ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Z4MC Fog Light wiring

Does anyone know if a Z4MC has the wiring in place for fog lights? I know the light switch doesn't have the fog light button, but I was hoping that the wiring is in place. Maybe the same lighting wire harness is used on both the M and non-M? I have an idea for adding some hidden fog lights and it would make it much easier and cleaner if the wiring is in place and I just need to source a non-M light switch. If not, I'll just add my own wiring, relay and switch.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

While BMWs are generally pre-wired for various things, the wiring is also based on the engine and chassis. Because the Z4M was never offered with factory fog lights (if it WAS, this may not be true) then it will not be prewired for these lights.

At any rate if they are prewired you will need to code them in and if the Z4M was never offered with fogs then you may need to swap an LCM from a fog-equipped car if you intend to keep it all factory.

Honestly it would just be a lot easier to wire it in yourself
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Pungo, I've slowly been working on a similar project. I swapped front bumpers to the Aero bumper and have been figuring a way to get the fog lights to work. I bought a non M LCM with the fog light switch, and the moment I installed it, the "bulb out" warning came on in the dash, which leads me to believe there might not be wiring back there since it is sensing an open circuit.

I tapped the fog lights in the bumper to the fuse in the fuse box that is originally there for the fogs, and the lights turn on when the key is in position 2 and when the engine is on. Switch on the LCM doesn't control the lights which leads me to believe that either the car needs to be coded, or I wired it wrong somehow or wiring just doesn't exist from the fusebox to the LCM.

It's low on the priority list for me to solve compared to other projects, but maybe we can work together and research/test to see what does or doesn't work...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
At any rate if they are prewired you will need to code them in and if the Z4M was never offered with fogs then you may need to swap an LCM from a fog-equipped car if you intend to keep it all factory.

Honestly it would just be a lot easier to wire it in yourself
Thanks for the input. Yes, as I mentioned in my original post I would need to swap the fog light switch (which is part of the LCM) from a non-M.

I was looking for a clean setup using a factory switch from non-M as I mentioned. I may need to add the wiring and a relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Pungo, I've slowly been working on a similar project. I swapped front bumpers to the Aero bumper and have been figuring a way to get the fog lights to work. I bought a non M LCM with the fog light switch, and the moment I installed it, the "bulb out" warning came on in the dash, which leads me to believe there might not be wiring back there since it is sensing an open circuit.

I tapped the fog lights in the bumper to the fuse in the fuse box that is originally there for the fogs, and the lights turn on when the key is in position 2 and when the engine is on. Switch on the LCM doesn't control the lights which leads me to believe that either the car needs to be coded, or I wired it wrong somehow or wiring just doesn't exist from the fusebox to the LCM.
I'll have to look at the schematic for both the M and non-M and see what's there. Since the connector is the same for a M and non-M LCM, it might be as easy as adding a wire to the connector for the LCM and run it out to a relay to trigger it, then wire the fog lights to the relay. I can code the LCM to ignore the fog light cold and hot check if it throws an error.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
gferil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Thanks for the input. Yes, as I mentioned in my original post I would need to swap the fog light switch (which is part of the LCM) from a non-M.

I was looking for a clean setup using a factory switch from non-M as I mentioned. I may need to add the wiring and a relay.

I'll have to look at the schematic for both the M and non-M and see what's there. Since the connector is the same for a M and non-M LCM, it might be as easy as adding a wire to the connector for the LCM and run it out to a relay to trigger it, then wire the fog lights to the relay. I can code the LCM to ignore the fog light cold and hot check if it throws an error.
Sweet, keep me updated on what you find, if you need me to test/try anything out from my end just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

It always struck me as odd that BMW decided not to equip the Z4M with foglights. Do let us know how this goes.

The fogs on my SI may not be the best on the planet, but they do cut off sharply on a nice horizontal line along the bumpers. And that's good. With my US day time running light set up, in foggy weather I can have all the side marker and tail lights on, headlights off (except the halos) to reduce fog glare, and run with the fog lights lit.

And believe me, we do get fog here.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Sweet, keep me updated on what you find, if you need me to test/try anything out from my end just let me know.
Now that I think about this, I remembered that the LCM contains a copy of the vin and odometer reading that matches the instrument cluster. So when changing out the LCM the vin and odometer will not match the instrument and therefore could cause the mileage tamper dot to illuminate. I would need to investigate how to deal with that issue.

Did you get the mileage tamper dot when you swapped LCMs?

When you had the LCM out, did you see some spare holes on the factory LCM harness connector to add the missing pin for the fog light trigger wire?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I drive on lonely roads in the desert in the middle of the night a couple times a month.
Lonely except for the jack rabbits, coyotes, and burrows jumping out in front of me.
Miss my PIAAs, but can't picture them on the Z.

Name:  Photo-0004.jpg
Views: 3381
Size:  43.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Miss my PIAAs, but can't picture them on the Z.
That's why I'm doing the "hidden" fog lights as I stated in my original post.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
gferil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Now that I think about this, I remembered that the LCM contains a copy of the vin and odometer reading that matches the instrument cluster. So when changing out the LCM the vin and odometer will not match the instrument and therefore could cause the mileage tamper dot to illuminate. I would need to investigate how to deal with that issue.

Did you get the mileage tamper dot when you swapped LCMs?

When you had the LCM out, did you see some spare holes on the factory LCM harness connector to add the missing pin for the fog light trigger wire?
Yep, got the tamper dot. I heard it can be programmed out by the dealer, so once I figure everything out I'll get that done.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Just needs to be recoded at the dealership to avoid the dot.

On older BMWs once you got the dot, it could never go away, even with the cluster coded correctly the dot would not be removed. I am not sure if the Z4 is this way (Z4 seems to be a bit of an odd man out when it comes to normal BMW stuff) but its worth knowing IMO, and worth getting coded immediately to avoid the risk. You have to drive something like 140 miles with the mileage out of sync to get the tamper light, this is to give you time to make the change a part at home but be able to make it to a dealership to get it coded.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
What has to happen is that the LCM and Instrument Cluster must be synchronized. The dealer can do this.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
What has to happen is that the LCM and Instrument Cluster must be synchronized. The dealer can do this.
Does anyone know what software to use to reprogram the LCM to be synchronized with the Instrument Cluster? INPA, SSS, GT1, Progman, NCSexpert, DIS? Is it even possible without going to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think you can do it with SSS/Progman.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I think you can do it with SSS/Progman.
Thanks, I'll investigate that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
While I have not performed a module replacement, I do remember seeing the toggle asking if this is 'a new module'...... I can only infer that it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bring this old thead back to life.

Okay, after a link from gferil, I have an idea how to wire fog lights to a oem non-m light switch. There's 2 ways to do this:

Method 1)
  • Add a wire to the connector X12 pin 28 on the light switch harness, and use it to trigger a relay that you wire in the engine bay, which then goes to the fog lights. This is the route I plan to go as it should be really easy.

Method 2)
  • Add a wire from X12 pin 28 of the light switch harness to X11008 pin 8 of the fuse box (I don't know it this is already in place on the M, it was hard to see the connector)
  • The fog light connectors on the fuse panel are are location X11001 and X11002 for the left and right fog lights. ( don't know if there is a cable plugged into them on the M. If not connectors would need to be sourced and cables added to them and run to the fog light, The connectors may be there and the pins used for the fog lights may empty and need a pin with wire added and run to the fog lights.
  • Also add a 15A fuse at location F36 and relay at location K47 will be required.

The fog light schematic is very simple.
Name:  fog light schematic.png
Views: 6448
Size:  30.9 KB

connector on the back the LCM, pin 28 is the fog light trigger wire.
Name:  lcm connector Z4 fog on pin 28.png
Views: 5503
Size:  1.4 KB

Connecter X11008 on the fuse box coming from LCM to trigger relay on fuse panel.
Name:  fog light connectors from LCM on fuse box location X11008.png
Views: 4681
Size:  113.7 KB
Pinout for trigger wire pin 8.
Name:  fog light connectors from LCM on fuse box pinout pin 8.png
Views: 3652
Size:  1.2 KB

Location of the connetors for the harness to the fog light X11001 and X11002
Name:  fog light connectors on fuse box location x11001 X11002.png
Views: 5050
Size:  136.6 KB
pinout for Connector for foglight.
Name:  fog light connectors on fuse box pinout.png
Views: 3470
Size:  1,005 Bytes

Relay location R47
Name:  fog light relay fuse box location K47.png
Views: 8559
Size:  133.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #18
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I would suggest investigating Method 2, but if it comes apart at any point due to missing wiring, fall back to Method 1 and recreate it using your own parts.
Just use an in-line fuse in place of F36.
Use a relay that's rated for at least twice the current the lights draw.
      01-10-2024, 07:10 PM   #19
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
10 year bump

pungo - did you ever finish this mod?
      01-10-2024, 09:47 PM   #20
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
10 year bump

pungo - did you ever finish this mod?
It's funny you mention it because I recently revisited this. 10 years ago, I just never found any small enough fogs that would fit that I thought would be worth it. But now there are some 2.5" Bi-LED Projector fog lights that are sealed without a fan.

My main purpose was to use them as DRL to be seen as well as slower speed driving on our pitch black curvy country roads to provide some additional width, especially during deer season.

I'm probably going to try a set on my truck to replace the aging Hella Micro DE fogs and see how well they work.

Though again, there's no sense doing anything with the Z4MC without having fogs that both fit and serve the intended purpose, so we'll see if these Bi-LED fogs work well in the real world. Almost want to mount them in the headlight dummy location, but it's crowded enough in there, lol.

Curious what kind of ideas you have for yours?

Name:  bi-led fogs.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  67.3 KB

Here's where I planned to mount them on the Z4 if there's enough room, it's pretty tight in that area by the oil cooler.

Name:  Z4MC fogs.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  438.3 KB

Current Hella Micro DE fogs on my truck in the valance, notice the Bi-Xenon projectors I retrofitting into the 4x6 sealed beams, which they said can't be done on a S10 since there no room behind the headlight.
Bright Lights Matter

Name:  s10 front end.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0579.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  50.8 KB
Appreciate 1
3002 tii2285.50
      01-11-2024, 12:09 AM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
It's funny you mention it because I recently revisited this. 10 years ago, I just never found any small enough fogs that would fit that I thought would be worth it. But now there are some 2.5" Bi-LED Projector fog lights that are sealed without a fan.

My main purpose was to use them as DRL to be seen as well as slower speed driving on our pitch black curvy country roads to provide some additional width, especially during deer season.

I'm probably going to try a set on my truck to replace the aging Hella Micro DE fogs and see how well they work.

Though again, there's no sense doing anything with the Z4MC without having fogs that both fit and serve the intended purpose, so we'll see if these Bi-LED fogs work well in the real world. Almost want to mount them in the headlight dummy location, but it's crowded enough in there, lol.

Curious what kind of ideas you have for yours?

Attachment 3362128

Here's where I planned to mount them on the Z4 if there's enough room, it's pretty tight in that area by the oil cooler.

Attachment 3362127

Current Hella Micro DE fogs on my truck in the valance, notice the Bi-Xenon projectors I retrofitting into the 4x6 sealed beams, which they said can't be done on a S10 since there no room behind the headlight.
Bright Lights Matter

Attachment 3362126

Attachment 3362144
I was toying with idea of mounting small set of 2” led fogs in the brake ducts but that clearly has its drawback. Alternatively, I know it sounds terrible but was even considering mounting a light bar behind the lower center grill so it’s somewhat discrete (not doing this for looks). But given neither solution is ideal, not even sure if it’s worth the effort vs. just not driving the car during dense fog/rain lol.

Mounting them inside the dummy lens would be amazing. Would love to use them as 3500k DRL.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-11-2024 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 1