ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

z4 stock antenna length and diameter of bolt?

Hi... my previous Z4 had pretty good reception...the stubby was worse...but the stock antenna was good. My BRZ now has terrible reception for HD... it goes in and out...I know a longer antenna is better. I gave my stock antenna away when I traded it in.. kinda upset about that...

Can someone help and tell me how long the stock Z4 antenna length is...not the stubby one...the whip antenna and if you know how long the diameter of the bolt of the whip fuba antenna?

Appreciate if someone can help. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The first part of your question is easy, sort of.
It's 17.25" from the car body to the tip, but that only tells part of the story.
It's a wire antenna helically wound around a center support, so it'll act as though it's longer than it really is.
If you want to match its performance, you'll want one of similar design, or a straight antenna that's about 50% longer.

I have no idea on the bolt.
      09-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
The first part of your question is easy, sort of.
It's 17.25" from the car body to the tip, but that only tells part of the story.
It's a wire antenna helically wound around a center support, so it'll act as though it's longer than it really is.
If you want to match its performance, you'll want one of similar design, or a straight antenna that's about 50% longer.

I have no idea on the bolt.
Okay...so the Fuba style antenna is 16". Yes it's wire wound antenna... The antenna base then is another 1.25".

I just hate getting rid of something then only realize I need it. So FYI, they make them in 7, 9, 11, 16, and 18" lengths... I'm going to try 11 and 16" then the bolt size I don't know about because I don't know if different manufacturers use a standard antenna bolt size. Thank you again for letting me know.
Appreciate 0