EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

Nurburgring Guide for Euro Delivery Crew this Summer

Hey all!

While I'm sitting here wishing my production status would move forward, I figured no better way to prepare for June 23rd than by watching all the 'ring videos I can get my hands on. This first video is one that helped me learn the names of the turns and get an idea of what they look like in real life. Also, playing GT6 helps if you actually start a race of the Nurburgring, then ignore the race and take it slowly at your own pace. You can actually see the names of the turns if you slow down and know what the Yokohama-named signs look like.

One other thing that may help you is youtubing all the Nurburgring "near miss and fail" videos. For those of us that want to go out there this summer and set records, you should absolutely watch these. Only common sense will tell you that most of these yahoos out here wrecking their cars are trying to prove to them or their passenger or their video cameras how fast they are.

I asked our resident race expert Karussel where most people crash (as show by this video) and he said the exit to Brunchen is the gravel trap (and tourist stand) where everyone gets to watch the wrecks. Trust me, even playing GT6 for a year, you won't be faster than him, so the only thing you have to gain most likely are silver scratches on your new ride.

I'm saying all of this not to be a sour puss... What I am saying is that the Ring is a fun track if you can drive sort of fast, but in order to drive fast, you should know a few of the 73 turns there to know what's coming up. Just keep that balanced with not being too aggressive.

I know we are going to have a blast out there, but let's have fun, keep it safe, watch the videos so you aren't too surprised.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Excellent info!

But that turn in the second video scares me to death!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Nürburgring is not just because of the track (the long version, not the GP one) one of the most dangerous tracks out there. It is narrow, has turns that cannot really be foreseen and not overseen.

And additionally there are usually all these maniacs out there that cannot handle their cars.

I know of about 10 towing companies that just make all their revenue just because they pick up cars crashed on the ring. On crowded weekends it seemed to me as if there were more towing trucks on the track than cars

But I'm looking forward to that part. Don't know whether I'll take my car on it though... rather go with the ring taxi for the feeling (and then go on it for the picture of course).

Thanks for sharing the videos. Great stuff!
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Good advice indeed. We will still be breaking in our cars so not going too fast anyway. I will just get my extreme ride with Karusell as I have no doubt he will test my nerves
      04-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Excellent info!

But that turn in the second video scares me to death!
haha! Which one? There were a few different ones. Kallenhard, Breidscheide, or Wehrseifen ... it's all scary if you don't know what's up! Most of the turns I think are blind...you're in a forest!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
haha! Which one? There were a few different ones. Kallenhard, Breidscheide, or Wehrseifen ... it's all scary if you don't know what's up! Most of the turns I think are blind...you're in a forest!
All OF THEM!! I would hate to take a new M4 and do that to it!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You don't have to be the victim of a wreck...just take it easy driving around and don't drive outside your limits. There are only two options:

1. closed course with instructor
2. public day

If you do the closed course with an instructor, then just listen to what they say.

If you do a public day, then drive only slightly faster than the tourist bus, or follow the Renault Clio's from RSR. It will be a lot slower than you potentially, unless there is an instructor driving it! Either way you should be fine!

Just DO NOT let the VW Golfs tailing you provoke you to try to outrun them...those guys are probably ringers waiting to push a newbie to the edge of his envelope! Just signal right and let them pass!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
ake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to be the victim of a wreck...just take it easy driving around and don't drive outside your limits. There are only two options:

2. public day

If you do the closed course with an instructor, then just listen to what they say.

If you do a public day, then drive only slightly faster than the tourist bus, or follow the Renault Clio's from RSR. It will be a lot slower than you potentially, unless there is an instructor driving it! Either way you should be fine!

Just DO NOT let the VW Golfs tailing you provoke you to try to outrun them...those guys are probably ringers waiting to push a newbie to the edge of his envelope! Just signal right and let them pass!
Every sentence so true!
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep

Quote:

2. public day

Thanks for the advice, I just have to keep my head on my shoulders and that should keep my car in one piece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
Every sentence so true!
+1 on that!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
1slowE82cp
Private First Class
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SOLD, 2016 M3 coming..

I have booked many hours of game play on this track in the last couple of years with the GT series to the Forza series, and even with all of this I know nothing will compare to actually driving on it in my new car. I'll be just happy with lapping this track a couple of times and taken it off my bucket list.
Now if our fellow racecar driver and group member offers to take Any of us for a lap on the track while he does the driving, y'all can bet that I will go
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
When I did my ED for my 335xi, I was afraid to push it to the limits. But some areas a I did but for the most part I didn't push the car at all, didn't feel like doing that to a brand new car with only about 1200kms. I met a guy there that did ED too and he had about 600 miles in his M3 but he said sad that its not broken-in but since he's already there might as well try to push it.

I met the guy that drives the Aston Martin there and what most people say there is to truly KNOW the Nürburgring you need to drive it about 100x. Its not like other tracks that are a fraction of the length where you just drive few rounds and you're good to go.

But if you really wanna feel how the Nürburgring should be driven then the taxi is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
When I did my ED for my 335xi, I was afraid to push it to the limits. But some areas a I did but for the most part I didn't push the car at all, didn't feel like doing that to a brand new car with only about 1200kms. I met a guy there that did ED too and he had about 600 miles in his M3 but he said sad that its not broken-in but since he's already there might as well try to push it.

I met the guy that drives the Aston Martin there and what most people say there is to truly KNOW the Nürburgring you need to drive it about 100x. Its not like other tracks that are a fraction of the length where you just drive few rounds and you're good to go.

But if you really wanna feel how the Nürburgring should be driven then the taxi is the way to go!

We are negotiating a STELLAR rate for a few taxi laps on the Nurburgring. I think it will be in a GT3RS, but don't quote me on that. It will be by a famous racing driver that you all have seen a few videos of (so get ready!).

The thing that you don't learn about the Nurburgring (or any track for that matter) is the elevation changes. For instance, on the FlugPlatz you might notice that your car jumps a little, or on the way into (I think) Pflantzgarten. The one for me that is super noticeable is when you go down to the foxhole (Fuchs Rohre), you are basically going straight downhill and that sensation of driving flat out straight downhill can't be replicated on a video game because your stomach is in your throat!

Either way, we are going to have a ....

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
We are negotiating a STELLAR rate for a few taxi laps on the Nurburgring. I think it will be in a GT3RS, but don't quote me on that. It will be by a famous racing driver that you all have seen a few videos of (so get ready!).
That would be awesome! I doubt I will push my car hard at all, would rather ride along with a pro
Retired

335iS Alpine White (ED 10.1.10) / 128i Montego Blue / Ducati 848 Dark SBK / Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #15
ake
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF848 View Post
That would be awesome! I doubt I will push my car hard at all, would rather ride along with a pro

Same here. If I take my car on the track I will be holding everyone else up (using the right turn signal all the time to let them pass).
I probably will take the car on the track just to be able to say "I did it!" - but won't quite feel like racing...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowE82cp View Post
I have booked many hours of game play on this track in the last couple of years with the GT series to the Forza series, and even with all of this I know nothing will compare to actually driving on it in my new car. I'll be just happy with lapping this track a couple of times and taken it off my bucket list.
Now if our fellow racecar driver and group member offers to take Any of us for a lap on the track while he does the driving, y'all can bet that I will go
That's all you have to do! You'll have more laps than most of the US BMW M drivers, Porsche drivers, etc have ever had on the Nurburgring!
Appreciate 0