BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

12-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Corsa Exhaust -- Putting lipstick on a pig

Within a week of getting my M3, I ordered the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust. Like everyone, I was a huge fan of the craftsmanship, weight, looks, and performance of the system. But I eventually realized I was not a huge fan of the sound. In particular, I found it too bassy at low RPMs and felt it disappeared at higher RPM.

After listening to sound clips of numerous other exhausts and speaking with several people, it seemed the Corsa exhaust would give me the best chance of achieving my ideal tone: Minimal low-RPM boominess, minimal rasp, and a higher-pitched exotic sound. There is simply no denying that the Corsa exhaust for the M3 is a great sounding exhaust:

The problem? The Corsa is a bit rough on the eyes. The cans are large and hang low, and the tips are too small:

The Corsa's less-than-appealling looks were a big issue for me because the Akrapovic exhaust is, in my opinion, one of -- if not the -- best looking exhausts for the M3. Would I have to give up the great looks of the Akrapovic for the sound of the Corsa?

I decided to call Kris and Mark at Luftkraft Fabrication to see what they might be able to do. For those of you that don't know, Luftkraft is an amazing fabrication and finishing shop in Colorado Springs. They do work on a variety of things, from custom high-end bike frames to classic cars (e.g., Ford GTs and VW Busses) to modern sports cars and exotics (Porsches, Audis, Lamborghinis, and BMWs).

I first got in touch with Luftkraft to do a set of custom roundels and center caps for me. I wanted them in OEM colors, except with the chrome parts in Titanium Silver Metallic. They came out great!

Aside from doing great work, the guys at Luftkraft are among the nicest guys I have ever dealt with. They are always upbeat and in a great mood. I know they are busy, but they never make me feel like I'm bothering them when I call or e-mail. And I don't think Mark or Kris ever said "no" to anything I inquired about; whatever I was looking for, they said they could do it.

In speaking with the guys at Luftkraft, the original plan was to ceramic coat the cans and connecting pipes in a flat black and the tips in a satin silver. They also said they could add a logo on the tips, as my original intent was to put "///M" logos on them.

I then stumbled on this thread where "ROBS2K" discussed custom tips for his Corsa exhaust. As it turns out, he had the tips from the MRF Velaforza exhaust welded to his Corsa. I thought that was a great solution, because the Velaforza tips are, in my opinion, on par with the Akrapovic tips:

But because the MRF tips were so much wider than the stock Corsa tips, using the MRF tips would require us to make a new version of the "Y" outlet pipe that connects the tips to the muffler. Of course, Luftkraft said it would be no problem for them. A quick call to Malek at MRF confirmed that he still had several sets of the Velaforza tips in stock. He graciously agreed to drop-ship a set to Luftkraft in Colorado. That same day, I had a Corsa drop-shipped from Turner to Luftkraft. A week later, everything arrived in Colorado Springs and the guys at Luftkraft got to work.

One issue I didn't expect is that the Velaforza tips were much longer than the Corsa tips:

I feared the project might end there, but of course the guys at Luftkraft said it was no problem, and assured me they could cut the tips down to length without anyone ever being able to tell they'd been cut:

With the tips cut down and with the new, wider "Y-pipes" done, it was time to start welding everything together:

Here is the finished product after welding:

Here's a comparison shot of the factory Corsa tips and "Y-pipes," and the MRF tips with the new "Y-pipes" that Luftkraft made:

With the fabrication work done, it was time to start the ceramic coating. Luftkraft started with a primer for the ceramic:

After that, they ceramic coated everything in black. Although it looks like an uneven gloss finish in these photos, the black becomes even and satiny after it cures.

Once the black was laid down, they masked the exhaust and coated the tips in silver:

The final stage was to lay down the logos on the tips. In speaking with Kris, we agreed to go with logos on the sides rather than ones on the top, which might be concealed by the rear valence or a diffuser (if I ever went that route). As I said, I originally envisioned doing "///M" logos. But on a bit of whim, I got the idea of doing the Luftkraft logo instead. The logo is a bird (I like to think it's a humming bird) with a serpent in its belly:

I asked Kris if they would be willing to lend their logo to the project and he said they would be honored to do so. (And, of course, they agreed it would look great!)

There were only two problems: First, it was unanimously agreed that the logo would look odd if the bird's beak was oriented to the left instead of the right, thus preventing us from using it on the left-hand tips in each pair. Second, the new formulation of ceramic they used for the tips would prevent the logos from adhering properly. (A test run on a piece of scrap confirmed this.)

The solution to the first problem was to go with logos only on the right-hand tips in each pair. I was a bit unsure about the asymmetry at first, but Mark assured me it would look great. The solution to the second problem was to etch the logos instead of laying them down with ceramic. To get different shades, they would use different methods of etching. Mark was confident it would look good and I put my complete faith in him. I'm glad I did! Within two hours of talking these issues over with Mark on the phone, he sent me photos of the finished result. I couldn't be happier:

The exhaust will ship out on Monday for install with Malek at MRF Engineering. I will update this thread with photos of the exhaust on the car and, hopefully, a sound clip (if I can figure out how to get the GoPro my wife got me for Christmas to work!).

In the meantime, if you are looking for some good fabrication or finishing work for your M3, particularly to put some lipstick on your pig of an exhaust, I cannot recommend Kris and Mark at Luftkraft Fabrication enough. As you can see from the photos, they can pretty much do anything you can dream up.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Hujan; 12-27-2013 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Mmmdreamer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black

Nice one! Gotta say, I saw the Corsa exhaust on an M and was like WTF is that exhaust because it looked worse than stock...so good on you to take that sound and improve the look. Akra def can't be beat in the looks dept.
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #3
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Way to go on Customization!
      12-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Great solution and work! Cant wait to see it installed...
      12-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
SoCal BimMn'
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: LCI AW F80 ///M3

Way to go on the customizing of your exhaust they look top notch

Last edited by SoCal BimMn'; 12-27-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

At first I thought you were in Colorado, then I realized you were getting everything shipped. What a cool shop. The exhaust looks 1000% better than before, can't wait to see finished product!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Awesome work. I regret selling my corsa. While I didn't like the original tips the sound is the best I have heard from a e92 m3. It does sound exotic w it. You solved this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
That looks sweet!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Wow. Great work...can't wait to see it installed!

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Exceptional write-up and I can't wait to see it all finished up and on your M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

very nicely done, including logo!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Sweet. Glad I inspired you to do the same. The Corsa tips look terrible but you cannot beat the sound IMO. Great job and post pics when its all on the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Love your/the attention to detail. I think my favorite part is the etched logo but Im sure the tips will look amazing tucked under the rear bumper. I love these one off projects.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

good job

I had the Corsa exhaust before and the only thing I did'nt like was the look, definetly one of the best sound for an M3!!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmdreamer View Post
Nice one! Gotta say, I saw the Corsa exhaust on an M and was like WTF is that exhaust because it looked worse than stock...so good on you to take that sound and improve the look. Akra def can't be beat in the looks dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Way to go on Customization!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Great solution and work! Cant wait to see it installed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal BimMn' View Post
Way to go on the customizing of your exhaust they look top notch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
That looks sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins333 View Post
very nicely done, including logo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
Wow. Great work...can't wait to see it installed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Exceptional write-up and I can't wait to see it all finished up and on your M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
Love your/the attention to detail. I think my favorite part is the etched logo but Im sure the tips will look amazing tucked under the rear bumper. I love these one off projects.
Thanks, guys! I'm glad you like it. I will definitely follow up with photos of it installed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
good job

I had the Corsa exhaust before and the only thing I did'nt like was the look, definetly one of the best sound for an M3!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Awesome work. I regret selling my corsa. While I didn't like the original tips the sound is the best I have heard from a e92 m3. It does sound exotic w it. You solved this issue.
Thanks, guys! Yeah, as much as I hated the look, I kept coming back to the Corsa for its sound. Hopefully this and Rob's identical project will help others realize they can eat their cake and have it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
At first I thought you were in Colorado, then I realized you were getting everything shipped. What a cool shop. The exhaust looks 1000% better than before, can't wait to see finished product!
Thanks! I cannot recommend Luftkraft enough. I put a very high priority on customer service and Mark and Kris are flat out the best I've dealt with. BPM, Malek/MRF, iND, and Luftkraft have the best customer service in the business, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Sweet. Glad I inspired you to do the same. The Corsa tips look terrible but you cannot beat the sound IMO. Great job and post pics when its all on the car.
What up, Rob! You definitely inspired me to give it a go. I really appreciated your thread and the photo you posted showing the new "Y-pipe." The only problem with my exhaust is that I won't be putting it on a LSB M3. Your car is (was?) amazing!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Initially i thought the "pig" in the title was the E92 M3, but I couldn't of been more wrong. The stock corsa is damn ugly.

Very cool customization, love the attention to detail. Cant wait to see the finished product on the car!
      12-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Very nice! I love the custom work! First time going to MRF? You will love it.

Last edited by JEllis; 12-28-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

That video you posted was of my old E90

Good job on the mods. Looks perfect now.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
Teeopi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Pics after install!
      12-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
tacoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1989 E30 M3 and 2010 E90 M3

X
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Idk how those tips made it into production over at corsa. but the exhaust does sound pretty dam good. those new tips look incredible although probs costed a lot like most things that are incredible do. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
demonglide
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: k3

Exhaust

Awesome craftsmanship looks very clean an mean all in one love it
Appreciate 0