BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Logic 101: if M3>RS4 and RS4>IS-F then M3 pwnz IS-F

heheh....

Check out the edmunds article comparing the IS-F vs RS4: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123158

I love the comment regarding the incredibly fugly stacked exhaust tips that aren't even really exhaust tips but mere riced-out jewelry.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Not according to these test results.

IS-F test results from Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...ecs-page4.html
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 172 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

The latest M3 results that was tested in europe that might have been euro spec posted much better times. It's in the M3 vs C63 vs RS-4 thread. Check it out, the M3 is impressive as always.

edmunds.com bastards need to get their facts straight...

in Full Test: 2008 Audi S5 the article states the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
"this compares to the 420-hp Audi RS4's 4.7-second acceleration to 60 mph and its quarter-mile pass of 13.2 seconds at 106.8 mph."

but the article in question (Comparison Test: 2007 Audi RS4 vs. 2008 Lexus IS-F) states this:

"the RS4 digs its claws into the pavement and catapults forward to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds and on through the quarter-mile in 12.8 seconds at 108.5 mph"
In the end, the C63 will smoke all of them. The M3 will still be the best handling car out of all of them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I actually expected a little better from Lexus then what I read in that review. Silly me for thinking Lexus could build a propper sports car its first try.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I at first hated the IS-F's looks, but the more I see it the more I like and all things considered the IS-F sounds like a very interesting car. It's got impeccable quality (though very Japanese) and it's reliability is without question, but the fact that it's performance and handling are getting such positive remarks leads me to think as a second-hand car this is quite possibly the one to go for because I doubt it will hold it's value as well as the others, solely based on the fact it's new to the market and people will be a little weary.

Though the same was thought about the R8 when it was released and now it's commanding as much as £30K over list according to Topgear.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
IS-F test results from Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...ecs-page4.html
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 172 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

The latest M3 results that was tested in europe that might have been euro spec posted much better times. It's in the M3 vs C63 vs RS-4 thread. Check it out, the M3 is impressive as always.

edmunds.com bastards need to get their facts straight...

in Full Test: 2008 Audi S5 the article states the following:

In the end, the C63 will smoke all of them. The M3 will still be the best handling car out of all of them.
The IS-F may be faster in the straight line
but handling won't compare as much to the E92 M3...
the Straight line is all it has...
and the C63 will take that away from it (I think)

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
heheh....

Check out the edmunds article comparing the IS-F vs RS4: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123158

I love the comment regarding the incredibly fugly stacked exhaust tips that aren't even really exhaust tips but mere riced-out jewelry.
You mean this (source http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...91&postcount=3). Totally agree. A truly embarrasing form over function faux pas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote of the century from that article re: RS4 interior trim:

Quote:
(Brushed aluminum is also available but isn't as fast as carbon fiber.)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Everytime I see this car it looks worse, it will not age well, being that it starts life as an aesthetic corpse.
But for the ladder climbing tuner it will be king, pre-tuned, precooked rice straight from the factory, a couple of stickers and it's time to eat.
But really just a lux sedan with a great motor. Real drivers will go with a base model GT-R for this price.
Not sure why Lexus gets under my skin, as it does lots of other auto enthusiasts, maybe it's because they do cars so well, but never feel genuine. Like a sports car version of a theme park, fun and looks close but still just a simulation.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Everytime I see this car it looks worse, it will not age well, being that it starts life as an aesthetic corpse.
But for the ladder climbing tuner it will be king, pre-tuned, precooked rice straight from the factory, a couple of stickers and it's time to eat.
But really just a lux sedan with a great motor. Real drivers will go with a base model GT-R for this price.
Not sure why Lexus gets under my skin, as it does lots of other auto enthusiasts, maybe it's because they do cars so well, but never feel genuine. Like a sports car version of a theme park, fun and looks close but still just a simulation.
It is sad that the perception of many is that if it's European it's nice and if it's Japanese it's rice. I am assuming that you have driven one since you already have made your conclusion that it's just a luxury sedan with a great motor. Because so far all of the magazines that have tested it are very impressed and surprise with it's handling and road feel. Granted it probably would never feel like a BMW let alone beat one in handling. In regards on Lexus doing so well, just so you know, BMW is the best selling luxury car maker in the world for a while now and has so far sold 1 million + cars this year already.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
It is sad that the perception of many is that if it's European it's nice and if it's Japanese it's rice. I am assuming that you have driven one since you already have made your conclusion that it's just a luxury sedan with a great motor. Because so far all of the magazines that have tested it are very impressed and surprise with it's handling and road feel. Granted it probably would never feel like a BMW let alone beat one in handling. In regards on Lexus doing so well, just so you know, BMW is the best selling luxury car maker in the world for a while now and has so far sold 1 million + cars this year already.
...but what he bolded holds true. Lexus cars are just missing soul!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
jtown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

That exhaust is hilarious. I can't believe it!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Details, details

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown View Post
That exhaust is hilarious. I can't believe it!
It is often the attention to small details that makes or breaks a brand/model. Just to not get in to it too hard with Lexus fans the car appears to be fantastic by all tests thus far. It does appear Lexus has finally put some Toyota suspension/chassis magic in to the IS-F.

However, this glaring display of RICE is simply inexcuseable. Perhaps even tragic on such a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag335 View Post
I actually expected a little better from Lexus then what I read in that review. Silly me for thinking Lexus could build a propper sports car its first try.
And that's all it is. A first attempt. I hate those stupid exhausts and the hood bulge. But there are positive things IMO. I really like the interior, the front bumper, the wheels, the paints etc. It also seems to be performing well. I'm sure next time round if Lexus takes criticism onboard, they'll replace the IS-F with something that more people will like!

Regarding the thread title: Logic 101: if M3>RS4 and RS4>IS-F then M3 pwnz IS-F , I think it's not exactly 100% if the M3 is better than the RS4. In what way? To whom? Everyone has their own opinions and some people still prefer the RS4. There was a review the other day in which someone took the RS4 over the M3 and C63! Despite being older I think the RS4 has done amazingly.

I think the exterior is also based on opinion. I'm just not blown away with the M3 like I was with the old E46. The new M3 doesnt look chunky/aggressive and isnt too different from the Msport except fussier/uglier. The RS4 doesnt blow me away as much now either, I'd put the visuals on the same level as the M3. That says a lot despite not being a coupe AND being older. Oh yeah and it did blow me away when I first seen it, unlike the M3

One thing's for sure IMO though, the S5 rocks! it looks worlds ahead of the M3 especially in class. It isnt even an M3 competitor. I wonder what the RS5 will do to it! *drool*
      10-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
However, this glaring display of RICE is simply inexcuseable. Perhaps even tragic on such a car.
I cant understand what they were thinking. The stacked quads were bad enough, they only needed one oval exhaust on each side, but the quads arent even hooked up!
      10-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #15
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
HKS,

The Lexus isn't to everyone's taste, you are quite right but the same goes for every design out there. I have a S5 and I agree on looks it's ahead of the current competition, including the M3 but it's not a patch on it when it come of the driving experience, and this is not the usual argument of powerslide versus none but the actual driving experience of the controls and the feel of the thing.

I know the RS4 is miles better than the S5 but whether it's better than the M3 is up for debate, some prefer the M3 while others the RS4. The interesting thing is that to date no one has preferred the C63 as yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Good points bro. I know the S5 wont match the driving experience, it's not even an M3 Rival, but regarding the looks, the S5 is so much better than the M3 in my opinion. Even just seeing the stock A5 is special. What a beautiful design, pics can never justify it.

And yeah I agree with you there, it comes down to opinion. Some people can drive quattro systems very well and will prefer the Audi over the BMW but both are great machines. I was merely pointing out that the RS4 is older and is still puting up a great fight! It even looks great though it's not a coupe!

Good point about the C63 though I actually had high hopes for it when I read a first-impressions article. I think it was CAR Magazine, not too sure. But I remember they said something to the effect of there was no shortage of power and handling was stepped up too...

Oh yeah and congrats on the S5, got any pics? I'd love to see it! what combo you got?
      10-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
It's Black with red leather. I nice combination if I do say so myself, will get some photos up loaded for you soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
It's Black with red leather. I nice combination if I do say so myself, will get some photos up loaded for you soon.
Thanks
      10-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sounds nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Yes, pics please (not sure which forum though to prevent flaming, maybe here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36). Sounds like a mean color combo!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #20
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

As the initiator of this thread with a title that I must admit, is slightly juvenile, let me for the record say that I do own an RS4. I took delivery of my dealer's first example and have loved every mile of the 12250 that it currently has, many of which were logged at local track events and DE's. As I count the days to December when my M3 goes into production, I have to say that I am not entirely sold on the M3 being a better overall car than the RS4. For all I know, I already have the better car (for me) sitting in my garage right now. So in some ways I feel hesitant to trade it away when the M3 arrives, knowing that it was a relatively limited-production car (compared to the M3) that will shortly be discontinued yet remain coveted. But I know myself enough when the time does arrive. I am an irresolute car junkie that almost finds enjoyment in waffling between car purchase decisions, to a degree that I often find myself changing cars more often than I change oil. So whether it is a better car than the RS4 or not, M3 here I come regardless. Come to butthead. As long as I find published justification or even just hearsay that certain other cars like the IS-F have deferred to the RS4, I'm comfortable with my decision to go with the M3........ Or am I?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #21
paulyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #22
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
For those who might have thought the IS-F wasn't quicker than the IS350.

Check this out and then reconsider if the M3 will be able to walk it in a drag race.

**************************car-videos/11...exus-IS350.htm
Appreciate 0