BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
CarolinaM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Questions regarding oil pump change

Alright fellas, my car was dropped off at the dealership today for oil pump change. I have several questions about this whole ordeal. When I got the call for the recall, my car was already in my garage and in park.

1. How does one go about putting the car in neutral without starting the car? I tried turning the ignition on but was unable to shift from P into neutral. Didn't find anything in the manual regarding this either. I called the dealership regarding this and they said start it long enough to put it into neutral.

2. Another M5 had its oil pump changed out today at my service department. It had 987 miles on it, but dealer went ahead and performed break in service on it as instructed by BMW. Does this mean one can drive it to its full potential or should one still drive it conservatively till 1200 miles are reached? The service technician told me that he did not put break in oil back into the motor. Differential oil was also changed out at that time.

Would appreciate any insight into these issues.
2013 BMW M5, Retired, AW/SO
2012 VW Golf R daily driven Stage II+ APR tune, 370HP
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaM5 View Post
Alright fellas, my car was dropped off at the dealership today for oil pump change. I have several questions about this whole ordeal. When I got the call for the recall, my car was already in my garage and in park.

1. How does one go about putting the car in neutral without starting the car? I tried turning the ignition on but was unable to shift from P into neutral. Didn't find anything in the manual regarding this either. I called the dealership regarding this and they said start it long enough to put it into neutral.

2. Another M5 had its oil pump changed out today at my service department. It had 987 miles on it, but dealer went ahead and performed break in service on it as instructed by BMW. Does this mean one can drive it to its full potential or should one still drive it conservatively till 1200 miles are reached? The service technician told me that he did not put break in oil back into the motor. Differential oil was also changed out at that time.

Would appreciate any insight into these issues.
I see you are in NC. Not to jack your post or anything but where are you in NC and using which dealership? ONe thing I do know is that once you have the break-in lubricant out of there and have done the service with the "real-deal" oil, you can drive the car like a bat out of hell regardless of mileage. Same thing happened to me with my M3. Service ended up getting done a few hundred miles early so I did that research then.
      10-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
CarolinaM5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
I see you are in NC. Not to jack your post or anything but where are you in NC and using which dealership? ONe thing I do know is that once you have the break-in lubricant out of there and have done the service with the "real-deal" oil, you can drive the car like a bat out of hell regardless of mileage. Same thing happened to me with my M3. Service ended up getting done a few hundred miles early so I did that research then.
Got my car serviced at Crown BMW in Greensboro, same dealership I bought it from. I'm hoping that you can drive it like you stole it after the break in oil is out!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got my car serviced at Crown BMW in Greensboro, same dealership I bought it from. I'm hoping that you can drive it like you stole it after the break in oil is out!
Pretty sure ya can. I'm in Charlotte. Bought my other two BM's in Winston but this M5 is coming from here at Hendrick. Sad to see they seem to be dead last at receiving oil pumps.
      10-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
Pretty sure ya can. I'm in Charlotte. Bought my other two BM's in Winston but this M5 is coming from here at Hendrick. Sad to see they seem to be dead last at receiving oil pumps.
Not the last. My dealer won't have my pump until Thursday!
      10-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
CarolinaM5
Private First Class
Rep

So no one knows whether the car can be shifted into neutral with the motor not on?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
nytrus112
///MBajan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So no one knows whether the car can be shifted into neutral with the motor not on?
I have no idea. But I know with the DCT in my M3, if (and only if) I insert the key fob, I can then place the car in N and then switch off and it will stay in N. Can't switch into N without switching on to my knowledge. But I could be wrong.