BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
BigApple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Question Latest 2013 M3 e93 Lease Question

Need advice...

Just getting a 2013 e93 M3 and planning to lease it.
I read that there is a chance the car could become more of an intrest as a used car (as it is one of the last V8 M3's build.

When i lock in the lease price and the final payout $#, is it possible that within the next 3 years of its lease that the Payout value changes to a higher $$ as it could be possible become more of a collectors item.

Anything i could do about to avoid possible paying a higher payout amount besides paying for it in full right away ?

I hope this somehow makes sense... Thanks for your thoughts ...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Veloce
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp, SF90, 765LT, Huayra

Garage List
Not quite sure what you are asking exactly. If you are wondering if your residual value on the lease will increase and cause your lease payment to increase as well, then the answer is no; when you sign the lease agreement the payments as well as the residual are locked in.

If you are planning to lease then buy out the lease I would definitely triple check the numbers as that is never the cheapest route to purchase a car.

Not sure if this answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
glockperfect
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e93 m3

It won't be a "collector's item" at the end of your lease. That issue should not factor into your decision making.
      10-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockperfect
It won't be a "collector's item" at the end of your lease. That issue should not factor into your decision making.
Agreed. I don't see it being a collector's car just yet in 2-3 years. There will be a ton of E9x M3's coming off lease over the next 3 years which means a ton of supply in dealers used lots. Think about the number of existing owners who'll trade up when the next-gen M3s hits showroom floors.

I suspect for a period of time supply (current M3s coming off lease) will outpace demand causing prices to be lower. If you're willing to hold on to your E9x M3 for say 5-7 years then I'll think supply will slow down and you'll probably get a better bang for your car. If there are fewer cars in the market you'll then be able to charge more and not be forced to reduce your asking price.

If you really wanna cash in then you may have to hold on to it for 15+ years. But that's always a gamble cause none of us can predict the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApple View Post
When i lock in the lease price and the final payout $#, is it possible that within the next 3 years of its lease that the Payout value changes
If I understand your question then the correct answer is no - the lease contract is what it is once you sign; all numbers lock.

For me the beauty of leasing is just that: the numbers lock. If you want to dump the car in 3 years (or whatever) you know exactly how and how much and you walk away.

If you like the car, you can pay the buy-out and it's yours.

If you suspect the market is down and you think you can get a good deal you can negotiate for a LOWER buy out!

In other words, you get 2 bites at the apple (to buy: once on the price negotiation at lease inception and once when you turn it in assuming you still want it).

If you buy you are a slave to the market price years from now if you want to unload.

Lease = lock & rock
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
BigApple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
If I understand your question then the correct answer is no - the lease contract is what it is once you sign; all numbers lock.

For me the beauty of leasing is just that: the numbers lock. If you want to dump the car in 3 years (or whatever) you know exactly how and how much and you walk away.

If you like the car, you can pay the buy-out and it's yours.

If you suspect the market is down and you think you can get a good deal you can negotiate for a LOWER buy out!

In other words, you get 2 bites at the apple (to buy: once on the price negotiation at lease inception and once when you turn it in assuming you still want it).

If you buy you are a slave to the market price years from now if you want to unload.

Lease = lock & rock
Yes it is the buyout $$ that i was worried that it will go up somehow. But if thats not the case then all is good. If the car is fine after 3 Years i will likely buy it anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts guys this helps...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
brendavilleg
Rep
Drives: bmw

That issue should not factor into your decision making
      10-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Based on e46 M3 'verts, I would expect e93's to depreciate much more than e90's or e92's.
      10-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Based on e46 M3 'verts, I would expect e93's to depreciate much more than e90's or e92's.
It'll be interesting to watch ... IMO the e93 is special in that it's a 2+2 hardtop convertible with a NA high-revving high-horsepower V8.

Could be that most people in general don't care about all of that so it's broadly not a value holder ...

But for those of us who do it's a package you just can't find anywhere else.
Appreciate 0