BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
futurerx06
Rep
Drives: 5 series 525i heavy modded

2008 M3 Convertible Owner experience **SHARE** - newbie to M3 world

I am about to buy M3 and it's a fully loaded with all options with 31K and it's $41K with extended warranty 5 years or 100K miles - Jerez Black Exterior and Red Fox Leather

I am very excited for a new change because I came from 5 series fully modded.

Please help me share your tips and driving experience to make me enjoy this car even more...I am new to DCT so how does it work? any video on it? any video how to drive/operate the car to the maximum limit?

M3 does not have tire-run flat system right? so I can order my tires from Costco.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

I have exactly the same car n it has run flats
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
futurerx06
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurM3 View Post
I have exactly the same car n it has run flats
What tires are you plan to get? any cheap ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
This thread is full of win.
+1, some heavy modded win
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurerx06 View Post
I am about to buy M3 and it's a fully loaded with all options with 31K and it's $41K with extended warranty 5 years or 100K miles - Jerez Black Exterior and Red Fox Leather

I am very excited for a new change because I came from 5 series fully modded.

Please help me share your tips and driving experience to make me enjoy this car even more...I am new to DCT so how does it work? any video on it? any video how to drive/operate the car to the maximum limit?

M3 does not have tire-run flat system right? so I can order my tires from Costco.

Cheers

I'm going to offer you a fire extinguisher...or fire foam... in advance of the heat you're going to receive.

When most people here see a low post-count (i.e. new user) they can grant a tiny bit of patience for a learning-curve. But those same people see a potential "troll" on-board without any intention of looking for insight.

In your case, it's hard to know whether you are serious or are trolling.

That's because most new, serious owners will read tons of prior postings, or follow-along for awhile. I guarantee you that the answers to your DCT question and run-flat tire question have been written here ad infinitum.

And if you're not interested in reading back issues of posts here, at least consult Google prior to asking these questions.

Go download the M3 manuals and read. The manuals have a ton of information about your car. ()

Costco? --> TireRack.com

Here's hoping for rather than .

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!

Last edited by VMcV3y; 10-23-2012 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: typo fix
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
williocom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO M3

talked to this guy a while back about his car. very well kept. will be a great car. enjoy
///2015 M3 MW/SO (RETIRED)
///2011 e93 M3 AW/FR (RETIRED)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
muccels
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93,C5,Tahoe,Gsxr750

Congrats! Well I remember when I first was going to get my E46 M3 comp package with SMG.. Had the dealer take me out in his and let me try. It pretty much is a almost a no brainer if you know how to drive a manual.It will rev match for you and protect if you try to go from a high gear to low gear too fast. When you come to a stop and you haven't shifted to first after sometime it will shift it automatically for you. You will have to learn to play with the setting as that will go from starting out in 2nd gear (for times it maybe wet or icy out so not to lose traction) to setting turning off your dsc and pure race mode!!
So like it was said the manual is your friend. I bought one from the dealer because the car didn't have one when I bought it. You maybe able download it here somewhere. After reading the manual the forums are your best friend. If you have issues, concerns, d.i.y., or experiences you can research them here. If you know anyone that has driven a DCT or has one and will take you out for a few minutes then do it.
As far as tires and prices go with Hankook. Great tire for a great price. I have 20's on my car and went with those. I also use Hankook on my corvette for everyday driving. A real good performing tire in dry and wet!. Pilot sports2 are really great tires but I believe much more money! I think I think i bought mine thru tire rack. Personally I wouldn't go with run flats! I've had them on my vette and they run super hard(hence run flat) and are really expensive. The vette has no spare tire either. I did get a flat once in those and they were great to be able to still drive and get to a tire shop. You will lose some performance if minimal with the run flats being not forgiving at all. The car just ran too hard over every little bump with those tires. That and the price became a hugh turn off.
Well get some mods, take some pics and join the group.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
futurerx06
Rep

Thank you for the advice/tips. I did try google and search in the forum for E93 prior posting this thread but there was not much posting on it? I read all the posting related to E93 for newbie. Maybe I did the wrong search
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
01'325rip
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E93 M3

Quote:
Thank you for the advice/tips. I did try google and search in the forum for E93 prior posting this thread but there was not much posting on it? I read all the posting related to E93 for newbie. Maybe I did the wrong search
Not much to worry about really mine has gone strong since the day i got it. Replaced the clutch under warranty thats about it.

The only issue is its going to be a pain to keep clean. Jerez is better than Jet-black but still a pain.

I'd say look at getting your trim blacked out and your good to go. IMO looks much better w/o the chrome trim.

GL enjoy
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
futurerx06
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01'325rip View Post
Not much to worry about really mine has gone strong since the day i got it. Replaced the clutch under warranty thats about it.

The only issue is its going to be a pain to keep clean. Jerez is better than Jet-black but still a pain.

I'd say look at getting your trim blacked out and your good to go. IMO looks much better w/o the chrome trim.

GL enjoy
Where to get the black trim? DYI? or?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Wolf_Racer
Rep
Drives: 08 E93

You will love it. I have 08 M3 but 6MT. Mine does not have run flats.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
futurerx06
Rep

Thanks guys. Did I have a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
caseyjohnso
Rep
Drives: bmw

I did try google and search in the forum for E93 prior posting this thread but there was not much posting on it
      10-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
01'325rip
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E93 M3

Quote:
Where to get the black trim? DYI? or?
I went to a place here in So. Florida that does vinyl wraps. But its pretty straight forward.

I suppose you could plasti-dip not sure how messy it is.
Appreciate 0