BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

launch control ain't working too good, maybe MDM??

any suggestions ?

I just hop of the line like crazy using launch control...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745009
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745009
And how did that answer his question?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

My car launches and immediately the tires spin all over place and the car starts turning sideways. Useless feature?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
My car launches and immediately the tires spin all over place and the car starts turning sideways. Useless feature?

Its launch control for rpm's..... You still control throttle... Back off lightly if you get out of line/counter steer. Get back on throttle as soon and smooth as you can keep traction..... Spinning isn't fast.. But its tons of fun!

Its not auto pilot. Its a glorified 2step

Aloha
Alex
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDank View Post
Its launch control for rpm's..... You still control throttle... Back off lightly if you get out of line/counter steer. Get back on throttle as soon and smooth as you can keep traction..... Spinning isn't fast.. But its tons of fun!

Its not auto pilot. Its a glorified 2step

Aloha
Alex
Once you back off the throttle the launch control is no longer active. You have to keep it pinned
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Once you back off the throttle the launch control is no longer active. You have to keep it pinned
yeah thats what i thought too. it gets deactivated. because even though your in manual mode it shifts for you as long as you keep it pinned.

only thing, (i tried it twice last night at the strip,) the first time i was in the right lane, i never am able to get off the line on time because its just so tricky to get it armed as you have like maybe one second to set it up and launch if you wanna get off as soon as the the light is green.

anyway the car just starting shuttering violently and hopping all over the place right after i launched. it did this for what seemed like at least 20-50 feet. when it finally hooked up it was a clean hookup but it was way too late.

my 60' time was like 2.3 and i did a 12.4 that run. my first.

next the i tried MDM in auto and managed a 12.2 at 119.79

still my 60' was 2.2. and even though i was in MDM i still spun quite a bit in 1st and second.

then tried the launch control in the left lane, and same thing, violent shuttering and hopping.

the whole time im thinking - what the hell is going on? it sounds like the car is literally going to vibrate into 1000 pieces. i had the same issue with my e60 m5 come to think of it.

when it hooked up on this run, it was like the car went into limp mode because i finished with a retarded 109 mph speed.

at that point i was like , ok, that's it for the launch control.

however this didnt happen with race start on my cls63. just clean launches. maybe a tiny, tiny skip off the line, that's it.

the only thing with the AMG race start, its completely HOPELESS to get it set up. even worse than the m5. you end up being there fiddling with you settings for like 2 or 3 seconds and by that time the guy your racing is halfway down the track...

i did a few more runs, all in auto, MDM and managed another 12.2 and a 12.3

but all in all i dont get this launch control, if its maybe an issue with the traction on this particular track, or what.

the temp ranged from around 23 deg C to 17 towards the later runs

i never attempted to do a burnout before either pass, and drove around the water box each time..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
yeah thats what i thought too. it gets deactivated. because even though your in manual mode it shifts for you as long as you keep it pinned.

only thing, (i tried it twice last night at the strip,) the first time i was in the right lane, i never am able to get off the line on time because its just so tricky to get it armed as you have like maybe one second to set it up and launch if you wanna get off as soon as the the light is green.

anyway the car just starting shuttering violently and hopping all over the place right after i launched. it did this for what seemed like at least 20-50 feet. when it finally hooked up it was a clean hookup but it was way too late.

my 60' time was like 2.3 and i did a 12.4 that run. my first.

next the i tried MDM in auto and managed a 12.2 at 119.79

still my 60' was 2.2. and even though i was in MDM i still spun quite a bit in 1st and second.

then tried the launch control in the left lane, and same thing, violent shuttering and hopping.

the whole time im thinking - what the hell is going on? it sounds like the car is literally going to vibrate into 1000 pieces. i had the same issue with my e60 m5 come to think of it.

when it hooked up on this run, it was like the car went into limp mode because i finished with a retarded 109 mph speed.

at that point i was like , ok, that's it for the launch control.

however this didnt happen with race start on my cls63. just clean launches. maybe a tiny, tiny skip off the line, that's it.

the only thing with the AMG race start, its completely HOPELESS to get it set up. even worse than the m5. you end up being there fiddling with you settings for like 2 or 3 seconds and by that time the guy your racing is halfway down the track...

i did a few more runs, all in auto, MDM and managed another 12.2 and a 12.3

but all in all i dont get this launch control, if its maybe an issue with the traction on this particular track, or what.

the temp ranged from around 23 deg C to 17 towards the later runs

i never attempted to do a burnout before either pass, and drove around the water box each time..
One thing you can do is pull up to the line and don't stage until everything is ready to arm for your launch control. At least your MPH is up there with the 11.8 pass, which means you are making power, just have to work on your 60'. I wanted to come out so bad, but I didn't get my car in for the 1st service yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
One thing you can do is pull up to the line and don't stage until everything is ready to arm for your launch control. At least your MPH is up there with the 11.8 pass, which means you are making power, just have to work on your 60'. I wanted to come out so bad, but I didn't get my car in for the 1st service yet.

well you you don't reall have a choice, unless in missin something, after you push the lever forward, you can't move forward any more until you launch.

I have my M1 programmed to sport plus and S3, so I'm already in M1 mode before I even pull up to the lights. but it still takes a second or do to push the lever forward, take a quick glance to make sure Launch control active appears in the cluster , then, floor the gas, remove your left foot from the brake(actually you don't need to do this after you floor it, it could be before.

but there's literally no time, or any of that. it's very difficult. all my reaction times were between 1 and 2 seconds. when I attempted LC.

it's funny, the 12.2 pass, I ran against a mustang 5.0

even though I did a normal launch off idle, i still messed it up bigtime. he still got off the line waaaay before me. by the time I really got moving he was a good 8-10 car lengths ahead if me. but the rate at which I reeled him in was quite amazing. i realized quickly, before my eyes what a ridiculously fast car the f10 m5 is.

we crossed the line at about the same time.

I think he ran a 12.9 that run.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Make sure you suspension is in comfort mode also try backing down the RPMs a bit during launch
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
MasterDank
Boats & Hoes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Sakhir Orang,Chohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Thats fine.. Launch is the start.. Once moving you don't need launch control... You have to use self control pinning it is the common misconception to going faster. Not always the case..

Try it and you will get better..

Aloha
Alex
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
bmwmmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

I think there are two launch modes: Burnout mode and launch mode. Thats what the e60 M5 had and I think it was passed to this model and all of you are using Burnout mode instead, hence the crazy tire spinning.

Burnout mode you engage everything, hold the gear lever forward and stomp the throttle then when ready release lever to launch.

Launch mode you engage everything, hold the gear lever forward and ease on the throttle slowly until it is at wot then when ready release lever to launch.

Try the launch mode and report back with results.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmmm
I think there are two launch modes: Burnout mode and launch mode. Thats what the e60 M5 had and I think it was passed to this model and all of you are using Burnout mode instead, hence the crazy tire spinning.

Burnout mode you engage everything, hold the gear lever forward and stomp the throttle then when ready release lever to launch.

Launch mode you engage everything, hold the gear lever forward and ease on the throttle slowly until it is at wot then when ready release lever to launch.

Are you serious? I've never heard of 2 modes
      09-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmmm View Post

lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
bmwmmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Are you serious? I've never heard of 2 modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
lol.
This is what the E60 M5 had (although alot of owners didn't realize it, only a few did) and I think it was carried on the F10 aswell. Just go out and try it, only thing that could happen is it either works or it doesn't, no harm done.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Has anyone "perfected" this yet? My LC has been inconsistent and I've been practicing...

I'm always looking for the flag and LC to light up. My procedure is to come to a stop (the car is in sport plus and S3, DSC off of course) apply the brake, push the lever forward, floor the throttle, and release the brake. It seems that the LC flags only come on once I release the brake - same for you guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
singularity
Driver
Rep
Drives: M5 (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
Has anyone "perfected" this yet? My LC has been inconsistent and I've been practicing...

I'm always looking for the flag and LC to light up. My procedure is to come to a stop (the car is in sport plus and S3, DSC off of course) apply the brake, push the lever forward, floor the throttle, and release the brake. It seems that the LC flags only come on once I release the brake - same for you guys?
I don't dare using LC at all after a fellow with M3 (E92) said that the gearbox (not the clutch) is estimated to get damaged after 20 LCs. This is myth isn't it? How many times have you used yours so far and what's the exact 'wear' caused by it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post

I don't dare using LC at all after a fellow with M3 (E92) said that the gearbox (not the clutch) is estimated to get damaged after 20 LCs. This is myth isn't it? How many times have you used yours so far and what's the exact 'wear' caused by it?

Myth
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
Ak3249
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
As far as I know, the more you use it the quicker you need your clutch replaced, same as a real stick.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
Myth
Agree w Niko - total myth..

Do you really think a manufacturer would include it after potential damage after 20 times? This car was built for it!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Same here, I used launch control from 3500RPM and ended up sideways at around 30MPH and had to disengage. Of course right before I engaged it, I ran over a dam puddle from sprinklers, not sure what affect that had on it. Ill try comfort suspension next time, anyone else had any success with LC? Insane feature..LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #22
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerStarBmw View Post
Same here, I used launch control from 3500RPM and ended up sideways at around 30MPH and had to disengage. Of course right before I engaged it, I ran over a dam puddle from sprinklers, not sure what affect that had on it.
Yes, wet tires would not be a helpful additive to your launch.
Appreciate 0