX8 Jeff (sorry, couldn't resist!). Nothing constructive to add except for buy at the very best price possible. Any Cat C/D's knocking about - you'll lose feck all if bought right in the first place. Hell, for £2k, take mine!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Take the RX8 Jeff (sorry, couldn't resist!). Nothing constructive to add except for buy at the very best price possible. Any Cat C/D's knocking about - you'll lose feck all if bought right in the first place. Hell, for £2k, take mine!!!
did think about the rx8, its less than £2000 and if it died I could just dump it!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
slmnneil
Registered
Rep
Drives: rover

How about metallic silver , or white if you have to touch up at all
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

People who go for this car on the second hand market will go for white. That's the color from all the glossy pictures and ads that attracted them to the car in the first place.
Appreciate 0