BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

04-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Just picked her up!!!!

Just picked this baby up yesterday..... I was driving an X6 35i and jump into a 2013 640i Gran Coupe.... Wow!! I noticed 3 things immideately .....

1 - TURBO lag has been eliminated on the GC to 0sec.
2 - There's no comparison to ride comfort/quality. X6 was harsh due to my 21...
3 - Wind noise is gone.

Now to the fun part.... Mods!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Welcome and congrats!

(By the way, I was just up in your neck of the woods, UWS)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Welcome and congrats!

(By the way, I was just up in your neck of the woods, UWS)
Nice... Do you have recommendation on the wheel style for the GC? i really like the 356 or the M Performance wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
mlai
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 650GC/E93M3/Lexus LS600HL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirezalex View Post
Nice... Do you have recommendation on the wheel style for the GC? i really like the 356 or the M Performance wheels.
356 Liquid Black

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Congrats!! Love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Just picked this baby up yesterday..... I was driving an X6 35i and jump into a 2013 640i Gran Coupe.... Wow!! I noticed 3 things immideately .....

1 - TURBO lag has been eliminated on the GC to 0sec.
2 - There's no comparison to ride comfort/quality. X6 was harsh due to my 21...
3 - Wind noise is gone.

Now to the fun part.... Mods!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Nice!! Congratulations on the new toy! I hope you enjoy it in good health.
Let me ask you about the "ride" experience you are having with the 6 series, after coming out of the X6.
I made the same move you did. I traded my X6 for a 650i GC with Xdrive. My X6 was always good to me, and the ride wasn't that bad on the aftermarket 22s, as long as I avoided the major potholes.
The first night I picked up my 650, running on the 20" M sport wheels, I hit a few bumps that made me cringe! The same bumps on familiar roads that my X6 on 22's had no problems with.
I adjusted the PSI for the tires on my GC to take the NY roads better, I keep her in Comfort+ unless I am in LI, but she still can't take the "abuse" like the X6 did. So let me know what your secret is, that makes you say that your 640 is handling the roads better than the X6.
Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY enjoying the 650i GC, the drive, the handling, the look, the power, the interior is superb. I am just curious to hear your feedback on the transition from the X6 to the 6 series has been treating you because we made the same transition.
Thanks in advance.
      04-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Let me ask you about the "ride" experience you are having with the 6 series, after coming out of the X6.
I made the same move you did. I traded my X6 for a 650i GC with Xdrive. My X6 was always good to me, and the ride wasn't that bad on the aftermarket 22s, as long as I avoided the major potholes.
The first night I picked up my 650, running on the 20" M sport wheels, I hit a few bumps that made me cringe! The same bumps on familiar roads that my X6 on 22's had no problems with.
I adjusted the PSI for the tires on my GC to take the NY roads better, I keep her in Comfort+ unless I am in LI, but she still can't take the "abuse" like the X6 did. So let me know what your secret is, that makes you say that your 640 is handling the roads better than the X6.
Don't get me wrong, I am REALLY enjoying the 650i GC, the drive, the handling, the look, the power, the interior is superb. I am just curious to hear your feedback on the transition from the X6 to the 6 series has been treating you because we made the same transition.
Thanks in advance.
Will keep you posted.... But X6 in the BX/Brooklyn/Queens was a nightmare to drive...Damn potholes was no joke...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
356 Liquid Black

Yupe!! I was leaning to the 356 but in Ferry Gray...I was considering the M Performance wheels because they reassemble a little my previous 375 X6 wheel style.. Will place an order on the 356 today or tomorrow.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirezalex
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Will keep you posted.... But X6 in the BX/Brooklyn/Queens was a nightmare to drive...Damn potholes was no joke...
You said man. The boroughs are crazy when it comes to potholes. After reading this, i'm starting to think that maybe it's the runflats that causes the problem....?
were the 21s you had on the X6 runflats? Is your GC on runflats?
The 22s on the X6 I had were not runflats, and they didn't feel as harsh as the 20 inch runflats I have on the GC, even though they have about the same amount of rubber to protect the actual rim.
Either way, have fun and stay safe behind the wheel. I had to make a conscious effort to not allow myself to become addicted to driving that thing!
      04-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirezalex
Quote:
Thanks in advance.
You said man. The boroughs are crazy when it comes to potholes. After reading this, i'm starting to think that maybe it's the runflats that causes the problem....?
were the 21s you had on the X6 runflats? Is your GC on runflats?
The 22s on the X6 I had were not runflats, and they didn't feel as harsh as the 20 inch runflats I have on the GC, even though they have about the same amount of rubber to protect the actual rim.
Either way, have fun and stay safe behind the wheel. I had to make a conscious effort to not allow myself to become addicted to driving that thing!
Yupe!! They were required Run Flat Tires. Jesus!! Even running over the smallest rock was a pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yupe!! They were required Run Flat Tires. Jesus!! Even running over the smallest rock was a pain.
Got it. Thanks for the info. Now I know why the ride is the way it is. Still loving the GC though! I will enjoy it for the next 3-4 years until I see what the next generation X6 looks like.
Congrats on the new toy once again! Let us know if you have any mods planned for the future. I had my new car for 7 weeks now and all I did was get the windows tinted.... I'm slowing down... maybe I'm getting older. lol
      04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day
Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the info. Now I know why the ride is the way it is. Still loving the GC though! I will enjoy it for the next 3-4 years until I see what the next generation X6 looks like.
Congrats on the new toy once again! Let us know if you have any mods planned for the future. I had my new car for 7 weeks now and all I did was get the windows tinted.... I'm slowing down... maybe I'm getting older. lol
Yeah!! I think im getting old too. I'm exited but not as much when i got my first BMW 325 when i was 20 years old.

Lol!! Well i just purchased the following:

- M Performance Grilles
- 356 Wheels

Upcoming:
- Window Tints
- BMW Codes (the whole 9 yard) * i will schedule an appointment with the guy who always does it for me.

Under consideration:
- M6 Spoiler
- M Sport diffuser
- LED interior/door lights
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah!! I think im getting old too. I'm exited but not as much when i got my first BMW 325 when i was 20 years old.

- M Performance Grilles
- 356 Wheels

Upcoming:
- Window Tints
- BMW Codes (the whole 9 yard) * i will schedule an appointment with the guy who always does it for me.

Under consideration:
- M6 Spoiler
- M Sport diffuser
Nice! Your car is gonna look awesome, and I'm am all about customizing for individuality. I picked up the grilles as well, just haven't installed them yet.

BTW, just a heads up, many GC drivers, including myself, have had to top off on oil WAY ahead of schedule, so keep an eye on your idrive screen and dash cluster for the warning light. There are threads on this forum covering this topic if you want more information regarding "low oil warnings".
I had to stop in the service center about two weeks ago (less that 2000 miles on the dash) when I got the warning light. That is when I picked up the gloss black performance grilles. I hopw I get some time this weekend to install them.
Post more pics whenever you can! I will try to update my profile and get some pics up as well, lol... another sign Im getting older...
      04-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Reeses83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes E550 Coupe

Garage List
Congrats on the new ride and the new wheels!! Post some more pics once you put the wheels and M performance grill on the car. Again, congrats and enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Welcome to the club! She's a beaut.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
///MD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: panamera

nice care. looks familiar. you're gonna love it
      04-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys!! This 6 Series forum seems to be more welcoming than the X6,X5,5,3 forum.

BTW - I also decided to keep my custom license plate XXXXX6 for my GC 640i. Not sure if is going to make any sense now after all. Anyway, people in the city was clueless as to what the plate meant to say!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Quote:
Under consideration:
- M6 Spoiler
- M Sport diffuser
Better check the fitment on the GC for the M6 deck spoiler... I don't think it's going to work ?? We now have ours installed on our 650i Coupe.. looks amazing. Also do a search for "LED interior lights on here. There was a pretty good post on what to buy on the cheap!! Plug & go!!

Nice car, hate potholes too. Not too much of that here in Vancouver!!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:

- M Performance Grilles
- 356 Wheels

Upcoming:
- Window Tints

Under consideration:
- M6 Spoiler
- M Sport diffuser
Hey, let me know if "onebadmofo"is your coding guy. If so, if possible, maybe we can schedule an appointment around the same time so we can compare notes while he does the job. I know he is pretty good and very reliable.
      04-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Will let you know...
Appreciate 0