BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 GT3 RS

clutch pedal sticking

Hi guys, need some thoughts!!!

My clutch pedal is sticking at high rpm just after the bite point of the clutch on the release of the clutch.

The clutch engagement feels normal and even on hard acceleration and quick shifting the gears slam into place like butter.

the only thing is the pedal won't come all the way back up! it stays just above the bite point. a small tap on the side of the pedal gets it back up otherwise it stays there and drivability is normal!

on the photos it doesn't seem like much but in real life it feels like the pedal is sticking halfway down!!!

What you guys think the problem could be.

I just did a complete oil change for the clutch and brakes but that did not solve the problem.
Attached Images

04-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
The clutch. Sounds like a broken spring on the pressure plate.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Did the problem first occur after your brake fluid change?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Unhappy My M3 would do the same thing at high RPM

My clutch pedal started to stick at high RPM its pretty crazy when it happens. Mine would get stuck when ever I would press the M button getting on the car hard at high RPM's right after 5500 going from 3rd to 4th gear it would get stuck and the RPM's would slip to Red line. I even had it not want to go in 5th or 6th gear at high RPM's when the clutch pedal got stuck arround 5500 RPM it would just slip straight to Redline until you let off the gas. I was told that I had a glaze spot in my flywheel by my BMW Service Rep. There is a member on this post that had a supercharger getting on it and he did something almost a money shift that caused his glaze clutch problem. I did not do a money shift on mine. When I am driving the car normal in the city or on the freeway and not getting on the car hard with the M buttom pressed hitting the high RPM's there is no problem and no clutch pedal getting stuck or RPM slipping. I did not notice this problem until I had my brakes changed out . and BMW updated my car software that cause me loose my custom tune . My friends told me I have what appears to be a glaze spot in the flywheel and to take it easy and start off in 2nd gear making the clutch grab and to make sure I down shift in all the gears when slowing down. I been doing this for some weeks now and it appears to be working. I am in no rush to change out the clutch and flywheel because this problem is up in the high RPM's with the M button pressed getting on it hard hitting each gear at high rev. By the time the clutch pedal stick at high RPM you have to be doing at least 80+ mph. Like I said it don't effect normal driving in the city or on the freeway. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem with the clutch pedal sticking other than me and the OP because its pretty scary or crazy when it happens. I do plan to change out the fly wheel and clutch and get the Spec Super Twin Clutch and flywheel kit in the summer . Oh one more thing my M3 is a 2008 with 88,000+ miles on it and I do not track my car.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,

Last edited by SHADY1; 04-10-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I would start by bleeding the slave cylinder first to see if it has any air trapped or any leaks. Rule that out first, then start looking at other major things like throw out bearing or clutch assembly. Also look at the pedal assembly make sure everything looks in place there.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=SHADY1;13800598]My clutch pedal started to stick at high RPM its pretty crazy when it happens. Mine would get stuck when ever I would press the M button getting on the car hard at high RPM's right after 5500 going from 3rd to 4th gear it would get stuck and the RPM's would slip to Red line. [QUOTE=SHADY1;13800598]

Seems like the same thing is happening to me but I don't have clutch slippage.

the rest is the same so when normal driving nothing happens but when I get hard on it it will stick in 1-2 shifts and 2-3 shift and it also sticks on a 4-3 down shift at 120km/h where the rpms will go higher.

I always heel toe all my downshifts

here's another video showing it a little clearer.
it was after a heel toe downshift from 4-3 at 110-120 km/h

04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
I would start by bleeding the slave cylinder first to see if it has any air trapped or any leaks. Rule that out first, then start looking at other major things like throw out bearing or clutch assembly. Also look at the pedal assembly make sure everything looks in place there.
problem came before brake fluid change and on of the reason for the change was to check if there was air in the system by putting new fluids and bleeding everything.
      04-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
Seems like the same thing is happening to me but I don't have clutch slippage.

the rest is the same so when normal driving nothing happens but when I get hard on it it will stick in 1-2 shifts and 2-3 shift and it also sticks on a 4-3 down shift at 120km/h where the rpms will go higher.

I always heel toe all my downshifts

here's another video showing it a little clearer.
it was after a heel toe downshift from 4-3 at 110-120 km/h

Wow this is crazy I would really be pissed if mine was acting like yours is 1-2 and 2-3 shifts along with down shift from 4-3 I guess we are the first to have this type of issue if mine was acting like yours I would take it to the Stealership. Is your car still under full warranty . I have a extended warranty on my M3 but I don't think it covers the Clutch and my SA told me it would cost $3500 + for a new clutch with labor and this price is not even including the cost of the fly wheel is what he told me . This is the main reason I have not taken my car to the Stealership and in no rush. Because the price they want to charge me I can get a Spec Super Twin Clutch kit with steel or aluminum fly wheel and have my engine rod bearings all replaced at that cost I plan to have these two things done and replaced on my car in the summer

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,

Last edited by SHADY1; 04-12-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
e90m3_6MT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Wow this is crazy I would really be pissed if mine was acting like yours is 1-2 and 2-3 shifts along with down shift from 4-3 I guess we are the first to have this type of issue if mine was acting like yours I would take it to the Stealership. Is your car still under full warranty . I have a extended warranty on my M3 but I don't think it covers the Clutch and my SA told me it would cost $3500 + for a new clutch with labor and this price is not even including the cost of the fly wheel is what he told me . This is the main reason I have not taken my car to the Stealership and in no rush. Because the price they want to charge me I can get a Spec Super Twin Clutch kit with steel or aluminum fly wheel and have my engine rod bearings all replaced at that cost I plan to have these two things done and replaced on my car in the summer

it's on the extended warranty as I have 105,000 km!!
I was also looking at the spec super twin clutch!

Has any one tried it yet, are there performance gains to be had with a lighter flywheel?
      04-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m3_6MT View Post
it's on the extended warranty as I have 105,000 km!!
I was also looking at the spec super twin clutch!

Has any one tried it yet, are there performance gains to be had with a lighter flywheel?
Yes check out this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821832

Appreciate 0