BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Speccin' my M3

Just wondering what you guys thoughts are on spec and colours?

I was thinking of going with the following:
DCT - when its available
Silverstone
Black Leather
Extended Leather - is this a waste on black?
19" Wheels
High Beam Assist
HiFi Upgrade
USB / FL 6
Storage Pack
Seat Heating
Sliding Armrest
EDC
Adaptive Headlights
Carbon Leather Interior

On colours, I'm not brave enough to go for white even though it seems very distinctive and very 'M' - living in the countryside, white would be yellow/brown most of the winter for me - was thinking of Space Grey or Black as an alternative. With Silverstone being an M only colour, maybe it would be a good choice?

I do think though that white will be a signature colour - BUT, it might be totally out of fashion in Europe in 2 or 3 years, it will still work in the US and the Mid Eastern countries, but not sure about dreary old Ireland and England - with our weather, the silvers are definitely more manageable maintenance wise?

Theres a lot of interesting reading on here, thanks to all who run the place for a great resource
      11-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW e92 M3

What about folding mirrors and high gloss shadow line?
I've got a similar spec to yours plus the above.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

I didn't think the mirrors were worth it to be honest - have them on wifeys TT and haven't ever used them?

I really, REALLY hate having to pay so much money for high gloss - my M Sport 325 has it as standard, amazing the M3 doesn't - but I may have to, thank you for reminding me

Last edited by AidenL; 11-13-2007 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
EBuyuk
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I think that extended leather on black is a waste. However full leather on black is worth every penny. Since full leather isnt an option on the 3 series and you are getting black, I would just get the regular version of it and spend that extra money on cooler gadgets
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Aiden, this is what I've specced...

Alpine White
Special order Syrah Blue Merino Leather (waiting to see a sample before final confirmation)
EDC
Seat Heating, front
High Gloss Shadowline trim
Smokers Package, deletion
Storage Package
Bluetooth Phone Prep
Logic 7 Hi Fi (still not sure if this is worth it)
Black Carbon Trim (might splash a couple hundred more quid on the piano black)

Sticking witht he 18 inch wheels that ill keep for track and am gettings ome aftermarket black split rims in 19 (hmm or maybe 20although probably 19)

Decided against the USB as you can plug an IPOD in as standard

I was going to go for the privacy glass but as it only does the back window and rear sides I think Ill get a mild tint done aftermarket for all the side windows and rear.

I have the mirrors on at the moment but tend to agree with you, waste of money.

I have 2 black cars at the moment and have found that keeping them clean isnt the issue, its looking after the paint thats a pain. Im guessing with white that it is less prone to swirls and wont show stone chips (as the base coat is white too). I dont mind washing it but find swirls and chips bloody annoying!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Please explain what is the difference between normal and shadow line? Also why pay for extended leather when you can't notice the difference, meaning black, I think that is a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
I was going to go for the privacy glass but as it only does the back window and rear sides I think Ill get a mild tint done aftermarket for all the side windows and rear.
As a fellow UK memeber I would watch how dark you go as the Police will pick you up on this, and often.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

There are two options for the window trim. The normal matte shadow line and high gloss black.

Jason
      11-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

Alpine White
Special order Syrah Blue Merino Leather (waiting to see a sample before final confirmation)
EDC
Seat Heating, front
Storage Package
Bluetooth Phone Prep

That will be interesting, the blue leather - look forward to seeing that

I veered away from L7 as I think the DSP aspect is less pure I guess - I have the Hi-fi upgrade on mt current 3, it has the under seat subs, and I'm reasonably happy with it

The all round light tint seems better - I always think, from seeing MINIs and SUVs with the rears tinted, it really does make them look van-like - the rear sides on the M ain't that big anyway, compared to the door windows, so I think it looks a little odd?

Why delete the smokers pack tho? Basically you just lose the 12v outlet in front?

Oh, and on the iPod input, don't you fancy track listings in the iDrive screen? You can't have that with Aux In, nor can you control track and playlist advance, even from the steering wheel? You'll have to have the iPod handing out of the centre armrest.
      11-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:

Alpine White
EDC
Seat Heating, front
Storage Package
Bluetooth Phone Prep
Syrah blue looks good, it's a quite dark blue. Anyway personally I would prefer the texture of the (standard) Novillo leather which has finer structure than the Merino leather. But I guess you've thought about the point already...

Quote:
Not sure about that, you can plug in the iPod via the standard Line input, but you can't operate it via iDrive without USB!?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #11
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
As a fellow UK memeber I would watch how dark you go as the Police will pick you up on this, and often.
They do cart around light meters these days
      11-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Please explain what is the difference between normal and shadow line? Also why pay for extended leather when you can't notice the difference, meaning black, I think that is a waste of money.
The extended CAN make the car look more luxurious though - there are red leather seats in our TT, but I went with black extended leather on the centre console and black of course on the binnacle - its subtle, but definitely more upmarket looking than the standard plastic trim.....
      11-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

How much extra does the Piano black trim cost?

Black carbon leather trim is £335. Right?

I was under the impression that Piano black trim costs approx the same but delays your build time by six weeks.

Quote:

Alpine White
EDC
Seat Heating, front
Storage Package
Bluetooth Phone Prep

Sticking witht he 18 inch wheels that ill keep for track and am gettings ome aftermarket black split rims in 19 (hmm or maybe 20although probably 19)

I have the mirrors on at the moment but tend to agree with you, waste of money.

I have 2 black cars at the moment and have found that keeping them clean isnt the issue, its looking after the paint thats a pain. Im guessing with white that it is less prone to swirls and wont show stone chips (as the base coat is white too). I dont mind washing it but find swirls and chips bloody annoying!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Floormats people!!
Yes I'm going to pay the ridcolous £75 for them. I'll try and get my stealer to chuck in free, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
Floormats people!!
Yes I'm going to pay the ridcolous £75 for them. I'll try and get my stealer to chuck in free, though.
My mats will be free, or I'll leave the car on the forecourt !!!
      11-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
Leg
Captain
Rep

Right Im adding USB back on tomorrow, didnt realise you couldnt see the IPOD listings on the screen.

Tints - yup as I said, just a mild tint

Blue leather - subject to seeing a sample! May well get a different one, maybe evenblack in the end. Havent felt the texture yet though so decision still to be confirmed. It is extended though when u go for the individual leathers and blue is the only one I could live with extended out of the individual colours.

Piano trim is £535 if memory serves, its in the Uk price guide which is at my office.

Smokers pack - what do you get if u delete it?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Leg. £535 for the Piano black is steep! Will consider it as it is really special.

Is your individual leathers costing approx £3000?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM3 View Post
Thanks Leg. £535 for the Piano black is steep! Will consider it as it is really special.

Is your individual leathers costing approx £3000?

£1200 for the leather

Found the price list, had a spare one in the boot of my car, piano black is £585 not £535, sorry. Im wary of it getting scratched and costing a bloody fortune to repair/replace. Carbon Leather makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
DonM3
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought indiviual leather cost alot more. At that price I may even consider it.
Not a big fan of the trims offered, so might have to bite the bullet and get Piano black.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #20
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
heck mine if ever will be

Silverstone
Black Leather
DCT
19" Wheels
HiFi Upgrade
Seat Heating
Sliding Armrest
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Just wondering what you guys thoughts are on spec and colours?

I was thinking of going with the following:
DCT - when its available
Silverstone
Black Leather
Extended Leather - is this a waste on black?
19" Wheels
High Beam Assist
HiFi Upgrade
USB / FL 6
Storage Pack
Seat Heating
Sliding Armrest
EDC
Adaptive Headlights
Carbon Leather Interior
Sounds good, although Silverstone is pretty blah, IMO. I'd fo go Space Gray. I've had a white car here in rainy Oregon and it's really not that bad to take care of. I do think extneded in black may not be worth it unless you've got money to burn.

Anyone know if Dakar Yellow is available as an Individual paint? I think that would look great on the E92.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 02:54 AM   #22
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Right Im adding USB back on tomorrow, didnt realise you couldnt see the IPOD listings on the screen.

Tints - yup as I said, just a mild tint

Blue leather - subject to seeing a sample! May well get a different one, maybe evenblack in the end. Havent felt the texture yet though so decision still to be confirmed. It is extended though when u go for the individual leathers and blue is the only one I could live with extended out of the individual colours.

Piano trim is £535 if memory serves, its in the Uk price guide which is at my office.

Smokers pack - what do you get if u delete it?
Far as I know, deleting smokers pack just removes the ashtray tray, gives you a smooth cubby instead, and removes the lighter itself, and replaces it with a blank - I'm reasonably sure you lose the 12v outlet too - which can be handy for charging a mobile, if you have one that isn't compatible with a BMW cradle for the armrest.

Guys thinking of it - Piano Black will scratch, especially on the door trim, when you let go of the seatbelt, your door trim will be peppered where the seatbelt buckle hits it - I might just post pics of my brushed aluminium so you can see !

Last edited by AidenL; 11-14-2007 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0