ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Tramiling, thank god for this site

Just picked up my z4 today and after the 2 hour drive back I was ready to return it due to the wandering when the steering wheel is in a neutral state. It was like it had no camber or caster at all.

Before I called and complained. I see that this comes from the run flats - which it has.

I can't believe they sell these POS things if that is really what makes these thing wander that much. I will be changing those out ASAP if that is the problem. My 300z has short stiff side wall tires too, but tracks like a dream compared to these tires.

Glad I could find the info on this site, or I may have taken this thing back!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Tramling is a function of toe and the tires.

I have Hankook RS3s (which like to tramline to begin with) added with 0 toe up front with -2*+ of camber, and the car likes to dance on the highway.

Welcome to the forum, Pics?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Well hell I was just looking up tires to order and swap these out. I was looking at some Hakooks others have recommended - the ventus v12. I hope they do not wander like your RSC's do!

Not sure what I will get, but these have to go!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Describe your driving objectives--summer, performance, all season--and a budget to play with. Then we can recommend tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Summer plaything is what I bought this for, for use on convertible days only. I also have a 90 TTZ and it will be tucked into the garage next to it during the winters and any bad weather. Not that it might not get caught in the rain every now and again, but that will be rare. I did not buy this for the performance so much as the "cruiseability" of it. If I feel like blowing some steam off my lead foot - I am going to take the TTZ every time. So driveabilty and ride are what I am looking for. Now I like a sporty ride, so I am not looking for a caddy ride (I have a SUV for that), but this wandering front end has to go. I do not think the ride even on these run flats is too harsh and it is actually softer than my TTZ already.

So, no winter at all, very little rain, get rid of the wandering and still handle some twisties along the way. No track use or super hard driving is expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Put goodyear eagle sport all season from tire rack on mine. Did not have it re aligned and it drives like a different car. I read that all season tires have less chance of tramlining because of tread design, stay away from aggressive tread design if tramlining is a bigger concern than performance. I can drive 90mph on freeway and it does not wander, also stays straight on uneven roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Good to know, thanks. On the way home a secton of the road had been "sanded" where they grind it down to even it out. I was not sure i could keep it in my lane it was so bad. I was not looking at all season, but I will include them in my search. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

If it's that bad, check your tire pressures. When I bought my car (OEM Bridgestone RFT) they had set all the tires to 32 PSI, and it was all over the road. Once I adjusted them to the factory recommended differential pressures it made a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I'm near Seattle and I daily drive my Z4. I ditched the runflats right quick and got a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons, they were loud and wore out quickly. I now have a set of Continental DWS, they're quieter, they've lasted longer, and are so good it takes too much effort to have fun in wet parking lots
      09-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
I checked the tire pressure on the way home as I thought I might have had a flat. My GF has the DWS on her Acura and I have been impressed with their quiet, sure footed smooth ride. I added them the list too. I am leaving town for a week and it would be nice to have set here waiting for me when I got back!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #11
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Well hell I was just looking up tires to order and swap these out. I was looking at some Hakooks others have recommended - the ventus v12. I hope they do not wander like your RSC's do!

Not sure what I will get, but these have to go!
I had V12 on my M before I sold it... I was not happy with them..I had stock contis up front and Ventus V12 in rear and didn't feel good... I had it to alignment shop twice to tweak camber...then finally I lowered the PSI and it was a bit better...it can't handle 38 psi I had with Contis...I set it at 35 PSI and it was better...thought still not happy...I suggest you look at conti Extreme or others...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Hey Imom!! I have Venus v12s for all four tires and they are fine if properly inflated. I'm not saying that they are the best replacement tire you can get but they are WAY better than the stock run flats. Perhaps your specific issue was due to having a different make and model of tire on the front and back of the car.

Cheers!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The main favs on the forum seem to be Hankook Ventus V12, Michelin PSS, Continental Extreme Contact DW/DWS.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Another vote for Continental DWS. Took off the runflats about 4 months ago, it's like a different car from handling to smoother ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

Ditched the run flats on my wife's roadster.. Went with Conti Extreme Contact DW.. Transformed the car!!! Very impressed with these tires on her daily driver.. Went will PSS on my MC.. Love those too!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Hey Imom!! I have Venus v12s for all four tires and they are fine if properly inflated. I'm not saying that they are the best replacement tire you can get but they are WAY better than the stock run flats. Perhaps your specific issue was due to having a different make and model of tire on the front and back of the car.

Cheers!
Hi Huz-Z I never had run flats...they were just the Conti's I don't doubt the possibility of mis matched tires running weird...but it was very noticeable for me. It was even worse when just installed and the tires were new and slick... back end was all over the place...once the layer or film gone... back end was still kinda weird...surprisingly the stock conti felt really good...maybe because my tires were really worn in and the new rear tires and worn front tires gave the car some weird handling problems.

V12 seems to not like 38 PSI... maybe other members can comment...just my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
Hi Huz-Z I never had run flats...they were just the Conti's I don't doubt the possibility of mis matched tires running weird...but it was very noticeable for me. It was even worse when just installed and the tires were new and slick... back end was all over the place...once the layer or film gone... back end was still kinda weird...surprisingly the stock conti felt really good...maybe because my tires were really worn in and the new rear tires and worn front tires gave the car some weird handling problems.

V12 seems to not like 38 PSI... maybe other members can comment...just my experience.
Hey Imom!

I think my Hankooks may need replacing next summer; they aren't as nice as they were when new. Back then, the ride was smooth and eerily silent with no tramlining at all. As the tires have aged, some of that seems to have degraded a bit, but not nearly to the way the car drove with the run flats.

And on the 38 psi issue, you may be onto something. One day last year I was out for a spin with the wife and the tire pressure light came on. I hauled in, figuring it was a low pressure issue or a flat. But the tires all had the proper pressure - in fact, I had checked them and "topped them up" just the day before. The problem disappeared when I dropped the rears from 38 to 35 psi. Bizarre!! The problem never came back.

Cheers!!

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

For all season driving DWSs are exceptional. If it's a good weather play toy, PSSs are just amazing. Like a night and day difference. RFTs are great used with a rope hanging from a tree for the kids to play on.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Huz-Z... so I am not thinking crazy...not sure why the V12 didn't like 38 PSI...maybe the tire started to round out more then being flat at the top. Unfortunately I don't have to worry about tires for a while...I'm on Prius tires (17x215/45) pizza wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

unluky,

If you'd like to stay with run flats but avoid their harsh ride and tendency to tramline, then consider a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT tires. They're designed to have ride and tracking characteristics like regular tires but still have the run flat capability.

I put a set on my Z4 roadster about a year ago and have been very pleased with them. The corner entry "turn in" isn't quite as responsive as with my prior Bridgestone run flats, but it's fine for my purposes. In addition, they incorporate silica in the tread material, which is a great advantage in the rain.

With my older tires, I had the same problems you described. It took a lot of concentration (not to mention courage!) to stay on your intended course through a construction zone or bumpy section of road. The difference with Bridgestone's third-generation run flats was like night and day--and you still have the benefits of a run flat.

Just my two cents...

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
unluky,

If you'd like to stay with run flats but avoid their harsh ride and tendency to tramline, then consider a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT tires. They're designed to have ride and tracking characteristics like regular tires but still have the run flat capability.

I put a set on my Z4 roadster about a year ago and have been very pleased with them. The corner entry "turn in" isn't quite as responsive as with my prior Bridgestone run flats, but it's fine for my purposes. In addition, they incorporate silica in the tread material, which is a great advantage in the rain.

With my older tires, I had the same problems you described. It took a lot of concentration (not to mention courage!) to stay on your intended course through a construction zone or bumpy section of road. The difference with Bridgestone's third-generation run flats was like night and day--and you still have the benefits of a run flat.

Just my two cents...

Rick F.
I need to drive your car to check out these tires!

HEY - finally an excuse for an Atlantic Canada road trip and photo essay!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

I have the Contis DW and like them. However, let me warn you that my experience has been that they are hard to get. It took a week to get them originally. I have had to replace two of them because of non-repairable punctures and both times it took a week to get the replacements. Discount Tire told me that getting Contis has always been a problem as they are in short supply. Despite liking them, I probably will not get them again because of the supply issue.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0