ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
the dink
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

lock cylinder help

So I am taking apart my ignition lock cylinder. 2005 Z4, I have removed the ignition switch and the key still turns like crap, so its not the switch. How do I get the security ring off of the cylinder? Looks like the plastic part only comes off or is it the metal ring that comes off with it? Also took apart the clock spring by accident, anyone ever put one back together? Now I am pi$$ed. I hate interior stuff and plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
the dink
Private First Class
Rep

Now I cant even get the key cylinder out!! Does anyone know how to get it out, I tried making the tool from paper clip but I just don't know the trick. Randy
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
the dink
Private First Class
Rep

I just got the lock cylinder removed. So the ignition switch and lock cylinder are out of the column and with a large flat bladed screw driver this thing still turns like crap, stiff and binding. What else is in there to look at, without removing the whole darn column? Help I am getting discouraged real quik.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
the dink
Private First Class
Rep

Ok I got this now. I have removed steering wheel, the upper and lower covers, ignition switch, ignition tumbler and the ignition housing. I have not broke any parts "yippy" I have ordered new parts and there on the way. Inside the ignition housing is some parts that have worn enough to cause binding as the ignition is turned, these parts that turn with the ignition switch also engage the steering lock. There is some fracture bolts that hold the housing on that have to be chiseled off. Then you have to remove the snap ring that is in front of the steering shaft bearing. After this I had to fabricate a slide hammer to be screwed into the steering wheel bolt hole, the upper steering shaft comes out then you can remove the ignition switch housing. I did purchase from BMW a new ignition tumbler, Ignition housing and clock spring because I messed mine up. I will let you all know how it works after its all done.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

There is another thread here somewhere with pics.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow. Quite an "adventure"! I'm not sure I'd be up for taking the same trip, so kudos on the DIY effort.
Appreciate 0