M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Boca
Rep
Drives: Garage Empty

M5 and the Press

Why has nearly every review of the beautiful F10 M5 seem to conclude the car is a disappointment?

It's really starting to annoy the hell out of me. I am not new to performance cars. I have personally owned multiple AMG's, M's, Porsche Turbo's, GTR's, etc. and the F10 M5 is nothing short of extremely enjoyable. I mean sure there are some things that could be better but I have driven the competition (CLS63, S8, Panamera Turbo, etc.) and the M5 is still my favorite.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca View Post
Why has nearly every review of the beautiful F10 M5 seem to conclude the car is a disappointment?
I think cars are so good these days, especially up at the level of those cars you mention, the disappointments of the reviewers are really just nit picks of one feature that could possibly be somewhat better, or better compared to what another manufacturer has done with that feature. It's up to us as consumers to pick the model which hits the sweet spots we want covered in the car we drive. My only real complaint with the F10 M5 is its weight. And that isn't really much more than its competitors, but for such a performance oriented machine you'd think BMW could design that aspect of the car to be more track friendly. Road race track especially, although quarter mile times would certainly be helped with 400 to 600 pounds less fat.....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

easy answer: they want to make to money. no one would question a good review of the m5. after all, it's the m5. a critical review though, we want to know how it could possibly be flawed. so we read on or keep watching. similar to why movie and book critics always find something to criticize. that's their job. in the end, no matter what the reviewer says, you know they'd give their eye teeth own an m5.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I think that corporate sponsorship has made its way into auto mags. I am convinced that Audi pays C&D some "advertising" fee to have them give the nod to their products in the tests. I mean some of the reviews are just crazy. I hope I am wrong... but these days $$$ talks the loudest.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
cidair
cidair
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive

Iīve also owned and driven a lot of performance cars and I have stopped reading the " tests " in car mags. Itīs just so embarrasing to read them nowadays.

Here is some quotes from a Swedish mag:
"the new M5 has too much power....."
" it has gotten thirsty.... "
" Panamera GTS has 130hp less, but you feel no difference to the M5...... "
bla bla bla bla bla.....WTF, are they taking drugs or what?

And the part from the tech spec just makes me
" front wheel drive, 8 speed autobox.... "

10-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

The reason why the M5 is getting relatively bad reviews of late is because the car's character has changed profoundly since its original introduction. The F10 M5 is much bigger and heavier and more isolated than it used to be and that gives it less of a sporting character--that's something that bothers editors and reporters at automobile enthusiast magazines but BMW's sales shows that it knows what its customers actually want.

Combine that with some minor flaws (throttle tip in, steering wheel feel, grabby brakes, some turbo lag) in one of the most competitive classes of automobiles in which the competitors are getting better and better and you have your full answer to the question asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
The reason why the M5 is getting relatively bad reviews of late is because the car's character has changed profoundly since its original introduction. The F10 M5 is much bigger and heavier and more isolated than it used to be and that gives it less of a sporting character--that's something that bothers editors and reporters at automobile enthusiast magazines but BMW's sales shows that it knows what its customers actually want.

Combine that with some minor flaws (throttle tip in, steering wheel feel, grabby brakes, some turbo lag) in one of the most competitive classes of automobiles in which the competitors are getting better and better and you have your full answer to the question asked.
I think that just about every performance based car has had about the same % increase in weight over the years as the M5. Reviewers tend to over look this aspect of modern vehicle design unfortunately, especially when it serves their purpose to make controversal statements.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Although I love my car, I totally agree with the reviews. It's just not an exciting car when driving normally like a GT3, Evo, Z06.. It's huge, heavy, and pretty boring to drive but super comfortable. I upped the excitement by getting the 6MT but unless I'm shifting, there is no visceral thrill from the wheel. The only white knucles you'll ever get is when trying to park or change lanes in this behemoth. The steering is horrible. switching to sport + adds resistance like on a stationary cycle. It's heavier but not because youre reducing assist. It's because it's adding friction. Total bullshit. Overall, however, it's a great luxury car with some sportiness. It, like the M3 is a sporty car. It's not a sports car. That's a good thing because all sports cars come with compromises in comfort which this has none.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidair View Post
Iīve also owned and driven a lot of performance cars and I have stopped reading the " tests " in car mags. Itīs just so embarrasing to read them nowadays.

Here is some quotes from a Swedish mag:
"the new M5 has too much power....."
" it has gotten thirsty.... "
" Panamera GTS has 130hp less, but you feel no difference to the M5...... "
bla bla bla bla bla.....WTF, are they taking drugs or what?

And the part from the tech spec just makes me
" front wheel drive, 8 speed autobox.... "

I completely agree. Also the comments about lack of steering feel are absurd. I have never driven a sports sedan with as much control and clear feedback as the M5 in Sport+ steering setting.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Although I love my car, I totally agree with the reviews. It's just not an exciting car when driving normally like a GT3, Evo, Z06.. It's huge, heavy, and pretty boring to drive but super comfortable. I upped the excitement by getting the 6MT but unless I'm shifting, there is no visceral thrill from the wheel. The only white knucles you'll ever get is when trying to park or change lanes in this behemoth. The steering is horrible. switching to sport + adds resistance like on a stationary cycle. It's heavier but not because youre reducing assist. It's because it's adding friction. Total bullshit. Overall, however, it's a great luxury car with some sportiness. It, like the M3 is a sporty car. It's not a sports car. That's a good thing because all sports cars come with compromises in comfort which this has none.
The GT3, Evo and Z06 are completely different types of cars. So you really have to compare it to other sedans.

Regarding your feedback though - it is clear that BMWs are designed for digital drivers. I find the steering of the F10M5 to be superb. I vastly prefer it to the steering in my former E46 M3. Same with the handling. When you master a car with electronic driver aids, they are very enjoyable to drive.

If you are the kind of guy who drives a 6 speed, and wants a traditional non assisted steering, then you are SOL with a car like this. Buy an Ariel Atom or a Morgan. Those OEMs deliver that kind of old school vehicle. Also look at Jag - they use very traditional technology.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The GT3, Evo and Z06 are completely different types of cars. So you really have to compare it to other sedans.

Regarding your feedback though - it is clear that BMWs are designed for digital drivers. I find the steering of the F10M5 to be superb. I vastly prefer it to the steering in my former E46 M3. Same with the handling. When you master a car with electronic driver aids, they are very enjoyable to drive.

If you are the kind of guy who drives a 6 speed, and wants a traditional non assisted steering, then you are SOL with a car like this. Buy an Ariel Atom or a Morgan. Those OEMs deliver that kind of old school vehicle. Also look at Jag - they use very traditional technology.
Agreed on the type of cars that I mentioned so I'll go with the Panemera. Steering on that thing is light years ahead in terms of feel and accuracy and would have made the M5 an all time great if they were able to get it dialed in the way Porsche did, PASM, PDCC, PTV+ included for "digital" drivers such as yourself. It is just a much more fun car to drive regardless of all the tech that went into it. It proves that you don't have to go old school traditional tech to have fun.

Last edited by s4awd; 10-24-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Agreed on the type of cars that I mentioned so I'll go with the Panemera. Steering on that thing is light years ahead in terms of feel and accuracy and would have made the M5 an all time great if they were able to get it dialed in the way Porsche did, PASM, PDCC, PTV+ included for "digital" drivers such as yourself. It is just a much more fun car to drive regardless of all the tech that went into it. It proves that you don't have to go old school traditional tech to have fun.

I like looking good and being comfortable while hauling ass. Tired of riding rickety old roller coasters that are jarring and loud all the time.

Glad they made the M5 the way they did. Fits me perfectly. Life can be stressful, I want my car to be soothing when taking it easy and hair on fire when I let it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
skrambles297
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 (Black Sapphire) F10

The more I drive my m5, the more I love it. Around town, it is really relaxed and comfortable and has an impeccable gearbox. As soon as I get out of town, it becomes a total beast, devouring everything in its path.

I can't see what's supposed to be wrong with the steering. As for the other comments, the car is obviously big or at least bigger than a 911, but that can't have come as a surprise. It handles incredibly well for something of its size. Perhaps taking a car for a test drive before buying it might be a good idea in future.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5 View Post
I like looking good and being comfortable while hauling ass. Tired of riding rickety old roller coasters that are jarring and loud all the time.

Glad they made the M5 the way they did. Fits me perfectly. Life can be stressful, I want my car to be soothing when taking it easy and hair on fire when I let it out.
I never viewed the Panamera as a rickety old roller coaster
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, not calling out one particular car. I sold a 911s recently and that was a great car for 30 min on a Sunday morning.

After that it was no fun. Loud road noise, too much engine drone/noise and so "connected" to the road you felt it all. Not relaxing to drive.

That's what I mean. Ferrari, Porsche, etc are made to perform - I will sacrifice a little performance for comfort. The M5 gives me a ton of both.

Maybe the Panamera is better but my 911 suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post

+1. I really like my F10 but I have other cars if I'm in a sporty mood. Also, the car is growing on me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

I was enjoying all the feedback until someone compared a 911, and a Z06 with an M5. Two different dimensions. Everyone on this thread is knowledgeable about cars so I really don't have to write this in crayon. The M5 is like Jekyl & Hyde. Most of the consumers who purchase it admire it for that ability. 911's and Z06's are Hyde all the time, one purpose at all times. As for the reviews, I agree with what everyone said. In my opinion every generation of it must require change or re-invention. More technology is being offered and this market segment requires it. The M3 has gotten heavier every generation but still out performs it's predecessor. Everything about this car (including it's weight) is what I wanted. I wanted a mid size sedan to carry my family safely and comfortably, but also be a beast when I drive it alone. Otherwise, I simply would have just bought a 911, or a GTR.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #18
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEOM5
Quote:
Sorry, not calling out one particular car. I sold a 911s recently and that was a great car for 30 min on a Sunday morning.

After that it was no fun. Loud road noise, too much engine drone/noise and so "connected" to the road you felt it all. Not relaxing to drive.

That's what I mean. Ferrari, Porsche, etc are made to perform - I will sacrifice a little performance for comfort. The M5 gives me a ton of both.

Maybe the Panamera is better but my 911 suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.
I know this going to sound harsh.
But customers like you is why the m division has lost its way.
      10-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #19
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

These threads are making the wait more torturous then ever. I don't know who to believe or what to expect. I test drove the car twice (once even in Spain for a full day) and really enjoyed it. I want to be excited about it but I keep finding reasons to expect the worst! I am hoping for a car that is 80% as fun as my 911 with flexibility of a trunk and room to take clients, family, and friends when needed. I do admit that its only 15-20 times a year I wish I had a sedan but I figure its time for a change and hey if I don't like it I guess I can take the beating like a man and sell it.

Yes I have a 911 and yes I love its very connected feel but sometimes it just gets draining in all day city driving and traffic. Honestly, unless pushed a 911 is less enjoyable then the 135i my wife owned. Its all perspective and opinions - we all know cars and have our experiences. On that note, I would have kept my E60 M5 but I couldn't stand the SMG and have vowed that until I can keep clutching and manufacturers keep making MT then I am buying.

Last edited by uhn2000; 10-25-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #20
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Are you telling me to get off your lawn gramps?

Cars like most things are getting better every year. Go buy an old M5 or something else that will allow you to relive your glory days.

Hanging out here will only cause you pain.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #21
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Amen

The F10 M5 is soft. Its a great luxury cruiser.

It simply does not feel small and tossable. The best drivers car in BMW range is the 1M. Light and tossable.

I have driven 911 countless times and owns a Gallardo. I agree that neither car is pleasant to drive for long period of time. But for what it does, its great fun car.

M5 has grown up toward AMG. To me this is not a good thing. I liked E39 and considered its the best M5 ever made despite its loose steering response. The E39 handled beautifully and drives very small. The F10 on the other hand it just big.
      10-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #22
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And yet you still bought one?
Appreciate 0