ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Winter hibernation?

I am considering putting my Z4MR into storage/hibernation mode when winter comes around. I am also thinking about just keeping it in "ready" mode and just running the engine for a half hour or whatever every week or two, but I've heard that this would not be good for the car either.

So, what do you guys do in the winter? Put the car up on jackstands? Change/drain fluids? Put additives in? etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

we're starting this already??
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Just trying to plan ahead

We stored the E30 by putting stabilizer in a full tank and then running the tank very low. Then we washed/waxed the car and put a car cover on and pulled the battery and attached it to a battery tender. We didn't put the car on jackstands since I heard that it can mess with the suspension if left lifted for so long, so instead we put on a set of old wheels/tires that we didn't mind if they got flat spots. After winter, we changed the oil,filters, cranked it a few times with the plugs disconnected to circulate oil, and then plugged them back in and it started right up.

But I am just curious what could/should be done differently
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

I would change the oil "before" and leave battery connected and on tender if that is an option. The new oil will be less acidic and sometimes electronic modules don't come back to life after being disonnected. I usually throw old wheels and tires on or overinflate if no extra wheels available. But now that I live in SoCal I just drive the Roadster all winter
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Put a battery tender on it, change the oil if you haven't this year and maybe drive it occasionally if the weather is nice. It's only a few months and it's a BMW, you don't need to baby it.

Personally though, I'll just put on a nice hat and keep going.

08-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
just running the engine for a half hour or whatever every week or two
NO! For the love of all that's good in the world no. It's better to leave it for 3-4 months than to run it occasionally. Way better for it.

Here is my check list:
  • Change the oil.
  • Wash and wax the car.
  • Put in a fuel stabilizer and top off the tank.
  • Put the battery on a trickle charger.
  • Air up the tires to full pressure. You can lift it if you want, but I've never done that on any vehicle and have never had a problem. However, if it makes you feel better, go for it.
  • Some people put some put steel wool in the tail pipe to keep critters out. Seems solid logic, but I've never done it.
  • Cover and don't take the cover off till Spring. Remember, if you take the cover off, dust will get on the car and when you put it back on, the dust can cause scratching. I have also put a couple large bed sheets between the cover and the car. AND, if you drive it, you will need to make sure you've washed the salt off before putting it back in storage.
For 3-4 months that's all I've ever done and have never had a problem. I have been doing this for years with my motorcycles before I got the Z4 and retired it for the winter.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
wolfman1807
Clueless
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG sport/premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
we're starting this already??
NNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! NOT YET,,,,PLEASE!!
Appreciate 0