BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Advice / Questions about a rode hard put away wet m3

So my local dealer got a lease return in. A 2011 E90 sedan DCT, with all the options I want (Competition, Tech, Enhanced Sound, Premium) ~28k miles no CPO, 1yr left on factory warranty.

I went to the dealer to see the car before they "reconditioned" the car. Well it had curb rash on all 4 wheels, the front bumper had scrapes/gouges, and was detached from part of the grill / backing on the front bumper. (I'm sure my description sucks). The interior was obviously not cared for either, leather had spots, crumbs etc.

Looks like the dude just rode the F out of the car, knowing he'd return it at the end of his lease.

So I was a bit disappointed. However I began to think, since the car already had it's cherry popped long ago I figure it would be nice because I wouldn't care if it gets a ding or whatever here and there. Especially since I will daily drive the car, track and autox the car.

The dealer is refurbishing/painting all 4 wheels, and painting the bumper (not sure if replacing). The price is reasonable 49k, and the mileage is low.

A few questions for you knowledgeable dudes:
  • Should I be worried about the car mechanically?
  • What should I watch out for on the test drive? (I'll try and see if it feels generally loose or whatever)
  • Would you guys buy it? Or pass and hope another sedan with the exact year and miles comes up?
  • Any advice with respect to extended warranties, to get one or not also would be appreciated.

I honestly wouldn't consider it if the car didn't have the exact option combination I want, but since the E90s are hard to find, I'm going to check it out.

It could just be a guy that sucks at driving and parking who just bought the car because it looks cool and was the most expensive 3 series. It could also be a dude who was doing massive burnouts and using launch control the whole time. Thoughts are appreciated. Ideally if someone else has bought the old "sloppy seconds" E90 let me know your experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
i wouldnt buy it; have you looked around? cargurus.com? you can find 2011 models with less miles for around 50-55k; that would mean you would have your warranty through 2014/2015
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczoom5 View Post
i wouldnt buy it; have you looked around? cargurus.com? you can find 2011 models with less miles for around 50-55k; that would mean you would have your warranty through 2014/2015
Yeah I've been camped out on autotrader. The pickins are quite slim currently. If I liked black paint the chances of finding a good E90 are much better. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to keep black paint looking good, and the hard water around here would drive me insane.

My gut reaction is the same as yours, but I'm going to drive it anyway on the outside chance that maybe an oblivious person just was driving it around. My old boss had a 2010 550 he used to abuse cosmetically, but mechanically the car was fine. With an M3 I'm guessing that's not likely but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
the key question is did the previous owner track the car? if so, that def increases your odds of paying out the butt for future repairs; lots of track time increases break wear, component wear, suspension issues, etc. any chance you have a bmw mechanic buddy who could take a look at it? and if youre going for this specific car, def try to go lower on the price!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniczoom5 View Post
the key question is did the previous owner track the car? if so, that def increases your odds of paying out the butt for future repairs; lots of track time increases break wear, component wear, suspension issues, etc. any chance you have a bmw mechanic buddy who could take a look at it? and if youre going for this specific car, def try to go lower on the price!
Unfortunately I don't have a buddy, but the dealer is near Dinan, I was going to pay them to do 3rd party inspection.

Do you think they'd be able to tell if it was tracked?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
No way would I buy it, unless it was significantly cheaper than retail. Did it even have its regular maintenance done? What about the 1200 mile break in/oil change?

A few years from now the wheel repairs will be apparent as the clearcoat/paint they spray on them starts to fade. Dealers pay those guys $50 for 4 wheels most of the time so they cut corners by using bondo, cheap paint and clear coat products. Same with the front bumper.

A few years ago I bought a Ford Explorer that looked pristine at the dealer, now 2 years later there is clear coat fading all over the front end and rear bumpers where the dealer had some craigslist "bumper repair" business fix them. The bondo they used tos smooth out dents is chipping out. Same goes with the wheels. Whole truck looks like shit now.

If it wasn't loved, don't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB GLS550; 2016 RR HSE

Keep looking. From your description, sounds like the car was trashed. Unless you are going to treat it the same way, I would move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

As long as they did a few oil changes, I don't see how else there was be anything wrong mechanically unless it was in an accident.

So you just have to ask yourself if you could live with it cosmetically.

Take it for a drive, look at it closely and see if it will clean up nice. Use the faults to try an talk down the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Eh if it has what you want, records check out, 3rd party inspection is good, they fix it up, then why not? $49k is too high though. $40-45k is more reasonable. Be sure to look under the front bumper for damage, seats should be able to be conditioned to near new, buttons should all work without being sticky. It's pretty hard to tell if tracked but with the condition you describe, I doubt that fool went to the track. Look for bald tire shoulders compared to the rest of the tread.

If you do end up with this car though I would seriously look at an extended warranty, or maybe include that in your negotiations.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Price seems too high based on description and no cpo. Interior condition is a good indicator of how well they cared for the car. I would pass.

Most e90s are AW. If you want a color you have to wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll be seeing it tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what happens. I agree I would not pay over 45 for it, however I'm not sure they'll want to go down that far in price.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also if anyone has experience from buying a thrashed E9X I'm all ears
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

What color are you looking for? I have an E90 in perfect condition with 11k miles on it and a warranty through November 2015.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
I'll be seeing it tonight or tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what happens. I agree I would not pay over 45 for it, however I'm not sure they'll want to go down that far in price.
My take is a little different from everyone elses. You said the car had crumbs/junk in it, paint/damage on the bumper, and 4-wheel curb rash, off-lease. My immediate reaction is that it was not tracked. I think the previous owner was more like an old acquaintance of mine, he had lots of money (from his family), but was more or less a slob with the things he owned. Got a brand new C6 corvette, within 6 months his car looked like what you describe -- 4-wheel curb rash, bumper/paint damage, etc... but the car was never tracked, just driven by someone who didn't care about it.

The wheels can be fixed, as can the paint/bumper, a full detail takes care of the rest. So really the only remaining 'questions' you need to answer are regarding the service history (which BMW should be able to furnish you with). If the car had the 1200 service done on time, and regular oil changes at the dealer, I think the car will be just fine (and in the hands of a much more worthy individual to boot!)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just talked with the dealer. The car will be back from the paint shop tomorrow. I'll ask for service records then.

Thanks for all the great advice guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

just do it. As long as it comes out looking clean, i see no reason to run away.

But this is pretty common for leased cars. Saw a 2012 CLS63 at the auction yesterday with 22,000 miles and they RODE the shit out of it. It's just the nature of the beast. people are slobs.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
My take is a little different from everyone elses. You said the car had crumbs/junk in it, paint/damage on the bumper, and 4-wheel curb rash, off-lease. My immediate reaction is that it was not tracked. I think the previous owner was more like an old acquaintance of mine, he had lots of money (from his family), but was more or less a slob with the things he owned. Got a brand new C6 corvette, within 6 months his car looked like what you describe -- 4-wheel curb rash, bumper/paint damage, etc... but the car was never tracked, just driven by someone who didn't care about it.

The wheels can be fixed, as can the paint/bumper, a full detail takes care of the rest. So really the only remaining 'questions' you need to answer are regarding the service history (which BMW should be able to furnish you with). If the car had the 1200 service done on time, and regular oil changes at the dealer, I think the car will be just fine (and in the hands of a much more worthy individual to boot!)
I would kind of agree. I would bet that most of the poeple that track their cars or are out there doing burn outs and hard launches that are on these boards keep their cars spotless and looking good since they are in the "enthusiast" category. I know when I was younger, I drove cars very hard, but also kept them very clean and looking good, so as long as the maintenance records are adequate, this car probably isn't any more of a risk than any other car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Can anyone look at the ecu to see how many times ot was redlined, max speed achieved, fuel mileage, etc.? That would end tbe speculation if possible. Or see if you can find the previous owner. If hes an enthusiast he'll love that you called, hes got nothing to lose by telling you the deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3
Can anyone look at the ecu to see how many times ot was redlined, max speed achieved, fuel mileage, etc.? That would end tbe speculation if possible. Or see if you can find the previous owner. If hes an enthusiast he'll love that you called, hes got nothing to lose by telling you the deal.
Yes, tuners on this forum and/or dealers can read the shadow memory on the ECU and determine max RPM, max speed, etc. I don't believe it can tell you when, or how often, but it does keep the highest numbers.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Stay Away. Once you wash the car yourself all of the dings, dents, scratches, and other various imperfections will drive you nuts. Refurbished wheels are terrible. They will not shine like new ones and the paint will eventually chip and peel. It's not like the car is a steal at 49K. I'd keep waiting until you can accept the car without sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane
Stay Away. Once you wash the car yourself all of the dings, dents, scratches, and other various imperfections will drive you nuts. Refurbished wheels are terrible. They will not shine like new ones and the paint will eventually chip and peel. It's not like the car is a steal at 49K. I'd keep waiting until you can accept the car without sacrifice.
Yeah I have been waffling between your opinion and others.

If I am crazy enough to buy I will do it knowing I will need to spend money buying replacement competition wheels. Anyone know the price? 800ea?

I will drive it today. If I like how it drives I will see what they are willing to do on price. I will start the conversation at 40 which is absurdly low, but see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

take a look at it after its detailed
Appreciate 0