ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

Z4M vs.370Z

Gents,

Before I sign the final paperwork for Z4M coming from out state I wanted to check out a 370Z as it's priced new only 2-3K more than 25K 2007 Z4M. I really would be grateful for your thoughts on the following. I know this is a
Z4 site but I'm sure you can give me balanced answers. TY!

While I'm keeping by beloved S65M3 to be buried in I enjoy experiencing other cars every 16 months or so(bad habit). Right now I love my JCW mini coupe.. Very quick and really light on it's feet. Like a go-cart. It has sparked the desire for more of that visceral, raw driving experience. Thus I'm looking at the Z4M and 370Z.. I've secured a CPO'ed Z4m out of state.. But I realized for a few thousand more I could pick up a new touring/sport 370Z with navigation. So today I went and drove one. The cars was beautiful and loaded with leather/alcantara seats and all other stuff with manual. BUT, while it drove well it didn't seem much faster than mini. This could have been related to size of the Z and weight. I'm sure the 370Z must be a little faster even though my mini is tuned to 250hp. The vq-35 has really bad vibration above 5K RPM . brakes and handling were good closer to the M3 in feel than the mini.

My question to ya'll is have any of you drove both the Z4M and the 370Z vs. my JCW mini. With the Z not knocking me off my feet I'm fearful the Z4M won't either. The Z4M looks smaller than the 370Z but weighs about the same with the same power. The Z4M I've secured ony has 25K miles on it. Will the Z4M provide me the seat of the pants driving I'm wanting? i'm sure the engine is silky smooth compared to the 370Z.

I've always admired the Z4M, its looks raw and mean, the nose is a little too much bangle but oh well. Ready for the track. I thought I'd missed the boat but this one is hopefully pristine. Owned by a man who traded both his Z4M and M3 for a M5. All bought from the same dealer.

TY!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I drove my mates 370z last year from Sydney to Melbourne (Philip island) for the MotoGP. We took some of the back ways to get into some twisties and I was pretty impressed. This is Before I had the ///M. His was a track model (or what ever he called it as it came stock with struts in the engine bay and also in the rear)
I gotta admit, it felt really tight, and the box was typical Nissan, engine and box felt bullet proof. So yeah a really nice car. Goes like the clappers too and is very easy to drive. The z4mc on the other hand is a handfull, it demands respect when you drive it near its limits, and is extremely rewarding. Much, much more than the Nissan zed. You could drive the Nissan near the limit all day long, I found the mcoupe harder to get to grips with, but is much more a drivers car.. IMHO that is ofcourse. Both are great cars, I am sure you would be happy with either. Oh final note.. The interior of the Nissan was also crap, with lots of that rubbery feeling stuff every where that let's go if you even just look at it. More so than the bimmer. Oh and yeah we pushed the zed there a bit, my mate lost his license on the way back, and I copped 2 tickets on the way down... So yeah it definitially goes...
      09-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

So you think the Z4M has a much more "hands on" visceral, raw or seat of the pants feel to it? TY.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
So you think the Z4M has a much more "hands on" visceral, raw or seat of the pants feel to it? TY.
Yes, it's fun and raw like the e30m3 with modern touches like cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

I briefly drove my buddy's 370z once. It was nice for sure but didn't really impress me like the Z4M did. It did have a nicer looking interior/tech though. And from what I've seen the Z4M is faster around the track too.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by templarklimek View Post
Richard Hammond comes to a very similar conclusion in this entertaining comparo...

09-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

That vid was the inspiration for my license plate.
      09-13-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Interesting that they both recon its boarding to drive on the road. Also quite interestingly I've not seen a z4mc on top gear at all, only the roadies...
      09-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
My bro has the 370z, he bought it new around the same time i purchased my lightly used 2008 M coupe. we paid approx the same price.

nearly 2 years later, my M is has maintained its value, possibly even up $1-2k. His Z bought new, undoubtedly has lost 20-30% of value, perhaps more. SOmething to be said for purchasing a rare car after it has already depreciated somewhat from new.

Aside from all of that, I felt that the Z was a sporty and fine vehicle after I drove it. But the M is everything mentioned above from a driving experience (+1 to Vanne), much less forgiving and more demanding. it just feels fast on the road. it wont pin you back like an e9x M3, but thats ok, neither will the Nissan.
      09-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

[QUOTE=gtMc;14658888]My bro has the 370z, he bought it new around the same time i purchased my lightly used 2008 M coupe. we paid approx the same price.

nearly 2 years later, my M is has maintained its value, possibly even up $1-2k. His Z bought new, undoubtedly has lost 20-30% of value, perhaps more. SOmething to be said for purchasing a rare car after it has already depreciated somewhat from new.

Aside from all of that, I felt that the Z was a sporty and fine vehicle after I drove it. But the M is everything mentioned above from a driving experience (+1 to Vanne), much less forgiving and more demanding. it just feels fast on the road. it wont pin you back like an e9x M3, but thats ok, neither will the Nissan.[/QUOTE

I had a 350z when I got my Z4mc in 2006. the 350z was the shortest Ive ever had a sports car (a little over a year), and Ive still got the z4mc. I still love the z4mc as much or more than the day I bought it, and I paid almost "full retail" lol. Ive never driven the 370z. Im sure its a great car, and inexpensive to maintain. The 350z was a world of difference to the the z4mc. the z4mc was much more nimble, and refined, and better at the track. my z4mc still gets looks every time I drive it, its rare, and it can be expensive to maintain, but I think Ill keep it for a long time.
      09-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
True M-car vs non-GTR Nissan? Is this really a question?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I think it's a legitimate question. Based on your logic, then M cars should only be compared against a GTR and then at tha t point, I'd ask you the same, is that really a question?

I think the 370z is a fantastic car, only issue is I've read the diff overheats easily on track. And fwiw, the 370z and Z4M have very similar curb weight, wouldn't be surprised if the Nissan was a hair lighter too. The only reason I'd choose the Z4 however is due to its rarity.
      09-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
I test drove one a while ago. I found it too plush and not "raw" enough.

If I recall correctly, the dealer wanted to buy my coupe for about 17 and wanted me to pay about 20+ on top. I laughed and walked away!

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Reading my MotorTrends last night, I see that the 370z is due for a change in the 2015 model year. This is the last run of the current body style, something to consider as well...
      09-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Track buddy of mine has the 370z nismo and it is damn quick on track but he has lots of upgrades. I've never driven one so I can't provide any info in that area.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I used to own a 350Z decked out with every aftermarket part imaginable (intake, headers, exhaust, custom tune, springs, shocks, brakes, wheels, shifters, you name it, it's got it). I also used to write for a blog that covers Nissan/Infiniti products so I've driven every single iteration of the 350Z/370Z/G35/G37 on track. Then I sold the 350Z after about 2 years of ownership, and got my MZ4 Coupe in 2006.

I've only EVER spun three times on track. Once when I was a noob driving my E46 323Ci. That was my third track event ever. I spun my 350Z on track when it was pouring wet. Then I spun again driving a G37 in the dry.

In my personal opinion, the G3X/3XXZ chassis is easy to manage under the limits, but gets out of shape VERY QUICK once you drive past it. It gives you little next to no warning when the chassis had enough. Doesn't take much to drive it fast, but very unpredictable once you reach your limits. Probably one of the reasons why the G3X/3XXZ platform is the deadliest platform in the US (there are more crash involving fatalities in the G3X/3XXZ platform than any other modern platform). It is so deceptively easy to go really fast.

The MZ4 Coupe, on the other hand, is a handful to drive fast. Not the easiest chassis to handle, but it goes like stink once you figure it out, and actually shockingly easy to control at the limit. Once you're near the limit of adhesion, it's easy to get the MZ4 Coupe in and out of shape at will, it'll understeer/oversteer based on your command easily, unlike the G37 I spun (it was oversteering where I though it would typically understeer, understeer where I wish it would oversteer).

It's hard to quantify. Unlike the MZ4 Coupe chassis, which obeys your command and does what you want it to do almost telepathically, if you know what you're doing, the G3X/3XXZ behavior at the limit is shockingly poor and unpredictable. The polar opposite would be my '09 WRX wagon. That thing is so predictable as to what it's going to do at each corner no matter how angry you drive, and how to correct it, it's weird.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
Thought the same thing when I saw the title.

You're comparing two cars with the same price, one 5 years old, one new. That should tell you most of what you need to know. Even if you set performance aside, build quality, longevity, residual value are all crap in the 370Z.

Think about this: would you compare a 3-4 year old Honda Accord to a new Kia with a $10k MSRP? Of course not, the Kia is garbage, thats why they can afford to sell it for $10k.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The polar opposite would be my '09 WRX wagon. That thing is so predictable as to what it's going to do at each corner no matter how angry you drive
Let me guess: understeer, understeer, understeer
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Drove a 370Z Nismo right before buying my 3.0i Z4. The shifting was vague and it felt like the clutch was from a truck. The rear view mirror was useless, the interior was too Japanese for me too many red LEDs. The whole experience was just not good. Drove the Z4 40' and fell in love. It is not as fast/quick, but who cares.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii
Quote:
I think it's a legitimate question. Based on your logic, then M cars should only be compared against a GTR and then at tha t point, I'd ask you the same, is that really a question?
I wasn't implying any logic, and certainly not comparing the M to the GTR. Maybe you should read the sentence again. 'Non-GTR' means any Nissan that ISN'T a GTR. That would include the Sentra, Maxima and 370Z etc.

I think you understood that but just like to hear yourself talk. Regardless, the Z4M wins in this discussion. I believe a lot of us may have cross-shopped the Nissan to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Interesting that they both recon its boarding to drive on the road. Also quite interestingly I've not seen a z4mc on top gear at all, only the roadies...
I was confused by that too - only thing I can think is that they pressed the sport / DSC buttons on the track. And yes, as we know, that makes for an entirely different animal...
      09-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I would say just go and test drive both. Once you get out of them, the one you can't stop thinking of... That's the one