BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

03-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
New CF Side Skirt Extensions Installed…PLUS Installation Guide>>>

Purchased these awesome Innovergn/Forcewerkz E90 M Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Extensions for a great price on a Group Buy found here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951764

My impressions: They are very good quality with really great fitment as you will see in the pics below. Well worth the money for this great looking mod…and it's great to see that they stepped up and offered another option for us E90 M guys!

Installation is pretty straight forward and can be done by yourself, but having an extra hand does help. Installation time took me about 3 hours total. Here's a little installation guide for those that are thinking of getting these or have already purchased a set.
*Disclaimer: I installed these how I felt was the best way…I am no way liable for the results of your installation or if you damage your set. Follow at your own risk.

Here are the CF Side Skirt Extensions out of the box…beautiful carbon fiber construction.

IMG_4377 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4378 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4380 by dj_dub, on Flickr

I used standard blue Painters Tape to help with installation and 3M Automotive Double-Sided Tape to help with better adhesion to the car.

IMG_4399 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Jacked my car up one side at a time using a standard low profile jack with a jack pad attachment and a jack stand with mounting blocks made for BMW applications.

IMG_4389 by dj_dub, on Flickr

You will need to remove these stock screws underneath the stock side skirts. There are 10 of them total per side and are removed using a T30 Torx Bit. You will use all 10 of these later to secure the extensions to the car. The screw and where you can find them...

IMG_4401 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4409 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Next you will need to drill out the holes on the extensions where the stock screws will pass through to mount. Most of them are very easy to find as they are slightly raised or sunk in circles. I don't know the exact size of the bit I used, but it was the largest one I had. LOL …again, there should be 10 per extension.

IMG_4411 by dj_dub, on Flickr

After drilling the holes…I cleaned the extensions well and allowed to dry. Then mounted the 3M Double-sided tape to each side. Here you will see where I placed the tape to give you an idea about where it needs to be…

IMG_4418 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4419 by dj_dub, on Flickr

I used the blue Painters Tape next to help me mock the extensions up to the right location on the car, then removed the red protective cover on the 3M Double-sided tape. Proceeded to then begin mounting them and placing all of the 10 stock screws in through the holes of the extensions into their stock mounting locations.
Once mounted, secured the extensions further by placing Painters Tape in strategic locations to keep it in place better for the 3M Double-sided Tape.

Innovergn/Forcewerkz provides 10 black Tapping Screws shown below. They are optional, but I felt I needed to mount 4 per side to have the worry free feeling after installation (I'm paranoid). lol You will also see in the pics below where I felt was the best places to have these…

IMG_4424 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4434 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4436 by dj_dub, on Flickr

All done…repeat the same process for the other side. Left the blue Painters Tape on overnight to let the 3M Double-sided Tape to get better adhesion to the car.

IMG_4428 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4431 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4445 by dj_dub, on Flickr

Removed the Painters Tape the next afternoon and the installation was a success. Secure and looks amazing! Very pleased with the outcome!
Here are a few shots of the results and different angles of the fitment to the stock side skirts.

Enjoy the pics and stay tuned for a photoshoot coming soon!

IMG_4457 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4469 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4460 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4466 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4481 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4474 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4473 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4477 by dj_dub, on Flickr

IMG_4471 by dj_dub, on Flickr
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #2
rAdzM
Smashed!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [9.00]
these cf side skirts are a nice addition to the car, it refreshes the whole car. It made me fall in-love with my car again when I had mine installed. Now you gotta get a Varis diffuser to complete the look.

BBS | BREMBO | RECARO | ig: @euro_rad
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I am in love with E90's now lol. And your car

The car is seriously perfect now. What a great addition.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
BMWDEMON
Super modder
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E46 M3

I like the extensions on your car! Looks so fresh! I am unsure of what they are for but overall very nice.

M
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

I went with a slightly different installation:

1) I mounted the extension on top of the felt cover. Meaning the extension is being held with extra support from the the cars underbody felt tray.

2) I didn't use 3M tape because I wanted a very tight seal against the body. I ran 8 of those self-tap screws per side instead.

Both ways work great! Car looks great and thanks for sharing the write-up!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Nice little touches!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAdzM View Post
these cf side skirts are a nice addition to the car, it refreshes the whole car. It made me fall in-love with my car again when I had mine installed. Now you gotta get a Varis diffuser to complete the look.
I agree...I felt the same exact way too! Haha For sure man, Varis is on the list...now I just need money. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I am in love with E90's now lol. And your car

The car is seriously perfect now. What a great addition.
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDEMON View Post
I like the extensions on your car! Looks so fresh! I am unsure of what they are for but overall very nice.

M
Thank you! Purely cosmetic mod...but makes a big impact in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeKon View Post
I went with a slightly different installation:

1) I mounted the extension on top of the felt cover. Meaning the extension is being held with extra support from the the cars underbody felt tray.

2) I didn't use 3M tape because I wanted a very tight seal against the body. I ran 8 of those self-tap screws per side instead.

Both ways work great! Car looks great and thanks for sharing the write-up!
I like what you did with the felt cover, that's pretty smart...I should've done that too! Thanks for sharing dude! ...as for the 3M tape, it's pretty thin. You can see in the pics I was still able to achieve a tight fit to the body. But yeah, either way works perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
Nice little touches!
Thank you!
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Gfunk720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3- AW

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
They look great.

Can't wait to get mine on in the Spring... if it ever comes.
      03-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunk720 View Post
They look great.

Can't wait to get mine on in the Spring... if it ever comes.
Thank you...I hope Spring comes soon for you dude! haha
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #10
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

LOL @ your socks with sandals!

I mounted mine with tape and no screws. Just the OEM fasteners. They've been on for about two years now. If you place the tape low enough on the skirt, you won't have a gap.
      03-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Very nice!

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #12
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
LOL @ your socks with sandals!

I mounted mine with tape and no screws. Just the OEM fasteners. They've been on for about two years now. If you place the tape low enough on the skirt, you won't have a gap.
Hahaha I'm Asian man, give me a break! JK Good eye though! lol

Exactly dude, this being the reason why I mounted it pretty low, more on the flat surface of the extension. Doing this enabled me to still achieve a tight fit while having the security of double-sided tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
Very nice!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 04:51 AM   #13
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
nice write up and looks good bro
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I actually did 2 rows of 3M tape. It's not a bad idea to do that so that there's absolutely no gap to the skirts.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

took me almost 2 weeks to find this thread for the DIY. this should be moved to the DIY section!

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LRM3 View Post
nice write up and looks good bro
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I actually did 2 rows of 3M tape. It's not a bad idea to do that so that there's absolutely no gap to the skirts.
Good idea...however, even with 1 row of tape like I did with mine, I have zero gap. I also believe the gap depends on where you drill your holes at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
took me almost 2 weeks to find this thread for the DIY. this should be moved to the DIY section!
Haha Glad you found it man! ...good idea! Mods: Feel free to move this to the DIY Section!
Appreciate 0