BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

1-Series Tii Concept Recalls M3

Alright don't flame because this really involves the 1 series Tii, but I stumbled across this article through 1addicts.com and thought some of you might like to take a look and contribute. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the M3 straying from its original roots...too heavy, lazy steering, etc. There isn't too much info on the Tii yet (especially what is going to be under the hood), but some are already making parallels to the true M3 spirit. At least its a change of pace from pointless pricing arguments and the everlasting battle over the C63 and the Audi RS4/5...hope you enjoy.

the article:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...eries/228748/#

some good pics from the tokyo auto show:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1944
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Sorry,

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91380

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

thanks..sorry i missed it. i hate re-posters!

still would like to know what you think about the tii being more like an m3.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
still would like to know what you think about the tii being more like an m3.
Looks pretty cool, but weight and power are unknown yet. So I'm not sure what to think about it. What's really hot are the seats and the brakes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerwithholes View Post
it's hot in the pic...but I wouldn't do it.
with the stripes and stuff.....
since 1's are gonna be cheap and all these ricers gonna own one...this street racer look is a no go for me.
This tii won't/wouldn't be cheap you can be assured.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

To me the M3 has always been a sports car that can give a Porsche a run for its money while wearing sheeps clothing, costing less than the competition, and with a ride that wont make me spill my coffee.

Is the Tii a Porsche beater? I doubt it

Is it fun to drive? I am sure its awesome to drive

Will the M3 be faster? Yep

I am not running to change my M3 order over this, although the idea is great.

Jason
      10-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
southlight
Rep

Quote:
1's will be cheap...that's all it matters to most people (non car enthusiast.)
If prestige or image is all what you're seeking after, then you're right.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

IMO; it is an over the top car, ugly in it`s basics this is the ultimate attempt to make something out off it. Mission impossible to me.

- headlight are MF ugly
- tires/rimms to small, wheel arches, especialy the back ones, to big
- striping makes it so Japanese/American
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
1's will be cheap...that's all it matters to most people (non car enthusiast.)
It will be priced where the 3-series used to be priced. Do remember that the 3-series has moved up-market.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Wow, I think it's awesome.

Does anyone think this will come to the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
oh really? I thought 135 is gonna be 35k & well equipped.
125 is like 28k or something?
That's near the price point of the previous 3-series.

Quote:

and by cheap I just mean there will be lotta of 1's.....
There are a shitload of 3's too.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
ever heard of inflation?
if you don't think lotta highschooler or college kid will drive 1's.....then that's your opinion.
I think there will be.....and we don't need to argue about that.
No argument bro, but it just sounds a bit silly considering high-schooler's drive 3-series cars now. What you're saying about the 1-series already applies to the 3-series, and has been for quite awhile. You mention inflation, and try to act as though such a term doesn't apply to the 3-series. I find it laughable, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

1ntensified Performance Orientation

The Concept.

The introduction of the BMW 1er Coupe Tii Concept showcases the 1ntentions of the 1 series brand.
Introduced as a hatchback first back in 2004 it has took all the best of 3 years to fully establish the BMW 1er as the ultimate in compact premium hatchback showcasing desirability , dynamics and agility over space and function and the 1er as a standalone car has been extremely successful even though the car is not sold in the North American market.

Function followed through and the expansion of the BMW 1er brand has been rapid. In March 2007 the introduction of a 3dr sporthatch increased the credentials of BMW's dynamic compact hatch. And to the beginning of an exciting Summer the introduction of the BMW 1er Coupe. which would see the introduction of the BMW 1er brand to the USA.
(as announced by myself and Eni many moons ago)
Following the anticipation of the 1er Coupe and the process of ramping up the excitement of this small car the autumn leaves fall and the introduction of the BMW 1er Cabrio sets the mood for an exciting start to 2008.

The introduction of the Tokyo Concept Car is not by coincidence .
BMW know greatly that the 1er for many cutomers is the next step from the MINI brand. And know from history that the expansion of models in each segment always brings interest from buyers who are downsizing. As are buyers from other premium brands who feel that their current car does not offer the excitement enthusiast drivers crave.

When History repeats itself.

BMW knew exactly where to go to expand the 1er brand - Backwards. as a company intent on looking forwards. the about turn was to look at what has gone before. Looking back at the 2002 models and you can see the the mirror image in the BMW 1er from the strong both tub like line across the shoulder to the high roof line (on the Coupe) Granted the 2002 was not available as a hatchback in those days (thank you VW Golf Mk1) But the 1er Coupe and cabrio do have ancestors in the shape of the 2002 .

The introdcution of the BMW 1er Concept tii is not coincidence regarding the strategy for the 1er Coupe . BMW want the 1er Coupe to remain small , sporty , precise and relevant hence the introduction of performance and efficient diesels and the top line model for now 135i.
Next year BMW intend to expand the 1er Coupe line with an entry model (seen here as the Concept) running a turbo charged four cylinder engine from the BMW 320Si WTCC car running out 240 PS - This as a basic performance model will be aimed right at enthusiasts A more 1ntended tii L will feature as a Concept showcasing a luxury less enthusiast model. Although the top model will remain (for now) 135i. Final details on the last performance model will not be announced until late 2009 in which the Concept in a seperate ways also makes you think of 1mprovement and 1ntention.

Just like looking in a mirror?

BMW know one of the key success of the MINI brand has been the option equipment such as bonnet stripes styling that personalizes your car.
A similar programme will be offered with the 1er Coupe with additional BMW performance parts such as gearsticks , pedals , handbrake grips , door sills , color and material co-ordinated styling packages for the interior.
exterior modicfications such as bonnet stripes and other M-Sport and tii design markings. Some that will refer back to the glory days of the 2002 model. BMW do not like tuners that completely bastardize their products so this is their 1nititiative to keep customers with BMW branded preformance parts similar to what MINI offers.

The 1ntention of the focus on the 1er Coupe is due to the simple reason of progress - everything moves forward and now it is the time to 1ntice and 1ntroduce BMW to much younger enthusiasts . Young people are fascinated with BMW because of a car like the M3 or the M5 but for most these cars are out of reach for some. As a company BMW have tailored their products to the premium segment with the 1er it all aimed at introducing a Youthful approach to the BMW brand .
The 1er Coupe is a car we want young people to engage with , The Concept tii is one approach in a two phase programme - preview a ultra performance enthusiasts car and showcase a performance package which would appeal even if they have the basic model.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
exactly...that's why m6 has this 30+ image...M3 has a younger image
Yes high schooler & college students are already driving the 3's
So if high schooler are driving 3's......what about the 1's?
Lower class maybe?

people on this board says C is a wanna be MB.....now why would they say that? lol

I wouldn't say that the ///M3 is a sub-30 image. Average BMW drivers are 40+.

As far as 3 vs 1, it's all about style. Not to mention that the 1 is something new. People will be interested in it because it's different. It doesn't mean that they are of lower class. Hell, 3-series buyers could be seen as lower class because we didn't buy a 5 or 7. Different needs for different people!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
kishg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 540i/6

tii is a great idea.. doubt it will come to us. we will have to be happy with 135 M-Sport.
BMWCCA #360858 SCCA# 374179 NASA # 128290
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Inflation does apply to 3's that's why it's 45k rite now.......lol are you trying to be funny?
No! You misunderstand the reasoning. The 3-series moved up-market to make room for the 1-series. This has already been discussed by BMW, and magazine publications. It's marketing strategy.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
what you talking about....1's are there fore a long time.
btw....are there alot of high schooler driving the current 3's? I donno what pt were u trying to make.
Not in North America bro. I am talking specifically about our market here. I didn't make this strategy up. It was discussed in publication.

As for the issue w/ youngin's driving 3's, you said:

"if you don't think lotta highschooler or college kid will drive 1's.....then that's your opinion.
I think there will be.....and we don't need to argue about that.
"

My point was that high schoolers already drive 3's, so what difference will it make? Absolutely none! You were trying to imply that because 1's are cheaper than 3's, then that would be the main reason that high schoolers will be behind the wheel of BMW cars (..implying cheapness/lower class). My point is that your assumption is not reality.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #17
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
avg bmw drivers are 40+.....and you just said high schooler are driving the 3's.......

Not lower class....it's cheaper for sure. Hence a lot more younger people will buy it get it?

As you said before different class for different people......
1's are for younger people. Hence when you put stripe on the car it'll look like a race car wannabe. So it's a ricer.
Why are you getting confused?
Average!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know how to compute an average?

I think you are confusing yourself with your own arguments.

We can add whatever ricer 1's to the long list of already riced 3's.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

[QUOTE=bimmerwithholes;1587130
If you don't get younger people have less money and will buy cheaper car
I don't know what else to say to you.

[/QUOTE]

I used to think that too when I was younger and had less money and bought cars I couldn't really afford, so I could appear to fit into the crowd I aspired to.

Then I grew up (still working on that though) and got a stronger sense of self image. Now I just buy the car that I enjoy driving. Cheaper, ricer, whatever. If someone wants to stereotype me because of the car I drive, well then.... that amuses me. Because they'd be quite wrong!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

How does a car dreamed up by Germans and purpose built by BMW receive the "rice" qualifier?

Jason
      10-24-2007, 10:37 PM   #20
Hotan Braskey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M on Order- VO please

I think this looks very promising, and I am sure it will be great to drive. I kind of like the stripes because it seems like it doesn't take itself too seriously- perfect for the Mini customer looking to step up into a BMW. Depending on how much weight savings there is and what powerplant is being used, there is some serious potential for this to be a great performer.