ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
How rare are these cars?!?

I just got to go look at the 2004 I have been looking at. It has almost all the options I want and has all the must have option I want. 2004 White (1st choice), tan interior (must have for white), HID's, 6 speed, Sport Package, and the exact wheels I like.

But...it has a small scrap on the passenger door - looks like it is just through the clear coat/top coat. Not to metal. Was not told about it, but OK. Then on the front bumper there is a small little crack. You can hook it with your finger nail, so it is a crack, but if I push on and around it, I cant make it open or wiggle so I do not think it is all the way through.

Price is 100% of what it is worth - maybe 110% - but I am OK for paying top dollar for what I want. I have been looking all summer and this is the first time I found this combination - AND it is only an hour away from me - not 5 states away.

Are these rare enough that I am going to regret letting the one exactly like what I want get way from me 6 months from now??

Interior is clean - needs some TLC, but not rips or stains or anything like that. Nothing a Saturday with a toothbrush could not fix. Wheel are in great shape with just a very small scuff on one. Got good quality tires (not run flats) with 3/4 tread on them.

How bad am I going to kick myself?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

All the flaws you mention sound cosmetic. They'll buff out.
And don't buy a car for the tires. They're consumables.
Hows it look/smell under the hood? How many miles?
If you drive it with no hands, does it go in a straight line?
Any unusual ticking from the engine? Squeaks, rattles?

Unless you find a puddle of oil under it, I'm going to guess you'll kick yourself pretty hard.
      09-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Doors are easy to paint or even replace, and you probably want the Aero bumper anyway.
      09-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Looked good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
All the flaws you mention sound cosmetic. They'll buff out.
And don't buy a car for the tires. They're consumables.
Hows it look/smell under the hood? How many miles?
If you drive it with no hands, does it go in a straight line?
Any unusual ticking from the engine? Squeaks, rattles?

Unless you find a puddle of oil under it, I'm going to guess you'll kick yourself pretty hard.

I am a clean freak. I love buying cars 90% and massaging them back to where people say "what year is this?!?!?" when the get in. Under the hood looked great. Actually looked better than the interior. Trunk looked unused. Car had 64K on it. Interior had no rips or stains.

I hate paying 100% for a car that clearly isn't, but it is the first white on tan with a manual tranny that I have found (that was not a total rag) with all the other options I want.

I have only been looking for about 6 months, but I think the chances of finding another one with all this will require enough travel that I will be better of fixing this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

If the seller will agree to a pre-purchase inspection, and it's good, I would go for it. If you've found what you want with only a few minor flaws, it's worth it. Make sure the service is up to date and see if you can get the price down some for the flaws. They aren't "rare" but there are fewer good specimens on the road these days. So, due to the age, they are getting rarer. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I just traded-in my 2006 3.0si vert. It's listed on the dealer's site for about $4k less than I paid for it 4.5 years ago. I'm a bit shocked they're asking so much for it, but this dealer knows the market. I'm thinking they're holding their value pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Great - thanks for the input. After sleeping on it, I think I would rather have some winter projects to fix instead of a "cleaner" car that is not the color or transmission I wanted. The car drove straight and great, I could hear or feel anything but tightness.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Hamsta
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z3

I'm also looking for a z4 ~~ have a z3 roadsta at the moment. One thing I am wondering about is whether the fabric roof on the z4 is as fragile (degrades or ages) as quickly as the one on the z3 which like kitchens and bathrooms is the first to show age?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The top motors on the older ones take on water and rot.
Not sure what my first owner did, but I have the car parked in SoCal sunshine all day every day for the last 2 years, and the top looks great.
I don't use any soap, just rinse it through really well every 2 weeks.
Slather it with RaggTopp every 2-3 months. Going to do that tonight, in fact.