BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

12,000 miles, 3 rattles

after just fixing (in crude fashion) the "glue coming unstuck" rattle on the drivers side door, and still attempting to figure out the "can't find it rattle in the center armrest/console" i appear to have gotten the worst rattle of all, the "somewhere around the speedometer and you can feel it in your hands while steering" jarring.

a caveat: i live in NYC, and the roads here are pretty bad, lots of potholes which for the most part i do a good job avoiding, but unavoidable bumps etc. am i nitpicking? or are these rattles just the bane of the e9x M3's existance.

anyway, does anyone know how to fix the speedo rattle? don't tell me to press the search button
      07-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
jchristianp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Mine had a rattle coming from the cruise control set button at the end of the arm. This might sound like it's coming from the speedo area.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristianp View Post
Mine had a rattle coming from the cruise control set button at the end of the arm. This might sound like it's coming from the speedo area.
yeah it rattles through the steering column but when i pushed on the top of the speedo, it seems to have stopped. trouble is, i can't drive with one arm pushing the left hump up.

and my fix for the glue sticky door jam is to stuff some cardboard on the side.
      07-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

i think there's really nothing for it. going to bring it in to see if they can replicate the sound. it's driving me up a wall
      07-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Maybe try some thin sheets of foam (i.e Lowes or Home Depot), with or without the tape/adhesive backing. Kind of similar to the foam for door jams to fill voids/openings. I have also seen people use felt, but I think the foam is better because it will fill the void better and prevent movement of the plastic. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

do you have aluminum trim? My dash rattle was caused by my trim piece. The Aluminum is glued on to a plastic backing, and if not secured, it rattles.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I had a rattle until I replaced my aluminum trim with carbon leather. I still get a little noise when in the stiffest EDC setting. But I run 30 series all around and have H&R springs which are kind of rough.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
after just fixing (in crude fashion) the "glue coming unstuck" rattle on the drivers side door, and still attempting to figure out the "can't find it rattle in the center armrest/console" i appear to have gotten the worst rattle of all, the "somewhere around the speedometer and you can feel it in your hands while steering" jarring.

a caveat: i live in NYC, and the roads here are pretty bad, lots of potholes which for the most part i do a good job avoiding, but unavoidable bumps etc. am i nitpicking? or are these rattles just the bane of the e9x M3's existance.

anyway, does anyone know how to fix the speedo rattle? don't tell me to press the search button
There is a huge, informative thread here on m3post related to rattles, some of which you have mentioned and there are some creative solutions.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=rattle+index

on the speedo rattle. You can remove the cluster with the two torx screws at the top, and apply some thin automotive felt in areas that touch.
      07-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
exmowner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:

Mind explaining how you fixed this?
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I had a rattle until I replaced my aluminum trim with carbon leather. I still get a little noise when in the stiffest EDC setting. But I run 30 series all around and have H&R springs which are kind of rough.
did the same swap, no more rattles in the dash. My rear sunshade still rattle a little.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Mind explaining how you fixed this?
well i fixed it sort of by basically wedging a piece of cardboard between the leather insert and the door right by the latch attachement. you can hear the sound of the glue tearing when you wedge the space open. it's really annoying
      07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
do you have aluminum trim? My dash rattle was caused by my trim piece. The Aluminum is glued on to a plastic backing, and if not secured, it rattles.
nope carbon leather. will report back after my dealer says he can't replicate anything
      07-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
nope carbon leather. will report back after my dealer says he can't replicate anything

I like how it's assumed the dealer won't be able to replicate the issue. So true.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

i hate my rattles, but i have 51k. I think its the M3 dude, not too much sense in beating yourself up over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
bsmack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
There is a huge, informative thread here on m3post related to rattles, some of which you have mentioned and there are some creative solutions.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=rattle+index

on the speedo rattle. You can remove the cluster with the two torx screws at the top, and apply some thin automotive felt in areas that touch.
Mind posting a link for what you would use? I have this noise and would love to get rid of it!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmack View Post
Mind posting a link for what you would use? I have this noise and would love to get rid of it!
Stuff like this from Amazon, it comes in all sort of sizes and thicknesses.

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-06-P...utomotive+felt
      07-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
well i fixed it sort of by basically wedging a piece of cardboard between the leather insert and the door right by the latch attachement. you can hear the sound of the glue tearing when you wedge the space open. it's really annoying
I removed the door panel and applied some krytox to the areas where the panel meets the steel. Invisible and solved. OPening the door panel actually leads you to find more sources of rattles. The bowden cable moves around too much, the clips at the top need lubrication with krytox, the bowden cable can use lubrication, all the door clips can have their gaskets deterioriate and need replacement (dirt cheap), removing the window/lock switch mechanism and using some krytox eliminates the "creak" from that shitty plastic used by BMW.
      07-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
i hate my rattles, but i have 51k. I think its the M3 dude, not too much sense in beating yourself up over it.
I totally hear you and i appreciate. You're right of course. I guess the fact that this latest rattle is impacting my feeling of the wheel in my hands really set me off. I will have the car for a long time, I know I will have to get used to the rattles. But really? In my hands?
      07-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
debraarzn
Rep
Drives: bmw

This might sound like it's coming from the speedo area.
      07-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
I totally hear you and i appreciate. You're right of course. I guess the fact that this latest rattle is impacting my feeling of the wheel in my hands really set me off. I will have the car for a long time, I know I will have to get used to the rattles. But really? In my hands?
Yeah true. You should be able to find that one and fix it. I've found a few here and there and have fixed them. This car definitely isn't for people with OCD haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This may be coming from the steering column mount(s), under the dash. Do you get this when going over small bumps at slow speed, like an EMS street reflector or a Bott's dot?
      07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
This may be coming from the steering column mount(s), under the dash. Do you get this when going over small bumps at slow speed, like an EMS street reflector or a Bott's dot?
actually no its when i go above say 45mph. and it's always there. no matter the smoothness of the road. i think it has to be something in the speedometer section but im very hesitant to open it up.