BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
f10Bimmer238
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Alpine White

These Telsa's are so reliable!!!

So what do you do when your battery runs out and your stuck on the side of the road? .....you wait till someone gets you a plug so you can charge your batteries LOL
saw this today.
Attached Images

Last edited by f10Bimmer238; 06-25-2013 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

It could be the idiot who let it run out of juice instead of a mechanical or electrical failure of the vehicle itself that resulted in the car being dead, but who knows that could be the case. Either way, Tesla's have actually proven to be very reliable so far.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Axvel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

maybe he just needed to go? Nature calls type of the moment
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

I kind of think it is poor form (and bad karma) to laugh at other people's misfortune. I have seen plenty of other cars stuck on the side of the road for any number of issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
So I am talking to my neighbor yesterday and I know he has a Ferrari 458 and he tells me he also has an Aston Martin. I say, what is your daily driver? He says Tesla, then he proceeds to tell me the Tesla can beat my M5 but he concedes probably only 0-60. LOL!

He really likes the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
f10Bimmer238
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Alpine White

Lol I thought it was a rare scene so I caught the moment, it could have been for any reason, they are just our rivals so I decided to take a pic and its not like I know the owner, it's just another Telsa. All jokes aside don't wana mean any disrespect to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
So I am talking to my neighbor yesterday and ... he proceeds to tell me the Tesla can beat my M5 but he concedes probably only 0-60. LOL!

Umm, not sure why you LOLed. Judging by MANY drag race videos, if he's got the Performance model, your friend is right.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

There are many drag race videos ??? Only seen the one which was pretty much BS as it was either a m5 6speed or launch control was not used. Here we go again with the tesla propaganda
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
So I am talking to my neighbor yesterday and I know he has a Ferrari 458 and he tells me he also has an Aston Martin. I say, what is your daily driver? He says Tesla, then he proceeds to tell me the Tesla can beat my M5 but he concedes probably only 0-60. LOL!

There are Teslas everywhere in Austin!! Kind of ironic since you can't buy one from a dealership in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Doesn't it come with "idiot proof" telling the driver how many miles 'til the batteries are dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions
Doesn't it come with "idiot proof" telling the driver how many miles 'til the batteries are dead.
It won't be probably standard until 2020 :P~
      06-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
If you idiot proof the car.. They will come out with better idiots
      06-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I sold my M5 and replaced it with a Tesla. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I've owned many high performance cars over the years from BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. and don't regret purchasing this car for one minute. It handles very well, has insane acceleration, turns lots of heads (even though they're a dime a dozen here in SF), and fits perfectly with my commute. It only costs me $3 a day to charge it, as well.

In fact, I think car companies can learn a lot from Tesla. They've transformed the buying experience and have a service program that's better than most others. Financing options were simple and easy, but I chose not to. Everything was digital and done from the comfort of my own home. No pressure and extremely knowledgeable sales people made the experience that much better.

And, to keep the momentum going, they are pushing hard to alleviate range concerns and anxiety through the Supercharger network and the newly announced battery swap program. Fast or free? I think that's pretty sweet. I want a break on long road trips, so the time to charge makes it a great opportunity to stretch my legs and grab a bite to eat. If I'm in a rush, I can get a fully charged battery in 90 seconds for the cost of 15 gallons of gas.

All of this is why dealers hate them. Every time a company comes along that disrupts things, the competition balks and tries to shut them down. Uber, Virgin America, etc. all had teething problems. But I saw it as an opportunity to change things for the better, and I invested and am happy I did.

All that said it's still a car (and a very sophisticated one at that) and being an 'early adopter' I expect things will go wrong. Even still, I know they'll do everything in their power to make it right should something happen. If I ever get stranded, I hope you won't laugh. Next time it could be you...

@Niko - what propaganda? Maybe I missed something, but I really don't see Tesla marketing the car that way. It was automotive journalists who decided to pair it up with other high performance cars. I love how this thing accelerates but I didn't get it to drag race and certainly don't consider BMW drivers to be 'rivals'. Really, my whole reason for buying this thing was to get the carpool lane stickers to save me some time on my commute. That, and the 'competition' sucked hard. Volt, Fusion Energi, Leaf, Fit EV, etc. just couldn't give me the luxury feeling I had in the BMW. They're great for some, but not for me.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 06-26-2013 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I sold my M5 and replaced it with a Tesla. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I've owned many high performance cars over the years from BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. and don't regret purchasing this car for one minute. It handles very well, has insane acceleration, turns lots of heads (even though they're a dime a dozen here in SF), and fits perfectly with my commute. It only costs me $3 a day to charge it, as well.

In fact, I think car companies can learn a lot from Tesla. They've transformed the buying experience and have a service program that's better than most others. Financing options were simple and easy, but I chose not to. Everything was digital and done from the comfort of my own home. No pressure and extremely knowledgeable sales people made the experience that much better.

And, to keep the momentum going, they are pushing hard to alleviate range concerns and anxiety through the Supercharger network and the newly announced battery swap program. Fast or free? I think that's pretty sweet. I want a break on long road trips, so the time to charge makes it a great opportunity to stretch my legs and grab a bite to eat. If I'm in a rush, I can get a fully charged battery in 90 seconds for the cost of 15 gallons of gas.

All of this is why dealers hate them. Every time a company comes along that disrupts things, the competition balks and tries to shut them down. Uber, Virgin America, etc. all had teething problems. But I saw it as an opportunity to change things for the better, and I invested and am happy I did.

All that said it's still a car (and a very sophisticated one at that) and being an 'early adopter' I expect things will go wrong. Even still, I know they'll do everything in their power to make it right should something happen. If I ever get stranded, I hope you won't laugh. Next time it could be you...

@Niko - what propaganda? Maybe I missed something, but I really don't see Tesla marketing the car that way. It was automotive journalists who decided to pair it up with other high performance cars. I love how this thing accelerates but I didn't get it to drag race and certainly don't consider BMW drivers to be 'rivals'. Really, my whole reason for buying this thing was to get the carpool lane stickers to save me some time on my commute. That, and the 'competition' sucked hard. Volt, Fusion Energi, Leaf, Fit EV, etc. just couldn't give me the luxury feeling I had in the BMW. They're great for some, but not for me.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!

Dude, you are the first I've heard selling their F10 M5 for a Tesla Model S. I myself am a strong advocate of EV technology and I've been investing in Tesla for some time now. I understand Musk's vision and he is really shaking up the automotive industry right now. I love his business model and I believe it should be the standard of the future. I myself hate walking into dealerships and having them size me up and vice versa, it's all an unnecessary and outdated game that needs to changes. Anyways, the Model S is in my mind revolutionary, and it's only going to get better. I want to buy a Tesla one day also, but only as a second or third car to my M5. I still have to have my loud polluting racecar.

You are right though the competition is sucking right now. They are sucking so bad, that Tesla sells their EV technology to major brands like Toyota who are trying to play catch up in the Luxury EV market. It's no secret that the Model S outsold the 7 Series, A8, and S Class each in the first quarter this year.

I know the Model S is an outstanding car, I just never thought I'd see someone sell their F10 M5 and get one instead. Times are a changing!

On a side note I think people really underestimate how insanely cool they can look given the right mods.
Attached Images

Last edited by RPiM5; 06-26-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
If you idiot proof the car.. They will come out with better idiots
I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #16
jstepy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer

As mentioned in past posts I see numerous Tesla's every day in Huntington Beach and propaganda aside have never lost a red light drag. All the drivers have been super cool and I really love the car but I am just not at that point in my life where electric is logical.

I do have to say when I drove to Northern California and stopped at Harris Ranch in Coalinga last week it was kind of a slap in the face seeing a Tesla charging up for free at the SuperCharger station while I spent $80 on gas. The Tesla driver was spending $80 bucks on a nice filet and drinks most likely... All I got was some stale beef jerky from the Shell station.

My only big gripe is how some EV drivers start touting how they are so great saving the environment with no clue where the electricity is coming from...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #17
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!

Dude, you are the first I've heard selling their F10 M5 for a Tesla Model S. I myself am a strong advocate of EV technology and I've been investing in Tesla for some time now. I understand Musk's vision and he is really shaking up the automotive industry right now. I love his business model and I believe it should be the standard of the future. I myself hate walking into dealerships and having them size me up and vice versa, it's all an unnecessary and outdated game that needs to changes. Anyways, the Model S is in my mind revolutionary, and it's only going to get better. I want to buy a Tesla one day also, but only as a second or third car to my M5. I still have to have my loud polluting racecar.

You are right though the competition is sucking right now. They are sucking so bad, that Tesla sells their EV technology to major brands like Toyota who are trying to play catch up in the Luxury EV market. It's no secret that the Model S outsold the 7 Series, A8, and S Class each in the first quarter this year.

I know the Model S is an outstanding car, I just never thought I'd see someone sell their F10 M5 and get one instead. Times are a changing!

On a side note I think people really underestimate how insanely cool they can look given the right mods.
I'll be back with something in future. I expect an EV to be my daily with a fast, fun car for weekends and track. I just don't have a place to keep a second car right now. My husband has his Cayenne to keep me sane when I really want speed and noise but we pay out the nose for parking. Our condo only came with one spot and finding a place in the city with 2 spots is impossible. I'm thankful we even got 1!

My grand vision is to ultimately move to the 'burbs so I can finally have my garage and space for more toys.

Tesla drivers have been pretty cool. I haven't seen that attitude from fellow owners. Seems to be mostly relegated to Prius drivers.

There's a lot I miss from the M5 from a tech perspective. Cameras, parking sensors, etc. Model S is a perfect canvas for this stuff but I think they're saving it for Model X. I have a reservation on one and plan on that replacing the S next year. If it's anything like what I've heard, it's going to be an amazing showcase of awesome technologies.
      06-27-2013, 04:43 AM   #18
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh, and HRE's are already on order. I just can't do a static drop with the air suspension. (Which is awesome, by the way...) Someone posted here about the M5 lacking adjustable ride height. I don't miss having to crab my car every time I encounter a steep driveway.
      06-27-2013, 05:39 AM   #19
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

I just picked up my M5 and have driven a Tesla Model S, and can honestly say these things are FAST. Build quality is top notch and the customer experience was great (when I was inquiring about it, the service reps were amazing and responsive). I definitely believe that Tesla is highly competitive and building great cars, which should push BMW to improve even more. (There were quite a few fit and finish issues with my M5 when I took euro delivery, which I will write about in a separate post with pictures. Body panels weren't even flush!!)

On a second note, I've noticed this forum (and other BMW forums) to be quite hostile toward other brands and vehicles, sometimes irrationally. I hope the general M5 community is friendlier and more open minded to other brands.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:

Sorry hate to pick on your Virgin America comment. They have not made money since they started flying, no employee retirements, limited medical. They purchased aircraft with little on no interest, and under priced the market. Will not be in business to long terrible model provide cheap service, and does not cover their cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
I just picked up my M5 and have driven a Tesla Model S, and can honestly say these things are FAST. Build quality is top notch and the customer experience was great (when I was inquiring about it, the service reps were amazing and responsive). I definitely believe that Tesla is highly competitive and building great cars, which should push BMW to improve even more. (There were quite a few fit and finish issues with my M5 when I took euro delivery, which I will write about in a separate post with pictures. Body panels weren't even flush!!)

On a second note, I've noticed this forum (and other BMW forums) to be quite hostile toward other brands and vehicles, sometimes irrationally. I hope the general M5 community is friendlier and more open minded to other brands.
We are a friendly crowd most of us drive other brands, and we love cars. My fun car is a 911S, and we all need to push the car companies.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #22
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Good to hear that you're car guys which can appreciate any make/model of cars for what they are. Sometimes it's disheartening to see people knocking brands or alternative vehicles simply because they think their own car/brand is superior in every way (without reason).

Brand loyalty is great, but not when it goes so far as to put down other cars and vehicles for no reason.

BTW, I also drive a GTR, and will be doing a short writeup of my M5 vs E63 AMG (driven at a 2-day AMG Academy event at Spa Francorchamps) and the GTR. Please be nice.
Appreciate 0