BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
perf exhausts legal?

Just wondering if anyone knows the legalities / road rules of exhausts.
The Perf exhausts aren't sold in Australia - now is this because they simply did not think it worth while getting it approved for such a small market? or because they would not meet regulations?

With that, if i were to put a perf exhaust on to my car is it legal/does it meet the regulations?

On the same topic, how do custom exhausts fit into this?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Don't know who informed you of that detail (being not legal in Australia) but there are many of us here who have a BMW Performance exhaust or something much, much louder without any issues. Don't hoon it infront of a cop and you'll be fine, and, if they want to be difficult show them the BMW Performance plaque on the muffler to put them in their place.

To some, 'too loud' would be something like full catless + whatever performance exhaust but if you're not WOT it's perfectly fine.

iPE on a M3 is just ridiculous (but awesome and I want it lol)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
AshOz125i
Private
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 1er

I think you would be fine if u put it on. I think the cops would be less inclined to fine you for a tasteful exhaust mod in a BMW, especially when it's a BMW branded part.

I guess if push came to shove you could offer to show them it's not a aftermarket part. I mean it's not like your driving a lancer with a fart cannon on the back.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Wasn't as much concerned about the police, but rather insurance. For example if i was at fault and caused a shed load of damage to someone else's property but find my exhaust to not be legal...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
the BMW performance exhaust is not sold or marketed in Australia and therefore it is technically not legal here because it has not been tested for our emissions standard. However it is legal in EU and conforms to their much more stringent emissions standards. The noise is not an issue. Cops have no idea and as long as its an OEM BMW part they wouldn't care. Insurance companies are the same. The only issue you can encounter is even if you do put it on your insurance as a factory mod, because it is actually not available in AU you will not get it replaced in case of a rear end accident.
I dont' think anyone can prove your exhaust to be the cause or contributor to any possible accidents your car may suffer... and it certainly does not void warranty!
      10-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Perf Exhaust has not been ADR certified for Noise Emissions.

As such it is "technically" not legal - unless you got a mod plate (I assume).

However, its got BMW Stamped all over it so no one is ever gonna question it.
      10-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Cheers thanks guy,
I guess i should stop worrying about it!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Check the sticky for details on VSB14 which most states now adopts. Any exhaust system that doesn't alter the noise or emission then you don't need a mod plate. Otherwise it needs a mode plate under LA4 and must comply with LT3, and LT4.

For the performance exhaust the emissions won't be a problem and I think there is enough proof that it won't be needing a LT3, but it would be interesting to see if it will comply with LT4 and it probably do.

The modified exhaust can't be more than 5db above the specified value and for the 135i it is done at 4950rpm and the stated value is 89db so it needs to be under 94db - but remember 5db is 40% louder.

The tests procedure can be found here:
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...ent/noise.aspx

In terms of insurance, they can make some trouble if you are unlucky to have an assessor who decided not to like you if they deem your car not road worthy. However, the policy will not stand up in court.

If you have modified your car before the date we changed over to the VSB14, then the old state laws apply. In qld, you don't need a mod plate for exhaust previous to the VSB14, and there is still an exemption because of lack of facilities provided you can provide evidence when you get check that it complies with ADR standards.

Honestly I think currently police do focus on dodgy modified cars and when they look and see a BMW stamp on the performance exhaust you won't have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA

iPE on a M3 is just ridiculous (but awesome and I want it lol)

Ipe sounds better on NA. The supercharger just made it awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Not to put any more concern in you OP, but just to be fully aware, I sold the PE off my wife's 125i as she didn't really enjoy the sound of it as much as I did, and it was her car.

It was sold to my mate who within 3 weeks was issued with a notice in the mail from the EPA, as some random person had decided that his car was too loud and reported it.

Now that's pretty unlucky, and what was required was for him to replace it with the stock muffler, pay to have it tested and approved, then take it to Vic Roads and show them the paperwork and that the stock system was still in place. Once done, he put it back on.

Now I say unlucky as I would expect this is quite rare, hell I haven't even had an issue with my GTR and that pipe is virtually straight though. So just be aware that this may happen. On a turbo motor they're not as loud, on the NA 6 of a 125i, they do make some noise. Just don't drive like a clown in quiet neighbourhoods and you should be sweet.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
he probably didn't install it property the first time - its not that loud
      10-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

A BMW P exhaust on it's own is in no way too loud. Even on WOT.

Bit off topic but....there's no way a Ferrari (or anything of that nature) straight off the showroom floor is below legal limits.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

For a 125 its the best after market i.e. non stock exhaust you can get, the sound is not in your face and wont upset anyone.
Don't ponder just get it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1 Convertible

Just be really careful with Insurance, if there is a large amount of money at stake and they will void the claim if they can on technical reasons if the policy doesn't match the car insured.
I knew of a guy in the UK who put some nice looking larger alloy wheels on his car. It got stolen and burnt out. The insurance assessors noticed the wheels were non-standard and his insurance policy did not mention non standard wheels as a modification. The Insurance company said that the non standard wheels made the car much more attractive to theft and would have increased the insurance policy premium, therefore the policy he had for the car was void. He never got any payment after trying to fight it.

If the exhaust did improve performance then they could have a technical issue to void the policy if the modification was not on there but that would be really petty.
I know with AAMI when you get a quote, when you select each modification, the premium payment changes depending on that mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
duongma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 135i

With my previous car I listed all modifications (coilovers, bodykit exhaust etc) with AAMI and when the car was involved in an accident it was all covered even though the mods were technically "not legal"

I have been at Pits once and a guy rocked up with a new ferrari and it failed for some reason lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
perth_vert
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongma View Post
With my previous car I listed all modifications (coilovers, bodykit exhaust etc) with AAMI and when the car was involved in an accident it was all covered even though the mods were technically "not legal"

I have been at Pits once and a guy rocked up with a new ferrari and it failed for some reason lol
Glad I am with AAMI
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

aaa

How about you just drop the exhaust "can" muffler all together. And get a short length exhaust pipe turned with a bend and connect it to the open pipe.

Last edited by sixburgh; 10-31-2013 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: aaa
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

A Shanons rep told me once that if it is listed as a mod (legal or not) and the accident was not solely caused by that mod, they cover you. He said just make sure you don't miss listing any modifications.

He also suggested driver error was a suitable cause not associated with any particular mod.
M3 front and rear arms, M3 Front and rear ARB , Quaife LSD, BMW performance wheel (non electronic), 135i Brakes, DS2500 pads, Apex wheel studs, Adjustable Bilsteins, API Half cage, Hankook Z221's (track) and Bridgestone RE002's (street) 225's all around
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #19
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i then 130i now F20-125

How some cars pass is strange.....The Ferrari exhaust is interesting - they are loud, so are C63's on noise. My neighbour has a HDT Blue meanie (modern day brock) it has the deepest boomiest race note I have ever heard - it rattles windows but its not noisy loud just deep. Someone reported him to the EPA and he claims it is legal - not sure how. The tool goes to golf at 530am on a Sat and wakes up the street. So always a fine line between a nice note and being a tool pi&&ing off the neighbours
Appreciate 0