BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Changing halos from halogen to LED?

Sorry if this is a repost, but I can't seem to find a clear turnkey solution for this.

How can I convert my halos to be pure white LEDs like on the newer BMWs? On a previous car converting the DRLs was as easy as swapping out the high beam bulbs for some white LED ones. Obviously on the 1er the halos have their own dedicated light source. Is it as easy as just ordering the LED version of a particular bulb size? I haven't dug into the back of the headlight assemblies to see how to access the bulb that powers the halos but thought I'd check on here first to see if there is some proven bulb type to order for an easy swap or if it is more involved than that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Bulb size for the halos are H8. There are basically 3 aftermarket options:

1) H8 halogen with a higher colour temp. Thunder GP's come to mind.
2) H8 LEDs. Brighter and crisper than the halogens. burgertuning.com sells these
3) H8 HID. LUX angel eyes. Brightest of the bunch imo.

Still, the halos in the new BMW's are still brighter I think. If you're looking for a pure white, 6500 kelvin is as high as you should go. Anymore, you'll starting going into the whitehot blues. I'm running LEDs. Runs cool and probably the longest lasting although not as bright.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cool, thanks. So if I want LEDs it is just a straight swap? Seems like I've seen things about the car detecting the wrong bulbs, throwing errors, etc. I've also seen some bulbs where it looks like the end of the bulb springs out?

I don't necessarily need super bright, just looking to have the same brightness as the halogens but a pure white instead. Just something to match the main headlights HIDs pretty close. HIDs for the halos seems like overkill imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

LEDs or HID will require a small ballast - a little bigger than a AA battery. They hang somewhat loose inside the headlight housing. Just be very careful that these don't intrude on your adaptive headlights. They must have freedom to swivel or your motors will burn out.

Installation is easy if you don't have huge hands. Each light is enclosed with a waterproof back cover. Popping 2 hinged wire clips will allow the cover to come off. The tricky part is putting it back on. You must insert a lower tab into the bottom first and then tilt the cover onto its waterproof seals, then snap the 2 hinged wire clips back on to secure. The clips will 'snap' in place WITHOUT the bottom tab properly in place thus fooling you that it's secure. The next puddle or car wash will spray water right into the bi-xenon. Do the driver side first to get experience as the passenger side is tighter for space.

edit: the H8 halogen is the only true direct swap but the LED/HID option requires no cutting or modifying as it still uses a H8 bulb base. They just have some dangly bits that you have to take care of placing inside the lamp housing.

Last edited by JuuS; 07-10-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Where is the dangly bit on these LEDs? Looks just like a bulb with a wire coming out to me. Is the stock bulb just a bulb with no extra wire coming out the back or something?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
The bulb companies never show the ballast check out this thread and you will see what they look like.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724301
      07-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
The bulb companies never show the ballast check out this thread and you will see what they look like.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724301
Ah okay... thanks for the insight! After reading that thread I don't think I want to mess with the LEDs. Are there any recommended halogen replacements that are a lot whiter looking? Anything sold by the major companies that I might be able to find locally?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
worries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Jet Black

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
Ah okay... thanks for the insight! After reading that thread I don't think I want to mess with the LEDs. Are there any recommended halogen replacements that are a lot whiter looking? Anything sold by the major companies that I might be able to find locally?
I installed the BMS 4 LED angel eyes(option 1 - 6000k on their website) a few weeks ago. The ballasts don't look like that from the previous thread. They're cylinders now. I was able to tuck them around the LED with no problem and with full seal contact with the head light cover.

After reading that thread above I checked the ballasts today and they haven't moved. But yeah, that thread is pretty scary with all the Adaptive failures. I guess with mods there's always a risk something could go wrong, just part of the game. For me, I'll take that risk since I can't stand the stock yellowish angel eyes.
Appreciate 0