BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question How many use the paddles to shift when in M?

I must admit I never do. Sometimes I forget they're even there.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Me 2. I never use it. The car to me is a GT and not an M3 or M6.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I play with them from time to time - particularly to increase the noise and decrease the polar bear count.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I would use it more if each paddle had a plus and minus, instead of having to use two hands.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

I use it frequently. It saves time from having to move arm down to gear lever and better steering control especially when entering high speed corner. But when exiting corner, I have to admit that Sport mode automatic shifting can shift much more efficiently than I can manually. One of the reasons is weak exhaust note inside the cabin which I need to gauge shifting without looking at tachometer. I wish they put tachometer on HUD which will help improve manual shifting in corners.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78
I wish they put tachometer on HUD which will help improve manual shifting in corners.
The M HUD with the tack is pretty awesome. I don't have any video of it in action on the track, but there are some views of it in my M School videos. I rarely look at anything aside from the HUD, so the more info on that, the better.

I'm okay with the paddles as they are. I only use them for short periods (EfficientDynamics typically comes to rain on my parade and up shifts), and it's usually during "fully engaged" driving (i.e. when not in traffic and/or drinking coffee ). While I can see the merits of the + and - on the same paddle, there is something satisfying about "pulling the trigger"

Mounting the paddles to the steering column would be nice. It's very annoying to be mid corner wondering where the hell your paddle went.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
The M HUD with the tack is pretty awesome. I don't have any video of it in action on the track, but there are some views of it in my M School videos. I rarely look at anything aside from the HUD, so the more info on that, the better.

I'm okay with the paddles as they are. I only use them for short periods (EfficientDynamics typically comes to rain on my parade and up shifts), and it's usually during "fully engaged" driving (i.e. when not in traffic and/or drinking coffee ). While I can see the merits of the + and - on the same paddle, there is something satisfying about "pulling the trigger"

Mounting the paddles to the steering column would be nice. It's very annoying to be mid corner wondering where the hell your paddle went.
I totally agree with paddles on steering column instead of steering wheel. It was made so driver can shift in corner better, but they seem to work best when steering wheel is straight.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

I use them from time to time when I want to have my exhaust to pop and sometimes just for the hell of it.
      03-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

In sport mode I don't use them as often, but in comfort I often flick the paddle to correct the gear selected by the box, for example if I suddenly decide to overtake someone after some sedate driving.

The box, transmission, engine (640d) and logic provide one of the best auto box experiences I've had, so I could live without them. But I still know better sometimes I would add I'm used to driving auto clutch manuals, so using the paddles is second nature to me. Ironically I bemoaned the fixed position paddles on previous cars as they weren't good for gear correction when you still had some lock on.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Odd. In my DCT M3 I never used auto mode. In my 6er I almost never use manual.

I will use the left paddle occasionally to downshift.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
Odd. In my DCT M3 I never used auto mode. In my 6er I almost never use manual.

I will use the left paddle occasionally to downshift.
Same here.

But I think I know why.

The M3 is really a manual (a clutch-less manual but a manual nonetheless), and should be driven like one. In Auto it was so herky-jerky that I would need Dramamine to drive it.

The 6er is an auto, that can be shifted manually. It has a true torque converter. And it should be driven like an auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

Whats the easiest way to get out of manual mode? I have been moving the lever back and forth, but is there a way to do it from the paddles?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Whats the easiest way to get out of manual mode? I have been moving the lever back and forth, but is there a way to do it from the paddles?
No. You just have to wait.

From the manual on top of page 69:

Quote:
If the shift paddles on the steering wheel are used to shift gears in automatic mode, the transmission temporarily switches to manual mode.

If the shift paddles are not used and the vehicle is not accelerated for a certain time, the system switches back into automatic mode if the selector lever is in transmission position D.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Same here.

But I think I know why.

The M3 is really a manual (a clutch-less manual but a manual nonetheless), and should be driven like one. In Auto it was so herky-jerky that I would need Dramamine to drive it.

The 6er is an auto, that can be shifted manually. It has a true torque converter. And it should be driven like an auto.
It was a rhetorical "odd". Your reason is exactly on point. I drove the M3 like I would a stick. With the 650, it was a conscious decision to mellow out. That's why I wanted a TC automatic and no M-sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
You can't force a return to auto mode using the paddles. A quick way is to push your gear selector to manual and back again.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo
Quote:
You can't force a return to auto mode using the paddles. A quick way is to push your gear selector to manual and back again.
Another quick way is to keep the revs up for more than about 30 seconds and it decides I've had enough fun and switches back to auto (while simultaneously jumping up a few gears). This method sounds better :rofl:
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:
Quote:
Another quick way is to keep the revs up for more than about 30 seconds and it decides I've had enough fun and switches back to auto (while simultaneously jumping up a few gears). This method sounds better :rofl:
Not sure about quicker but certainly more fun by the sound of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
When in M mode I always use the paddles.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure about quicker but certainly more fun by the sound of it.
Given that the 6er isn't a track-bred racer or a 458 Italia rival, speed is hardly my biggest concern. Sure, the power and torque are addicting and wonderful, but I've never sat in my car and thought, I wonder "what kind of lap time can this thing set?".

For me, it's all about the qualitative experienced rather than the quantitative facts. While at the PC going around corners sideways in an M6 on the track, I never once thought I'd prefer to be setting faster times staying composed in the corners because it wasn't nearly as much fun. I'm not and will never be a racing driver, so there's not too much to gain from having 0.6 seconds a lap on the next guy. The fun factor is what really matters.

That's why I go for the characterful, noisy option over the civilized route.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Mrv10
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 m6

That's the only way I drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
dsad1
Colonel
Rep

I was testing it out today, i was going 60 mph downshifted to 6th gear and it was back into drive within seconds. I was kind of surprised how fast it kept switching back to drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was testing it out today, i was going 60 mph downshifted to 6th gear and it was back into drive within seconds. I was kind of surprised how fast it kept switching back to drive.
It really doesn't like to go below 6th, even in Sport mode. Given that I get about 11 mpg, it's probably a good thing I switches back to D pretty readily.
Appreciate 0