Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
24M
Private
Rep
Drives: Future M4

Some questions about the M4

New member here looking to learn some facts

So I am looking into getting an m4 but I had some questions;

For carbon ceramics the only thing making me apprehensive about getting them is the chance of them braking from washing the car. If I took the car in a touchless car wash would the water pressure chip the rotors?

Also is there any other good reason BESIDES PRICE, that you guys aren't ordering these? I feel price is pretty much the only reason.

Also when will other exterior or interior colors become available? Additionally when will other options like carbon fiber spoilers and mirrors tend to become available after new car releases?

Also I could have sworn I saw at an auto show picture that the m4 had a carbon fiber diffuser and front lip. Anyone know of these?

The m4 stock exhaust seems to sound like crap. Who makes a better exhaust esiman or akrapovic? If I change the exhaust at that point I'd probably want to go titanium with carbon fiber tips if possible.

But this seems to be the first M4 that has enough performance to interest me and tech in it finally so I am really excited about this car. Always I thought the tech, power, and interior quality was always lacking for the price. I always only liked the exterior. Now I like most of it enough to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24M View Post
Also when will other exterior or interior colors become available? Additionally when will other options like carbon fiber spoilers and mirrors tend to become available after new car releases?

Also I could have sworn I saw at an auto show picture that the m4 had a carbon fiber diffuser and front lip. Anyone know of these?
it sounds like the performance parts for this car will be available nearly at the same time as the launch of this car

the diffuser and front lip spoiler will be available as performance parts.

Last edited by Bimmer4John; 04-09-2014 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: reading comprehension fail
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4John View Post
I'd say the other good reasons for getting an M3 over an M4 are:
1) Much much more practical (back seats are much more useable in m3)
2) Looks (some people prefer the looks of the M3)

it sounds like the performance parts for this car will be available nearly at the same time as the launch of this car

the diffuser and front lip spoiler will be available as performance parts.
^^^
He's talking about the CCB not M3 vs M4.

Price is the main thing keeping me from CCBs they are awesome but it cost $8000 to change the break pads + rotors and are not covered within the BMW maintenance program.

All of the stuff on the safety car will be available from the m-performance catalog, more info on those parts should be available in ~July after the car is launched. You would just have to get them retrofitted at your dealer

As for interior/exterior colors I doubt we will see more standard colors offered until LCI, you would probably want to go the Individual route and drop $5K to get anything you want. I doubt full individual program will be available until fall
      04-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
^^^
Wow, haha, I completely misread that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
24M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
^^^

Price is the main thing keeping me from CCBs they are awesome but it cost $8000 to change the break pads + rotors and are not covered within the BMW maintenance program.

All of the stuff on the safety car will be available from the m-performance catalog, more info on those parts should be available in ~July after the car is launched. You would just have to get them retrofitted at your dealer

As for interior/exterior colors I doubt we will see more standard colors offered until LCI, you would probably want to go the Individual route and drop $5K to get anything you want. I doubt full individual program will be available until fall
Yea but CCBs don't need maintenance during the 4 year program anyways for street driving. Do we have any info on cost for the carbon fiber bits? Also that's stupid then they don't offer both just factory on the car. I don't need the stock parts nor the labor cost.

Mirrors and spoilers they seem to offer on the Configurator. Any idea when those might be available?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Yea but CCBs don't need maintenance during the 4 year program anyways for street driving. Do we have any info on cost for the carbon fiber bits? Also that's stupid then they don't offer both just factory on the car. I don't need the stock parts nor the labor cost.

Mirrors and spoilers they seem to offer on the Configurator. Any idea when those might be available?
Umm, mirrors and the spoiler (it's integrated into the trunk on the M4) is the same.

While I kinda agree a bit about the street driving, it also depends on how many miles you put on the car whether or not you're going to have to replace the brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
24M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Umm, mirrors and the spoiler (it's integrated into the trunk on the M4) is the same.

While I kinda agree a bit about the street driving, it also depends on how many miles you put on the car whether or not you're going to have to replace the brake pads.
They offer carbon fiber mirrors on other M and regular cars. I didn't notice the spoiler is integrated in the trunk so the mirrors then are what I am interested in.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #8
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Look at the motoGP safety car thread. I would think that all those M-performance parts are coming down the pipeline since that car is basically a moving advertisement. I don't think the CF rear spoiler looks that great though...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

There will be some Individual colors and interior leathers in June.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I would imagine you may need to replace pads over that interval

FYI on steel rotors most people do not need rotors after 4 years of street driving either.

Justify all you want, but there is basically no business case for ceramics over steel at the current prices. Steel rotors last an extremely long time on the street.
      04-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
They offer carbon fiber mirrors on other M and regular cars. I didn't notice the spoiler is integrated in the trunk so the mirrors then are what I am interested in.
The spoiler is integrated. However, there is a carbon fiber extra spoiler that can be added on ala the M4 safety car. That's has all the carbon fiber goodies.

The configurator just shows the normal parts so I don't know where you are seeing them there.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

A few benefits include:

1) Decreased Brake Dust
2) Reduced Rotating, Unsprung Mass
3) Desirable Aesthetics

For me, though, the increased initial cost combined with the absurdly high future maintenance costs aren't worth the actual performance. For the money, if I were concerned about needing better brakes for the track, I'd purchase a conventional steel rotor BBK--all the performance with significantly less concern for routine or unexpected (the CCBs ARE fragile) maintenance costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
24M
Private
Rep

Quote:
The spoiler is integrated. However, there is a carbon fiber extra spoiler that can be added on ala the M4 safety car. That's has all the carbon fiber goodies.

The configurator just shows the normal parts so I don't know where you are seeing them there.
For other cars not the m4. Look at the 335i and m5 I think has it too. And the E92 M3 had carbon fiber mirrors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post
A few benefits include:

1) Decreased Brake Dust
2) Reduced Rotating, Unsprung Mass
3) Desirable Aesthetics

For me, though, the increased initial cost combined with the absurdly high future maintenance costs aren't worth the actual performance. For the money, if I were concerned about needing better brakes for the track, I'd purchase a conventional steel rotor BBK--all the performance with significantly less concern for routine or unexpected (the CCBs ARE fragile) maintenance costs.
Honestly for me the pros are just exactly what you listed. But for 8k I could change out the exhaust to eisman or akrapovic, add some carbon fiber, maybe do an individual paint or leather, and maybe a dinan power kit/suspension kit when they are available and probably still not pay 8k. So I guess I will pass on CCBs. Plus now I am thinking they may hurt resale on this particular car since everyone is so paranoid about them.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
For other cars not the m4. Look at the 335i and m5 I think has it too. And the E92 M3 had carbon fiber mirrors as well.
You're seeing things. None of the cars on the US configurator have carbon fiber mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
24M
Private
Rep

Quote:
You're seeing things. None of the cars on the US configurator have carbon fiber mirrors.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=143Z

Carbon fiber mirror caps 694. They even include black kidney grill too.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #16
24M
Private
Rep

I know this isn't the case for other cars but do Dinan upgrades and things like Eisman/Akrapovic exhaust add value to BMW M cars? Or is it like other cars mustangs/corvettes etc that you get like 20 cents or less on the dollar come reselling time?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Hmm, haven't seen that before. They don't have it on the M-car configurator. Odd.

Quote:
I know this isn't the case for other cars but do Dinan upgrades and things like Eisman/Akrapovic exhaust add value to BMW M cars?
Nope, you will never get your money back on mods. Ever.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey
Quote:

Hmm, haven't seen that before. They don't have it on the M-car configurator. Odd.

Quote:
I know this isn't the case for other cars but do Dinan upgrades and things like Eisman/Akrapovic exhaust add value to BMW M cars?
Nope, you will never get your money back on mods. Ever.
+1 on the mods comment.

When you decide to sell, your best bet is always to part out to recoup the most money possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
24M
Private
Rep

Quote:
+1 on the mods comment.

When you decide to sell, your best bet is always to part out to recoup the most money possible.
I figured. I thought maybe it was different since these don't alter the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I figured. I thought maybe it was different since these don't alter the warranty.
If it's not a BMW Performance Part, it alters the warranty. Dinan just replaces the BMW warranty with one of their own.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #21
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure it's that simple with the "these don't alter the warranty" comment. Although I'm sure Eisenman and Akrapovic warranty their products (and hopefully any damage that results from their products), I don't know that BMW itself guarantees they will not deny you warranty repairs due to modifications.

Even Dinan (which, at least in the USA, has the closest "partnership" with BMW in terms of aftermarket modifications) doesn't--as far as I know--have any special deal with BMW whereby BMW guarantees they will never deny you warranty repairs due to damage caused by Dinan modifications. Dinan itself warranties its product and damage caused by use of its product.

I don't actually have any direct experience with Dinan warranty claims, though, so someone please feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Another important consideration is transferability of warranty. BMW's vehicle warranty transfers from owner to owner, as per the pre-designated mileage and time period. Each individual aftermarket company (Dinan, Akrapovic, Eisenman) may be different. It's worth looking into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
24M
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure it's that simple with the "these don't alter the warranty" comment. Although I'm sure Eisenman and Akrapovic warranty their products (and hopefully any damage that results from their products), I don't know that BMW itself guarantees they will not deny you warranty repairs due to modifications.

Even Dinan (which, at least in the USA, has the closest "partnership" with BMW in terms of aftermarket modifications) doesn't--as far as I know--have any special deal with BMW whereby BMW guarantees they will never deny you warranty repairs due to damage caused by Dinan modifications. Dinan itself warranties its product and damage caused by use of its product.

I don't actually have any direct experience with Dinan warranty claims, though, so someone please feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Another important consideration is transferability of warranty. BMW's vehicle warranty transfers from owner to owner, as per the pre-designated mileage and time period. Each individual aftermarket company (Dinan, Akrapovic, Eisenman) may be different. It's worth looking into it.

Dinan warranty lasts as long as BMW warranty. If out of warranty is last 2 years. And it does transfer from owner to owner. At the end of the day whether BMW fixes something or Dinan the point is someone is going to fix it. I know akropovic or eisman will only warranty their product so ignore them.

http://dinancars.com/warranty/
Appreciate 0