Honor the deal as is 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

09-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
TK23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5. Singapore / SS

Need advice on what to do with my order

Here is my situation. I am a long time BMW and M car driver. I recently made a deal at the beginning of July to trade my M3 for the F10 M5. The deal was they wanted my car by the end of July so they could sell it during the summer and gave me a better deal on the trade because of it. I was to get the 2nd allocation for August delivery. I turned my car in on time but my production got delayed somehow due to a piano black trim shortage. August became early September then late September and I was already losing patience with the deal. Now my car is due to arrive at the dealer today with a monday pick up, but it is on "the list" and indefinitely delayed.
My problem is that I live in Chicago and store my M cars for the winter starting in November. If this car gets delayed into late October I am essentially going to have to store it even before I get the break in completed. I pay $800 to store it as well which I would avoid if I cancel. I am paying closer to MSRP than I usually would due to this being the first wave of cars, which I no longer feel I am a part of. If I cancel the order completely and just ask for a check for the M3 a lose around $3000 in tax incentives on the trade. I could cancel this car and reorder for the spring and still maintain the savings though. I am sure I could get a car for a better price in the spring as well, especially after this whole episode takes some of the shine off the M brand. I am also unhappy with the whole side bolster issue as I had them and loved them on my E92, and fully expected them to be on the M5.
I should be excited for this car but it has been one delay after another. The frustration alone makes me want to walk away. Thanks for any input.
e92 M3 Jerez Black. -Sold and missed.
E46 M3. Jet Black. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

These types of stories are every where right now throughout the different forums. I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles. I have a F10 on order scheduled for production within 2 weeks. Where I live too the Winter will start at the same time as yours and I am left with the similar predicament. I have already started my crusade of complaints to BMW NA. I suggest you do the same. I do not mean to sound arrogant, but we are buying $100,000 cars and I feel compensation is order rather than apologies.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK23 View Post
Here is my situation. I am a long time BMW and M car driver. I recently made a deal at the beginning of July to trade my M3 for the F10 M5. The deal was they wanted my car by the end of July so they could sell it during the summer and gave me a better deal on the trade because of it. I was to get the 2nd allocation for August delivery. I turned my car in on time but my production got delayed somehow due to a piano black trim shortage. August became early September then late September and I was already losing patience with the deal. Now my car is due to arrive at the dealer today with a monday pick up, but it is on "the list" and indefinitely delayed.
My problem is that I live in Chicago and store my M cars for the winter starting in November. If this car gets delayed into late October I am essentially going to have to store it even before I get the break in completed. I pay $800 to store it as well which I would avoid if I cancel. I am paying closer to MSRP than I usually would due to this being the first wave of cars, which I no longer feel I am a part of. If I cancel the order completely and just ask for a check for the M3 a lose around $3000 in tax incentives on the trade. I could cancel this car and reorder for the spring and still maintain the savings though. I am sure I could get a car for a better price in the spring as well, especially after this whole episode takes some of the shine off the M brand. I am also unhappy with the whole side bolster issue as I had them and loved them on my E92, and fully expected them to be on the M5.
I should be excited for this car but it has been one delay after another. The frustration alone makes me want to walk away. Thanks for any input.
I would say if your having all these second thoughts just cancel to relieve the second guessing. My car is on the boat from ED, and I'm still excited it's an oil pump shit happens. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
chudak18
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335, W463 G55

Garage List
the car is amazing. A faulty oil pump sucks and the delays it's causing is even worse, but none the less the car is well worth the wait. Now if you were planning on storing it, then yes I would cancel and wait out the winter, plan on a timely spring delivery and negotiate a price that is more favorable. Good luck.
      09-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudak18 View Post
the car is amazing. A faulty oil pump sucks and the delays it's causing is even worse, but none the less the car is well worth the wait. Now if you were planning on storing it, then yes I would cancel and wait out the winter, plan on a timely spring delivery and negotiate a price that is more favorable. Good luck.
I agree, if you plan on storing it shortly then just wait and renegotiate in the spring.
      09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
I would without a doubt cancel the order and wait it out. You won't be able to drive it for a few months. Your payin 100k+ for a car, make sure it feels right. Besides,there are a lot of qualms w/ some of the features of the F10 M5. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they were all reworked for a 2014-2014.5 MY. Thats what I'm doing.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Honestly, just do whatever that makes you happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
sonorman
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 F10 Black/Black

Buy a Porsche! It's way more reliable!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
LAKEOM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorman View Post
Buy a Porsche! It's way more reliable!!
No they aren't.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

If you plan on storing the car I would take your trade money and negotiate a better deal in January or February . I believe at worst you will break out even given tax benefit offset by storage cost and my sense is without a trade and at that of year you will be able to do pretty well going from dealer to dealer. In other words the bloom will be off the rose at that time.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

One bad batch of oil pumps and everyone jumps off the M bandwagon.
Get real, the car is sick and we all know it.
I think you should move South so u don't have to store your M cars.
Then have the oil pump replaced and move on.
Or you could send cancel order and send M division hate mail for the rest of your life.
Or you could just continue with original plans and chalk it up to a bad oil pump that needs replaced. This is what I am doing and sounds reasonable coming from a loyal M guy.
Shit happens but don't let an oil pump replacement spoil the soon to be festivities.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
TK23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5. Singapore / SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm
Or you could send cancel order and send M division hate mail for the rest of your life.
Or you could just continue with original plans and chalk it up to a bad oil pump that needs replaced. This is what I am doing and sounds reasonable coming from a loyal M guy.
Shit happens but don't let an oil pump replacement spoil the soon to be festivities.
Not jumping off the bandwagon. I wouldn't spend 100K if I didn't want the car. The point is I negotiated a deal that I kept my part of and BMW and my dealership clearly did not come through on their part. The smart business decision is to cancel and save a few grand for a car delivered in the spring. It's hard not to want this car as the anticipation has been building for months. Ideally BMW or the dealer comes through and improves the deal and everyone walks away happy. So far there is no indication of that happening. The clock is ticking on this though. I would be stupid to take a car and immediately store it unless they really made it worth my while.
e92 M3 Jerez Black. -Sold and missed.
E46 M3. Jet Black. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzmmm
I believe you should purchase the car it is a very good car ( oil pump a side ) but this is a financial transaction and you will do better in January or better yet February (usually the slowest month ) . Don't not buy the car buy it right if you have the opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK23 View Post
Not jumping off the bandwagon. I wouldn't spend 100K if I didn't want the car. The point is I negotiated a deal that I kept my part of and BMW and my dealership clearly did not come through on their part. The smart business decision is to cancel and save a few grand for a car delivered in the spring. It's hard not to want this car as the anticipation has been building for months. Ideally BMW or the dealer comes through and improves the deal and everyone walks away happy. So far there is no indication of that happening. The clock is ticking on this though. I would be stupid to take a car and immediately store it unless they really made it worth my while.
dude, common sense, cancel and reorder in winter/spring for a 2014 model. if it's goingt to be too long for you to wait for a 2014 model then what's the point in waiting to still get a 2013 model in early spring? At least you have your beast and take it out fist thing in March or April.
Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
Trips
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jeep srt

Maybe you can use this delay as a bargaining chip for a better deal on your current order. Express your frustration and explain that you'd be storing the car as soon as you get it, I bet they may sweeten the deal. If not walk and order for next spring.

If you are interested, my local dealer outside Chicago is outstanding and willing to deal. Drop me a pm.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

suck it up man, things happen and stress about more important things. You sound more upset that you didn't get one of the "first" ones. I would probably cancel the deal, take your money for your M3, leave the tax savings and reorder in the spring. Just because the first wave of M5's are having some oil pump issues, be glad they caught it in time and didn't deliver it to you and having it blow up while in your possesion. Most people are aware there are usually some issues with the first batch of cars. I'm not surprised, but still at the end of the day this is one bad ass car with rave reviews and you'll probably regret not buying it if you pass now or in spring. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I am in the same predicament and my car is on the boat from ED. I will probably have to store my car as well but its a great car. As much complaining as I have done on the way that BMW has handled the situation the car is still a great car. I think you will regret not getting the vehicle. Who knows maybe this winter will be a mild one
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
leslieworle
Rep
Drives: volvo

These types of stories are every where right now throughout the different forums.
      09-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
apple555
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw M5

the bigger issue is the lack of side bolstering or seat width adjustment that bmw left out on the 2013 m5. They also have to fix the poor suspension design in the rear that makes a clunking noise over speed bumps. i would cancel my order until they work out the bugs.
Appreciate 0