BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Please share your experience

Good Morning all,

I am starting this thread because i would just like to hear what some of you have experienced as far as the ride quality of your 6 series'.

I just picked up my 2013 650i with xDrive last night. I must say that this is a stunningly beautiful machine, and I can admit that stepping on the thottle makes me smile!.... and I don't smile that often.

I live in Queens, NY, and while I enjoyed the test run I gave the new toy last night, I have to say that she doesn't handle the streets in the five boroughs very well at all. I do have the ///M Sport package with the 20 inch wheels, and these wheels look like they have enough meat (rubber) on them to survive the normal or typical bumps and potholes you find in the city area, but when I came across a few last night, the 650i did not take well to the terrain.

Please keep in mind that I am comparing the ride of the 650i, to the ride of the X6 I was driving for the past four years. Even with the aftermarket 22 inch wheels that I rode on with my X6, my old SAV handled the roads a lot better than my new toy.

Sorry for the long post, but my questions to all of you is does anyone else notice the harsh ride of the 650i? Maybe some of you may have some insight as to what drive setting or mode I should use to make my car ride a bit smoother and not make me cringe if I see a 2 inch bump approaching fast? Or maybe i have to come to the understaning that it was just natural for my old X6 to handle the roads better because it was designed with the chassis of an SUV, while the 650i is basically on a coupe/sedan chassis?

I really like the new car, and I would like to let the ponies under the hood do what they are screaming to do, but I fear if i do let them play, I will be replacing wheels once a month, or damaging my suspension after only a less than a year of driving this elegant piece of art.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thanks for listening and sharing.
      03-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

The 650 certainly has a stiffer suspension than an X6. At least, it better. I haven't noticed it to be bone jarring, or anything, though. Traction control gets a bit intrusive if you goose it on bumpy surfaces, but that's just electronics.

The X6 is, by all accounts, a terrible SUV (not a bad vehicle, just not a good SUV), but it certainly would be softer and better at rough conditions than a 6 series, which, really, is better than an M3. I think you'll get used to it once you stop comparing it to the X6.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
andreo
BMW Enthusiast
Macao
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black 650i Coupé (F13)

You can "feel" every bump and imperfection when set to Sport or Sport+, which is actually desired during a spirited drive. I usually set it to Comfort+ when navigating through bumpy stretches in the city. Potholes and manholes are handled fairly well by adaptive drive. Overall the ride is certainly more comfortable than an E92 M3 or 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
The 650 certainly has a stiffer suspension than an X6. At least, it better. I haven't noticed it to be bone jarring, or anything, though. Traction control gets a bit intrusive if you goose it on bumpy surfaces, but that's just electronics.

The X6 is, by all accounts, a terrible SUV (not a bad vehicle, just not a good SUV), but it certainly would be softer and better at rough conditions than a 6 series, which, really, is better than an M3. I think you'll get used to it once you stop comparing it to the X6.
Thanks for the feedback. You brought up a very good point. I cannot compare the ride of these two cars, because they are in fact very different on many aspects. I will be more open minded when driving the 650i. All in all, I am excited about getting more familiar with her!
      03-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreo View Post
You can "feel" every bump and imperfection when set to Sport or Sport+, which is actually desired during a spirited drive. I usually set it to Comfort+ when navigating through bumpy stretches in the city. Potholes and manholes are handled fairly well by adaptive drive. Overall the ride is certainly more comfortable than an E92 M3 or 335i.
Thanks for the advice! I kept it on the Comfort setting for most of the drive, and only bumped it up to Sport to see what she can do for about a mile or so on the highway. I will try it out on Comfort+ on the commute from work later today. Looking forward to getting behind the wheel and learning more about the capabilities of this awesome machine over the weekend.
      03-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

You can put it in sport mode but only drivetrain and not chassis. That setting let you go faster and feel less bumps.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Congrats on the new car!

I agree with what's been said above. I nearly always drive in Sport mode because I like the sharper throttle response and the glorious M Sport exhaust. I have pretty good local roads, so I seldom see a pothole or anything bigger than a moderate-sized marble. That being said, when I do run into some roughness, Comfort and Comfort+ do significantly decrease the jarring sensation transmitted through the seat and steering wheel.

I've read numerous reports that changing to non-RFTs also makes a significant improvement in overall ride quality. If we're treating this like a study (just playing devil's advocate here - not trying to question anyone's judgment ), it must be asked if there is bias by those who just spent $2k on tires wanting to realize a benefit whether or not the difference is significant. There are so many variables (different tires, different roads, different tolerances for what makes a "good ride") that it's hard to objectively say the best route. Getting rid of the thicker sidewalls and harder run flats definitely makes sense.

For me, I'm still debating about my next set of rubber. I don't have a real problem with the ride. Could it be softer? Yes. Do I care? No. I'm one of the younger 6er drivers here, so that likely plays into my feelings. I'm tempted to try the non-RFTs, but I don't like being without the RF feature or a spare. For you, I'd play with the DDC options for a while and reassess when you wear out your current tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think the ride quality on the 650i is remarkable.

Is it harsh compared to a Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu? Yes, no doubt.

But consider that you are riding in high profile tires and 20 in wheels wrapped in rubber band sized RFT all harnessed to a sports tuned suspension and I'm surprised it rides as well as it does.

Yes, it can jar a few gold fillings loose if you go over a small pothole at speeds anywhere in excess of 10 mph (even on Comfort setting) but on normal roads its just fine.

It'll never compare to an SUV and for that I am very very glad.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
Is it harsh compared to a Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu? Yes, no doubt.

But consider that you are riding in high profile tires and 20 in wheels wrapped in rubber band sized RFT all harnessed to a sports tuned suspension and I'm surprised it rides as well as it does.
+1. Suspension can only go so far - unless you're the MP4-12C, but I'm a couple hundred grand short of buying in that market

I'm sure the 6er would ride better on 15" rims fitted with squishy rubber, like an Impala, but I think it would likely end up being pictured in a thread with a bunch of us mocking it like a 640d with an M6 badge :rofl:

Seriously though, the mammoth RR Phantom, arguably the best ride in the world, has enormous wheels but also very thick tires on top of them. The Rolls is the exception to the rule that states the inversely proportional relationship between tire price and side wall thickness.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I came from a range rover with thick off road tires and I really don't find the ride harsh on the 650 at all.

But then again, I am in comfort+ almost all the time and most of my driving is highway driving. It's possiblethat not having rft's is helping too.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The 650 is an amazing machine, and I look forward to many miles of excitement behind the wheel
      03-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
+1. Suspension can only go so far - unless you're the MP4-12C, but I'm a couple hundred grand short of buying in that market
Sounds like someone just watched the most recent episode of US Top Gear.

I agree with ipsedixit. Great ride all things considered. However, when I do need new summer rubber, I'm going for the Pilots. Not because I dislike the RFTs as much as the Michelins are just much better tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

update

just wanted to thank all of you for your replys and advice once again. Driving in Comfort+ made a significant difference, so now I can enjoy driving my car without trying to make myself "lighter" in the seat when i'm going over rough roads, lol. Stay safe out there!
      03-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
RussianVodka
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i GC

Sport Mode +
is my poison
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianVodka View Post
Sport Mode +
is my poison
Lol, I wish I could have that kind of fun! I have spent some time on the West Coast, and I know you guys have some nice roads for driving and or taking the bike out for some nice leans!

Not much opportunity for that kind of therapy out here, but I try to squeeze in some fun when it's possible. You are right, Sport+ is awesome, even though I spend most of my time in Comfort+ because it is just more practical considering the terrain and traffic conditions I face most of the time....
      04-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #16
malrayes
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i Coupe

I have the 640, pretty amazing. Loving it! I also ordered the M performance exhausts and it should be available at my dealer in 4 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I just had a loaner 650i Gran Coupe X-drive for a couple of days while my M3 was in for some suspension work.

I was stunned at how hard this car pulls under acceleration! It was like being launched into orbit! The cornering was absolutely flat, too.

Downside: Here in NJ at this time of year I felt like I was constantly running an autocross course trying to avoid the potholes, and my demo car already had bent 20" rims and bubbled tires with only 1700 miles on it. I wouldn't call the ride harsh, but you can't get that kind of performance out of such a heavy car without sacrificing something - somewhere. All things considered, I don't know how they got it to be as civilized as it is!

Between the hookup on heavy acceleration with X-drive and the feature formerly known as active roll stabilization, this is a really impressive package. Really sexy looks, too - but you pay a price with poor rear visibility. I guess that's why they make back-up cameras and blind spot warning systems. My loaner had the base sound system, which didn't really impress me. I'd spring for the optional B&O. After all, at a hundred and two grand out the door, what's a little bit more?

It was a real thrill for a couple of days, but I'm glad to have my plain 'ole M3 sedan back!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

I agree ride not so hot.

I have just read your thread,completely agree, I am a poor UK cousin with a mere 640D M Sport with those great looking 20 inch wheels, but hopeless.

I have had my car only a couple of weeks, and in fair ness it seems better or I have just got used to it.

I have come out of an M3, SO EXPECTED better ride. But what I have noticed is on the really bad pot holes/rough surface, it feels as if the chassis is lose under the car.

I have to say I have no adaptive drive, mine rides on basic springs,were poor over here!

Its a real same, great looking car, hope I get use to it.

Whats with the F chassis (F01,10,12)they all ride the same, hope the new X5 not as bad as thats its floor pan.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 NF View Post
I have just read your thread,completely agree, I am a poor UK cousin with a mere 640D M Sport with those great looking 20 inch wheels, but hopeless.

I have had my car only a couple of weeks, and in fair ness it seems better or I have just got used to it.

I have come out of an M3, SO EXPECTED better ride. But what I have noticed is on the really bad pot holes/rough surface, it feels as if the chassis is lose under the car.

I have to say I have no adaptive drive, mine rides on basic springs,were poor over here!

Its a real same, great looking car, hope I get use to it.

Whats with the F chassis (F01,10,12)they all ride the same, hope the new X5 not as bad as thats its floor pan.

Hey, don't feel so bad,.... you guys across the pond are NOT poor! In fact, we over here in the USA have it pretty good when you compare our gas prices and car payments to you guys in the UK, so I am pretty sure you are doing well finacially if you are drving a brand new 6 series.

That being said, I have gotten used to the ride over rough terrain, even though I still think my X6 handled the roads better than the 6'er. May I suggest adjusting the PSI in your tires...? I was so nervous driving over some of the potholes in NY even when in comfort+ mode... so I bumped up the PSI in the M sport runflats tires (20" rims) and it made a huge difference in the ride. She handles the terrain much better now. I forget the exact setting for PSI I have (I check my tires on the first weekend of ever month) but I always keep it at 5 PSI less than the MAX PSI printed on the sidewall of the tire. If you try this method, I hope you have the same results I had when doing this.

All in all, I do love driving the 650i GC. I have to say that today was the first time in over two weeks I got behind the wheel because I have been using the bike for traveling, and I have to say.... that I couldn't contain my excitement when stepping on the right pedal. What a majestic machine.... and I normally don't use words like "majestic" lol. Be safe on the roads, and let me know if the "PSI" method works for you if you try it.