ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Has Anyone had their z4m Aluuminum Interior trim painted piano black?

I seem to remember seeing someone doing this a while back but was unable to find on search?

I have a local bmw collision repair shop that I am going to have them do this in a few weeks. Would like to know how durable (scratch resistant) anyone's has been and how many coats (of paint and clearcoats) were applied?

Thanks and sorry if this is a repeat.
      09-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Two issues you will encounter: Noticeable finger prints and smudges, and the gloss black will act as a mirror surface which will be quite distracting, especially on the large dash panel. You will also have scratches over time from simple use (cleaning with certain cleaners, dust, ets). I wouldn't recommend it.
      09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info...I definitely don't want to do it if I will experience what you said.

Does anyone, then know where I could purchase new BMW Piano black trim for a z4 m. I have seen it for a z4 on Ebay but the center portion around shifter needs to have a hole for the sport button, which non m's don't have.

I am just sick of the aluminum look and would want a professional looking piano black trim for my m. Cost is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any more input.
      09-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfo View Post
I have seen it for a z4 on Ebay but the center portion around shifter needs to have a hole for the sport button, which non m's don't have.

I am just sick of the aluminum look and would want a professional looking piano black trim for my m. Cost is not an issue.
The sport button is an option on non M's.

You can wrap the aluminum in carbon fiber or a number of other colors and textures in vinyl wraps. I would never put piano black trim on the interior as dre99gsx said, mirror like sun glare and fingerprints, but if you insist on piano black, it's your car. BMW specifically minimized the use of glossy finishes to reduce glare, making driving safer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know any other options of trim (maybe custom) I could purchase besides the carbon fiber or wood? I would prefer purchasing a new one over painting or wrapping.

I recently got new steering wheel and floor mats so kinda on a kick to make the interior look like new (thank god the seats are in good condition).
      09-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

I also love the look of the piano black - I think it's one of the better looking trims. I've seen pictures of cars with this as OEM, and also others who have refinished their trim to piano black via paint and clear coat. I would think that if you get a good quality top (clear) coat that is appropriately baked/hardened, it should be at least as durable as OEM. I'd say go for it ...

There are a LOT of cars (old, new and custom) with high gloss interior trim running around, in various colors - as well as a lot of mirror finish interior chrome pieces. Smudging shouldn't be a big issue unless you are a big 'smudger' - don't draw happy faces on the blank parts of your dashboard while eating French fries! Keep a microfiber cloth in the glovebox if you can't resist touching totally non-interactive trim pieces.

Quote:
BMW specifically minimized the use of glossy finishes to reduce glare, making driving safer.
As BMW offered the piano black trim as an option, it would appear they didn't find it unsafe. They have wood trims that are also done in a highly reflective gloss finish. Where did you get this information - do you have a link to where this has been expressed by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfo View Post
Does anyone know any other options of trim (maybe custom) I could purchase besides the carbon fiber or wood? I would prefer purchasing a new one over painting or wrapping.

I recently got new steering wheel and floor mats so kinda on a kick to make the interior look like new (thank god the seats are in good condition).

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818268
Check out the link above. Post#15 there are pics of my interior which was originally aluminum and was powder coated black
It looks good IMHO

Dave
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

If you pay someone to do it, it won't be cheap but cheaper than buying the OEM piano black. I painted mine Urban Green to match my car:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389537

ZStig has painted his piano black. Mine is polished to a mirror finish, I have zero problems with glare. Clean it with a dampened microfiber cloth and you won't get any scratches. I've had it for around 3 years with 0 regrets.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
mickfo
Private
United_States
Rep

I ended up finding Euroactive on Ebay who can get all BMW interior trim possibilities for our car, including piano black and are brand new OEM. Believe it or not, after looking at all options they had, I changed my mind on Piano Black and actually liked they way the Plane Tree Wood looked. I have not seen that trim before (less common) and it looked a little more natural than the other wood trims available. Ill post pics when I get it installed.

I will be happy to get rid of the Aluminum, as in my opinion it gives me the feel of being in a 1950's diner, haha. I am just kidding and know a lot of people like it, but just felt I needed a change from what I inherited from the previous owner (including the small scuffs in one area that drove me nuts).

Thanks for the input everybody, it was all helpful.

And I do like the way the powdercoated aluminum looks, Dbart.
      09-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
spr_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

I'm currently doing my interior piano black, it was aluminum. i decided to try this myself first thinking i wouldn't be able to get a nice glossy finish with spray cans but if you take your time with prep, wet sand every few coats then add a few coats or clear it turns out pretty well! this is the only picture i have right now and stuff isn't installed yet but here is my pro paintbooth setup! lol (huge picture for better detail...)

I'm also painting all the grey parts matte black, so the shifter surround, window switches and here is a before and after of the ashtray and top control piece...

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
cossied
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 z4 3.0si

I did mine a few weeks ago I found the Aluminium finish to distracting so I changed to this makes the car quite dark inside as the roof is black as well but I prefer it that way .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0