BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
sour97
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

hi, i am planning to buy a oil cooler but can't decide which oil cooler is better...
i am planing to bring my car to the track so i am looking for the stage2 kits with bigger cooler and lower temp. thermostat. anyone have either system in your car and how do you like it?
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Have you considered the Evolution Racewerks oil cooler? They have a Sport version and a dual Race version. I installed the Sport version which adds about 1 quart of additional oil capacity. You can order each with shrouds that channel air flow through the cooler which is very important. The Sport version alone has lowered oil temps significantly. I'm not sure I'd go with the Race version in a daily driver unless your commute is long enough to get the oil up to temp.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer
Have you considered the Evolution Racewerks oil cooler? They have a Sport version and a dual Race version. I installed the Sport version which adds about 1 quart of additional oil capacity. You can order each with shrouds that channel air flow through the cooler which is very important. The Sport version alone has lowered oil temps significantly. I'm not sure I'd go with the Race version in a daily driver unless your commute is long enough to get the oil up to temp.
Id love to add an oil cooler, but im worried about the warranty ramifications, so im trying to stop modding at an intercooler and other simple bolt ons....frustrating that an oil cooler could cause warranty isssues, its sole purpose is to lessen engine stress. And our N54s run HOT. My friend who's out of warranty has the ER sport unit, and his oil temps run much lower that mine, in all conditions. Was not a simple install though if I recall.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
sour97
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
the reason i like the STETT and ADVAN oil cooler were they both use sterab oil cooler, and they made the best oil cooler! And ER did't say what brand of oil cooler they use, for about $200 difference, i think STETT or ADVAN were a better choice!
thanks for the feedback!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour97 View Post
the reason i like the STETT and ADVAN oil cooler were they both use sterab oil cooler, and they made the best oil cooler! And ER did't say what brand of oil cooler they use, for about $200 difference, i think STETT or ADVAN were a better choice!
thanks for the feedback!!!
Hey mate,

most would say my view is somewhat biased , however whilst the Stett Stage 2 kit was arguably the best performing kit on the market, based on the track data out of the US that is currently available, our design goal was to improve upon the deficiencies of the Stett kit.

IMHO we have succeded in doing so, from the use of a Setrab (20 row) "Extra-wide" cooler that has 3.85 x the core volume of the BMW OE cooler, the choice of Aeroflow "Full-Flow" competition spec -10 AN hose ends & fittings throughout, the installation of a 180 degree Fahrenheit external thermostat that can be dismantled for the purpose of cleaning, to both the custom mounting bracket and M22 to -10 AN (90 degree hose-ends) that places both the Stage 1 & Stage 2 cores in the ideal position to maximise the heat transfer potential, of the high efficiency Setrab core.

For what it's worth I had the Stett Stage 2 kit in my car for well over a year and it's a nice kit that performed well. However there were several things I did not like about the kit, namely the use of -8 AN hose ends/fittings and oil line hose, the mounting location of the oil cooler as it does not make optimal use of the M-Sport front bar and lastly the installation was more difficult than it need be, due to where the oil cooler mounting bracket picks up.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 09-25-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Draxus
Private
Rep
Drives: MK4 R32

There are many things to be said about each kit. I like ER's kit because of how big the coolers are and the shrouding. I like Advans kit for the hose size fix. And I like the one I am linking below for the exit into the wheel well.

http://www.vkmotorwerks.com/oilcoolerupgardekit.html
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
sour97
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxus View Post
There are many things to be said about each kit. I like ER's kit because of how big the coolers are and the shrouding. I like Advans kit for the hose size fix. And I like the one I am linking below for the exit into the wheel well.

http://www.vkmotorwerks.com/oilcoolerupgardekit.html
interesting, i wonder if it only fit 335 or will also fit 135.
Appreciate 0