BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I've just had an interesting conversation with my mechanic who I asked to quote me to fit a set of Eibach Pro's. I expected him to come back with a fairly manageable price but he's quoted me 4hrs labour...is that a little excessive?

He says that the rear springs will be easy but the front two are very hard. Now, I'm not saying that they are not just a little difficult but I changed the spring perches on my E93 335i myself which requires removal of the top mount and compression of the OE spring with no problems at all, it was a 'simple'...

Shock-out (+all the associated bolts of course)
Compress spring
Remove top mount
Fit new perch & reverse steps

...job, couple hours maybe. I sadly don't have a spring compressor to use this time around though so will have to rely on a mechanic. Is the E82 135i THAT different?

Is his quote reasonable or should I look elsewhere? If the going rate is 4hrs labour then I will reconsider installing these springs. They were only due to be a temporary measure, 6mths maybe and then replaced for coilovers. I don't fancy paying two labour charges, I may as well wait for coilovers and do it all at once if this is the case.

Last edited by Cozy; 10-10-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Having just done shocks/struts/springs on my 1er, I don't think 4 hours for everything is completely unreasonable. Things to consider -

1. Any lowering spring with the stock dampers will be no fun at all. You'll likely hate the ride.
2. An alignment will be necessary when you lower it, so not only will you be paying twice for installation, you will also be paying twice for alignment.
3. By the time you factor in the cost of the Eibachs, the install costs, and the alignment cost, you've spent a sizable lump of money that could've gone towards your coil-overs. Those savings are substantial enough that your coli-overs can happen much sooner than 6 months. Personally, I'd just wait it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I think you're right honestly. I forgot to say that these would be going on with B8 dampers but my heart wants coilovers so I may as well just get it right first time and do it all once only.
Appreciate 0