BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

02-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
New Mods: CAE Racing Shifter, ESS Pulley, Solid Mounts/Bushings (Photos/Video)

First of all, thanks to the guys over at Alekshop for the install. They are still going to make the ashtray area a bit more presentable, but I have a track day this weekend so I wanted them to just focus on getting the thing installed. The first time I saw this mod on one of the IND cars, I thought, "Wow, what a ridiculous looking shifter". I was looking to upgrade my stock shifter to something a bit more mechanical feeling and everyone kept suggesting the CAE shifter. Recently a local M3 owner was parting out his car and happened to have a CAE shifter that he never installed. I quickly jumped on the deal (along with a slightly used M24 Oil Cooler). I dropped my car off at Alekshop to install this shifter, ESS' new pulley, Bimmerworld motor mounts, and Turner solid differential/subframe bushings.

CAE Shifter:
Aside from the fact that some fabrication has to go on to get it to fit properly (no more ashtray or power port), this is a huge positive upgrade. Yes it sits very high, but it's so you don't have to move your hand far from the wheel to shift. The throws are extremely direct and mechanical. Far shorter than stock (even though by the length you'd think it was longer). Changing gate rows is spring loaded so there's no mistaking what gear you are trying to go into. Reverse is completely locked out until you pull on the ring which allows access to the reverse gate. It feels and sounds sublime. You hear a nice "clack" sound as you shift into each gear.

Solid Bushings:
I've been wanting to upgrade my bushings for quite awhile now. I've been in an E92 M3 with solid mounts (including transmission) and it felt so right. However it came at the price of lots of noise. While I felt like I was in a race car, the transmission whine quickly came unbearable at freeway speeds. Not an issue on the track with a helmet, but the drive to the track would be painful without ear plugs. So I opted out of upgrading my transmission bushings.

I fired up my car and the first thing I noticed was more vibration coming from the pedals and the shifter. Nothing harsh, but it definitely felt different. There was also more noise coming into the cabin, but nothing unbearable. I pulled the car out onto the street and took it for a spin. First thing I noticed was how much stiffer and more direct the car felt. When I got on the gas, the car reacted instantly instead of the slight fraction of a second delay that comes from the stock rubber bushings. It felt great. When I turned my wheel back and forth just a couple degrees from the center, the car was reacting to it rather than absorbing it. So this is what "more raw" feels like. But this new found raw-ness didn't come without side effects. As my speeds picked up I could hear more noise that sounded like it was coming from the diff. Also a slight whine that was non existent before as the revs climb. At freeway speeds, the noise really picked up. It's not unbearable, but I wouldn't want to hear the sound if I had a daily commute. Definitely not as loud as having solid transmission mounts, but the noise is definitely there. Probably louder for my car since I don't have back seats to insulate it more. Is the extra noise worth the price? It seems like it is for me, but it's been raining all day so I haven't been able to really put it to the test. I'll be at the track this weekend, but again it will be a rainy track day.

ESS Pulley:
Because of the rain, I haven't been able to tell if there's an improvement with this mod on the butt dyno.

Here are a few photos of the shifter:

Here is in-cabin audio of my car on the track with the new bushings. You can hear the whine and the sound of bearings. Laps are slow because of all the rain and DSC-off.

And for fun, some skid pad:

My pet project: https://stickershift.com

Last edited by radiantm3; 02-10-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Great update! Spoke with the gents at CAE not too long ago, glad to see an M3post member take the plunge. Look forward to reading more reviews on the piece.
      02-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
11redm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F12 M6 and 550

I would like to hear and feel this in your car Mark.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Nice, we got the CAE shifter a couple of weeks ago for the track car here.

You should also get the UCP Clutch Pedal which will compliment it nicely.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 02-06-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
geez that thing is crazy, what are the pros of upgrading to this?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Great upgrades. The CAE shifter sounds incredible.
      02-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
That's a long stick...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Just out of curiousity, why not the AKG or similar BW shifter. Same design (less reverse lockout) but I think you can keep the ashtray.

This eliminates the carrier correct?

Curious to hear your feedback on the driving w/ out solid trans mounts too.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Does anyone make a shifter like that for the dct equipped cars? That would look pretty sweet I think
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Does anyone make a shifter like that for the dct equipped cars? That would look pretty sweet I think
Steering wheel paddles...

You got a smoking deal on it! I've been talking to the guys at HardMotorsport (the importers in the US) about getting one, but was to reluctant to without seeing how the pieces would fit together with the center console. I'm glad I let go of my BMW CF console, as modifying that would certainly not have worked. I may very well have to pull the trigger on an anodized black version now! Thank you so much for sharing..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
foam
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Your interior is so mint!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
geez that thing is crazy, what are the pros of upgrading to this?
this , the BW, and AKG allow you to remove the carrier completely as this shifter is now bolted to the floor/console of the car itself. It makes it feel like a shifter should feel (think hurst in a mustang). Very mechanical.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Steering wheel paddles...

You got a smoking deal on it! I've been talking to the guys at HardMotorsport (the importers in the US) about getting one, but was to reluctant to without seeing how the pieces would fit together with the center console. I'm glad I let go of my BMW CF console, as modifying that would certainly not have worked. I may very well have to pull the trigger on an anodized black version now! Thank you so much for sharing..
I was thinking more like a sequential shifter that's on the floor. Just like some of the race cars.... Extending the gear selector up further and just using it as a bump stick as an alternative to the paddles. Thanks for pointing em out to me though, almost forgot they were there!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #14
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

Thanks for the detail. It really helps the rest of us make informed decisions on our upgrades!
So I assume you replaced the rear subframe bushings? If so, what brand/style did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

After driving a GT3RS with CAE shifter I knew right away that we have to fit this kit into Mark's car.

Sometimes at the track things get busy and you are not sure what gear you are in. With CAE kit this problem is solved. The ability to make adjustments to each gear makes it very precise and completely eliminates side to side play.

Since this is more of a universal kit and wasn't specifically designed for E9X M3 application it requires some time to be spent to get it installed right. Even some experienced shops unable to fit it on the cars (that's what we heard ), so you really need to be patient and take your time installing it. We also made sure that everything is properly sealed and insulated. Something that shouldn't be missed.

We will make an installation guide for E9X M3 cars if any of you are interested to give it a try to fit in your car.

Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #16
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
After driving a GT3RS with CAE shifter I knew right away that we have to fit this kit into Mark's car.

Sometimes at the track things get busy and you are not sure what gear you are in. With CAE kit this problem is solved. The ability to make adjustments to each gear makes it very precise and completely eliminates side to side play.

Since this is more of a universal kit and wasn't specifically designed for E9X M3 application it requires some time to be spent to get it installed right. Even some experienced shops unable to fit it on the cars (that's what we heard ), so you really need to be patient and take your time installing it. We also made sure that everything is properly sealed and insulated. Something that shouldn't be missed.

We will make an installation guide for E9X M3 cars if any of you are interested to give it a try to fit in your car.

Aleks.
considering it's sort of universal and you have to cut up the car (i.e. remove things) not to mention it's price..... Is it really better than AKG?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #17
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:

Aleks.
Please, please, please, please! I'm sure the knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm in Fremont over the next couple weeks, maybe I could sneak a peek at the car, or even the shop, Aleks?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #18
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
considering it's sort of universal and you have to cut up the car (i.e. remove things) not to mention it's price..... Is it really better than AKG?
You don't have to cut up the car. But yes you have to modify a few things to get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #19
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Please, please, please, please! I'm sure the knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be off-topic, but I'm in Fremont over the next couple weeks, maybe I could sneak a peek at the car, or even the shop, Aleks?
Most definitely! Please give me a call and we will be glad to show you around

925-609-4559
Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #20
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to cut up the car. But yes you have to modify a few things to get it installed.
yeah that's the point. Don't get me wrong it's a very nice piece, but for ALOT more $$$ than comparable true bolt in designs.

the reverse lockout feature is nice, but it's not really necessay unless your downshifting into first .

edit: sorry to go OT, OP. Car does look sick. Looking forward to hearing how it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #21
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
yeah that's the point. Don't get me wrong it's a very nice piece, but for ALOT more $$$ than comparable true bolt in designs.

the reverse lockout feature is nice, but it's not really necessay unless your downshifting into first .

edit: sorry to go OT, OP. Car does look sick. Looking forward to hearing how it works.
To be fair, you can't compare AKG vs CAE as it's a completely different kit and won't offer you what you would get with CAE. Yes AKG is half of the price but it offers you half of the features.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #22
waterbottle1
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

oo wonder what this feels like......
Appreciate 0