BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
rdano
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Question about upgrading angel eyes and headlight

Hi,

I'm curious to know what are the best led kit when it comes to upgrading the angel eyes and the headlight?

I've looked around, some people say LUX, but expensive and flickers. Some say they use different brand and so on. I wanted to get some input on what I should watch out for when it comes to buying led kit for the angel eyes and the headlight.

Also, I want to replace my headlight, although its xenon, it's still not bright enough for me. What are my other options without getting any error or causing condensation on the headlights?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

not really any input for the halo rings, I just bought some H8 blue colored bulbs and now they match the LED pipe in my headlight and are bright enough to be seen in daylight for DRL's for 15 dollars, they do look yellowish at night when they dim but don't care really, not spending 250 bucks on LED's till they get it right.

the HID's are not bright enough? its technically the brightest output of lighting technology available to you at the moment for the 1 series, unless you mod to an LED driving lamp not sure how you'd do that, though with LED you get a better spread and can get rid of the cutoff. but your not going to want to cut up your headlight to do so you'd need to engineer the headlight to work as an LED headlight and not sure that possible unless your a millionaire . but who knows I bet the Chinese are working on an LED headlamp conversion for HID cars as we speak.....

the HID is much brighter than the brightest LED but all the stuff it goes through cuts down on its performance, LED not so much unless its a projector style LED witch hurts it some.

here is the tech nerd jargon,

•HID lamp: Source efficiency is typically 120 lumens/watt or higher. However, losses from trapped light, protective covers and lenses, inefficient ballasts and unfavorable operating temperature typically result in a measured system efficiency of 30 lumens/watt or less.

•LEDs: Source efficiency can be 100 lumens/watt or higher, depending on the type and manufacturer of the LED used. There are no losses from trapped light due to the focused output of the LED, and secondary optics and protective covers generally reduce output by only 25% or less. LED power drivers are also more generally efficient than HID ballasts, and reduce system efficiency by 10-15%. However, even when efficiency reductions due to high operating temperatures are included, LED system efficiency often remains above 50 lumens/watt or higher.

Last edited by -c-; 08-17-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
rdano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
not really any input for the halo rings, I just bought some H8 blue colored bulbs and now they match the LED pipe in my headlight and are bright enough to be seen in daylight for DRL's for 15 dollars, they do look yellowish at night when they dim but don't care really, not spending 250 bucks on LED's till they get it right.

the HID's are not bright enough? its technically the brightest output of lighting technology available to you at the moment for the 1 series, unless you mod to an LED driving lamp not sure how you'd do that, though with LED you get a better spread and can get rid of the cutoff. but your not going to want to cut up your headlight to do so you'd need to engineer the headlight to work as an LED headlight and not sure that possible unless your a millionaire . but who knows I bet the Chinese are working on an LED headlamp conversion for HID cars as we speak.....

the HID is much brighter than the brightest LED but all the stuff it goes through cuts down on its performance, LED not so much unless its a projector style LED witch hurts it some.

here is the tech nerd jargon,

•HID lamp: Source efficiency is typically 120 lumens/watt or higher. However, losses from trapped light, protective covers and lenses, inefficient ballasts and unfavorable operating temperature typically result in a measured system efficiency of 30 lumens/watt or less.

•LEDs: Source efficiency can be 100 lumens/watt or higher, depending on the type and manufacturer of the LED used. There are no losses from trapped light due to the focused output of the LED, and secondary optics and protective covers generally reduce output by only 25% or less. LED power drivers are also more generally efficient than HID ballasts, and reduce system efficiency by 10-15%. However, even when efficiency reductions due to high operating temperatures are included, LED system efficiency often remains above 50 lumens/watt or higher.

Really? Do you have pics of it on daytime and on night time? I'm just tired of the halogen angel eyes I have lol. I just want white led like the new 3 series. Anyway, where'd you get it? Could you send link?

I guess coming from a honda civic with hid headlights, I got used to it, but I really like the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdano View Post
Really? Do you have pics of it on daytime and on night time? I'm just tired of the halogen angel eyes I have lol. I just want white led like the new 3 series. Anyway, where'd you get it? Could you send link?

I guess coming from a honda civic with hid headlights, I got used to it, but I really like the headlights.
There is absolutely NOT WAY you will be able to buy anything that comes close to what what the new 3-series has. The designs of the halos are completely different. You can put a 100W 10,000K lumens (not really) HID/LED bulb in there and you would not get the same result. OK, that was a bit of a silly example but people need to stop throwing their money at this idea. You will spend $200 on some crazy LEDs that flicker, where the outside halos don't light up etc. when you can just buy some good PIAA halogens (or Philips) and knock the yellow tint right out of your angel eyes. Done.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
There is absolutely NOT WAY you will be able to buy anything that comes close to what what the new 3-series has. The designs of the halos are completely different. You can put a 100W 10,000K lumens (not really) HID/LED bulb in there and you would not get the same result. OK, that was a bit of a silly example but people need to stop throwing their money at this idea. You will spend $200 on some crazy LEDs that flicker, where the outside halos don't light up etc. when you can just buy some good PIAA halogens (or Philips) and knock the yellow tint right out of your angel eyes. Done.

^^^^^what he said!

the optics are different between the LED DRL of the new BMW's and our halogen design, so it will never function the same, short of you pulling the headlight apart and installing parts from the new headlights and making a big mess, but anything is possible with lots of money, the LED's will give you that pure white you wish but at the cost of DRL functionality as they are hard to see in the bright light of day.

but at night they will be white, but not noticeable like the newer design.

its a lot of money for color and loss of function.

you will find the GP thunder and other blue 7500K and other lights are a very cheap and good option for making the halos appear more white and still function as DRL's. you will also not notice the blue as its hidden the lights just appear more white, now the drawback is at night the halos appear a little more like stock as the lights are dimmed but not a big deal.

your lights are HID so your no different than your Honda, and if the halos warm light bothers you, you can always turn it off.

just do a search for cheap GP thunder and other lights and youll see the difference. or you can go full HID back their but its way two bright but that's just an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
rdano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input! I'm glad that I didn't get the LUX.

Quote:
^^^^^what he said!

the optics are different between the LED DRL of the new BMW's and our halogen design, so it will never function the same, short of you pulling the headlight apart and installing parts from the new headlights and making a big mess, but anything is possible with lots of money, the LED's will give you that pure white you wish but at the cost of DRL functionality as they are hard to see in the bright light of day.

but at night they will be white, but not noticeable like the newer design.

its a lot of money for color and loss of function.

you will find the GP thunder and other blue 7500K and other lights are a very cheap and good option for making the halos appear more white and still function as DRL's. you will also not notice the blue as its hidden the lights just appear more white, now the drawback is at night the halos appear a little more like stock as the lights are dimmed but not a big deal.

your lights are HID so your no different than your Honda, and if the halos warm light bothers you, you can always turn it off.

just do a search for cheap GP thunder and other lights and youll see the difference. or you can go full HID back their but its way two bright but that's just an opinion.
I'll definitely take a look at this. I could care less if they're not visible on the day time, just wanted to get rid off that halogen light.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdano View Post
Thanks for your input! I'm glad that I didn't get the LUX.

I'll definitely take a look at this. I could care less if they're not visible on the day time, just wanted to get rid off that halogen light.
Just to be clear, what we are suggesting is still sticking with a halogen light but something that has 4,000K or higher. I think the PIAA lights are 4,170 and the Philips Diamond Vision about 5,000K which is really optimal when it comes to wanting a "white" appearance. Even the LED boys are finding out that 5,000K is the range where you want to be.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

if you do any headlight/angel eye modifications, MAKE SURE YOU CLOSE THE HEADLIGHT HOUSINGS PROPERLY. This advice is worthy of all caps.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also it seems that the color temp is not the same across the board when it comes to manufacturers, the 7500k halogens I bought look white where at 7500 k they should be blue at 8500 k It darn be near purple.

But as said earlier 5000 k. Is a very clean white light once you start going to 6000k Your turning more blue.

The best part of just sticking with the halogens is the halos are designed for a bulb style light and its the cheapest rout with best performance. (DRL function)

some who do the HID say its way to overpowering.

You can go LED or HID but you have a hell of a time trying to package the ballast and all that jazz or just go with a good halogen save 100's and get 75 to 80% of what your looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

BavarianX/OSS design and call it a day, they open up your lights and install bright led angel eyes over the top of the old ones, and you can choose to have your headlight housing blacked out and also have your amber vinyled over from the inside. It will give you a great aggressive look compared to those new 3 series lights.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Sleeps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is LBM 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [10.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S  [10.00]
Quote:
Just to be clear, what we are suggesting is still sticking with a halogen light but something that has 4,000K or higher. I think the PIAA lights are 4,170 and the Philips Diamond Vision about 5,000K which is really optimal when it comes to wanting a "white" appearance. Even the LED boys are finding out that 5,000K is the range where you want to be.

Great information! If you were to recommend a halogen H8 bulb what would it be, the PIAA 4150k or the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k (Can only find these on ebay)? Thanks in advance!
/// BMW 135is Coupe #51/586 | Le Mans Blue | MT | BB Leather w/ Blue Stitching | Glacier Aluminum | Premium Package | Heated Seats | HK
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps
Quote:

[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNj...AAOxy7odR4i5-/$T2eC16dHJFwFFZiQTNrYBR4i588YmQ~~60_35.JPG[/IMG]
Great information! If you were to recommend a halogen H8 bulb what would it be, the PIAA 4150k or the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k (Can only find these on ebay)? Thanks in advance!
I have heard the PIAA lights throw a code but I may be wrong.

The halogens are a good cheap alternative till they get the blinking issues fixed. But I've heard of new tech coming for the halo lights for our cars but in the meantime just sticking with the halogens.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Sleeps
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is LBM 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [10.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S  [10.00]
Quote:
I have heard the PIAA lights throw a code but I may be wrong.

The halogens are a good cheap alternative till they get the blinking issues fixed. But I've heard of new tech coming for the halo lights for our cars but in the meantime just sticking with the halogens.
Philips it is! Thanks!
/// BMW 135is Coupe #51/586 | Le Mans Blue | MT | BB Leather w/ Blue Stitching | Glacier Aluminum | Premium Package | Heated Seats | HK
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps View Post
Philips it is! Thanks!
There are zero codes thrown on the PIAA bulbs in my X5. Halogen should never throw codes. I love my PIAAs but will but the Philips bulbs for my wife's 135i. They are around $100 and are made for the Asian market, not sold in Europe or North America. So yes, ebay would be our best bet.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Quote:
Philips it is! Thanks!

Post pics!
      09-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:
Philips it is! Thanks!
There are zero codes thrown on the PIAA bulbs in my X5. Halogen should never throw codes. I love my PIAAs but will but the Philips bulbs for my wife's 135i. They are around $100 and are made for the Asian market, not sold in Europe or North America. So yes, ebay would be our best bet.
Yea I would think so, but their were a few posts where people where getting light out codes with the piaa's again just stating what I heard and have no proof either way. Not sure why they would but with these darn complex lighting stuff who knows
Appreciate 0