M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

KW Clubsport 3-Way for F10M5

These might be a bit overkill ... but I did see some crazie F10M5 track stars on here.

http://www.kw-store.com/products/kw-...t-kit-111.html

It looks nice ... with helper springs and all

Does anyone know the spring type/rate?

Do they mean 3-way = 1. Low Speed Compression 2. High Speed Compression 3. Low/High Speed Rebound?

Also, does Ohlins have a R&T kit for this car like they have for e90m3?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
6spdterror
Route Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 ///M6 Gran Coupe

At $6300.......i would think theyre overkill!
04 Honda Pilot (everyday car)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

We have the Clubsports installed on the iND F10 M5. Surprisingly the kit is very comfortable on the street and very forgiving on the track.
      11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
We have the Clubsports installed on the iND F10 M5. Surprisingly the kit is very comfortable on the street and very forgiving on the track.
Not surprising if the kit was 7-post dyno tuned to this chassis @ KW.
Do you happen to know the spring type and the spring rates and what the 3-way adjusts?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Not surprising if the kit was 7-post dyno tuned to this chassis @ KW.
Do you happen to know the spring type and the spring rates and what the 3-way adjusts?
You may have already looked at the KW info at http://www.kw-store.com/products/kw-...t-kit-111.html

I talked to a KW rep on the phone today and he wasn't up to speed on exactly how their part is configured for the F10 M5. The EDC needs to be disabled on our F10 model, but it is NOT included as part of the Clubsport package for some reason, and costs an additional $490! The identical EDC delete module is available with the V3 coilovers for an additional $300, and he wasn't able to explain the cost difference....... Said it was just the price structure that KW has set for the shock packages...... So, they charge $6,348.99 for the Clubsport shocks, and an extra $490 for the EDC delete module, and $3,249.99 for the V3 set with the EDC module an additional $300! Very strange. The springs on the V3 are progressive while the Clubsport are a linear rate more oriented to track use. He didn't know spring rates on either set. He also said that changing the V3 springs to a linear rate spring would void the warranty.

IND has said on this forum that the Clubsport on their M5 felt "very comfortable on the street". I'd like to feel that comfort before I plunk down $7K for suspension.

I talked to Luke at Tire Rack and his thinking is that the Clubsport is very, very stiff for street use and he wouldn't recommend it for street use. But, that opinion is based on previous Clubsport coilovers on other models of cars.

More research needed before purchase for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

The added adjustability of the Clubsports seems like the only positive in this case. But really ....the 2-way adjustability of the V3s is enough for any amateur ...to even a pro.
If they stiffened the springs anymore (over the V3 springs) its not going to be as comfortable or compliant.
I am very happy with the V3s on my F10M5 so far. They seem very well suited to the weight of this car and I honestly think that this setup is pretty much the limit for the comfort vs. handling compromise. You truly get the best of both worlds w the V3s ....comfort when you just want to get around ....and stability when you just want to get on it.

F10M5 = "The luxurious beast"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am very happy with the V3s on my F10M5 so far. They seem very well suited to the weight of this car and I honestly think that this setup is pretty much the limit for the comfort vs. handling compromise.
Somehow I'd missed that you already have the V3 package on your car. Thanks for the report and for my use I think the V3 will be more than adequate for the few trackdays I'll do each year. One question though, for the F10 M5 has the rebound adjustment been moved from the top of the piston rod? We can't access that once the shock is mounted. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Somehow I'd missed that you already have the V3 package on your car. Thanks for the report and for my use I think the V3 will be more than adequate for the few trackdays I'll do each year. One question though, for the F10 M5 has the rebound adjustment been moved from the top of the piston rod? We can't access that once the shock is mounted. Thanks for your input.
You can easily access the front top adjustment via a 19-position allen click bolt on top of the shock tower, once you open the hood.
However, the rears are covered by the trunk liner. You can have access holes cut or spend 10 minutes removing and reinstalling the trunk side inner liners everytime you want to adjust the rears. You would only do that everytime you go to the track and once or twice when you initially have the kit installed and you know what settings you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can easily access the front top adjustment via a 19-position allen click bolt on top of the shock tower, once you open the hood.
However, the rears are covered by the trunk liner. You can have access holes cut or spend 10 minutes removing and reinstalling the trunk side inner liners everytime you want to adjust the rears.
Thank you, I have to admit to complete brain fade. Somehow I didn't process that the boot for the EDC will be gone, and that there is an opening there for the shock.......! We've had some power outages here from a fun little ice storm and we just got power back. Do you use the EDC delete module from KW? I've been told that without it the car might think there is a suspension problem and limit other aspects of performance. Just speculation from Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I have to admit to complete brain fade. Somehow I didn't process that the boot for the EDC will be gone, and that there is an opening there for the shock.......! We've had some power outages here from a fun little ice storm and we just got power back. Do you use the EDC delete module from KW? I've been told that without it the car might think there is a suspension problem and limit other aspects of performance. Just speculation from Tire Rack.
Yes...I use the EDC delete modules.
AFAIK, the only downside to not installing the KW EDC modules is a warning light on the dash....at least that was the case with the e92m3.
However, I would not put it past the new generation of DSC nannies to make life difficult if the 18 computers cant agree on a missing signal.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F82 M4

Liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek
Quote:
However, the rears are covered by the trunk liner. You can have access holes cut or spend 10 minutes removing and reinstalling the trunk side inner liners everytime you want to adjust the rears. You would only do that everytime you go to the track and once or twice when you initially have the kit installed and you know what settings you prefer.
Any instructions on how to remove rear liner?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
However, I would not put it past the new generation of DSC nannies to make life difficult if the 18 computers cant agree on a missing signal.
Yeah, I think the complicated computer system BMW has developed must be very difficult to deal with. Hence no real programmable engine tune available yet, and perhaps never. With that situation BMW will be able to set a high dollar value for HP upgrade options when they sell new cars in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPM5 View Post
Good question -- I have not attempted this yet, since I feel my rear setup is ideal right now.
There might be a set of BMW instructions that deals with removing the rear liners to get to a certain unit for repair or replacement.... but usually it's a simple process of removing a few push-n-spread plastic buttons that hold the liners to the body interior. Just takes some investigating and prying with those plastic interior removal tools.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Nate@IND
Rep
Drives: BMW

Here are some closeup shots of the Clubsport kit-

Quote:
Here are some shots. Back seat and rear rear parcel shelf need to be removed along with trunk liner for the EDC resistor install.

12-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Easy..

Quote:
Quote:
Good question -- I have not attempted this yet, since I feel my rear setup is ideal right now.
There might be a set of BMW instructions that deals with removing the rear liners to get to a certain unit for repair or replacement.... but usually it's a simple process of removing a few push-n-spread plastic buttons that hold the liners to the body interior. Just takes some investigating and prying with those plastic interior removal tools.
Ok, very easy!!!! Take out your speaker covers and unscrew 3 bolts that hold the bigger speaker in place. Pull the speaker up carefully and look inside. The top of the shock is visible. Adjust from there.

No need to take out rear deck.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #16
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, very easy!!!! Take out your speaker covers and unscrew 3 bolts that hold the bigger speaker in place. Pull the speaker up carefully and look inside. The top of the shock is visible. Adjust from there.

Oh nice.
Can you reach the KW top adjustment with an Allen wrench or bit driver?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Nate, thanks for the pics.
Nice setup. I like how there are helper springs front and rear.
How about some technical info on these. Spring rates? Spring type? 3-way = ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
CPM5
Catch me if you can
United_States
Rep

Yes.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh nice.
Can you reach the KW top adjustment with an Allen wrench or bit driver?
Yes, i used my KW adjustment knob
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

What about 2way clubsports?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
The KW V3 are 2-way
The Clubsport are 3-way
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Quote:
The KW V3 are 2-way
The Clubsport are 3-way
Um my friends have 2way clubsports.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Um my friends have 2way clubsports.
Ok. I dont know what car your friends have.
For the F10M5 its KWV3 = 2-way ....and KWCS = 3-way
Appreciate 0