BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White E92 M3

Mix/Match of Possible Mods

It has been determined that I have the Akrapovic Slip On exhaust and the resonator was removed by the previous owner of my 08 E92 M3. I want to get a full exhaust. I first thought it best to get the Akrapovic x-pipe mid pipe but it only comes with 100 cell cats and removes the primary cats. Being in CA that is asking for trouble. IND recommended the Challenge Street X-Pipe since it keeps the primary cat and thus would not fail obdII testing. Since CA might lose the visual inspection in 2014 that would be a big deal.

So, do any of you know what it will sound like if I get the Challenge Street X-Pipe and couple it to the Akrapovic Slip On exhaust?

For intake mod I was thinking about the Dinan intake or the MS intake. Excluding appearance... is one better than the other?

I am also contemplating upgrading the pulley... probably the one by ESS. Is it worth the cost and effort?

Lastly, do you guys think the ESS tune for the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust with the cold start mod would sound good/better than no flash? I hate the cold start drone I have with the Akrapovic Slip On.
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
All of your questions aside from the subjectiveness of the sound of the exhaust can be found with a search of the forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I spent about 6 hours searching m3post as well as Google and so far I only see one person with the Akrapovic Slip On and the Challenge Street X-Pipe. I asked him about it but have yet to receive a reply. I also figured the ESS tune for the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust might not sound as good with the Akrapovic Slip On/ Challenge Street X-Pipe combo since it wasn't designed specifically for the mixed combo. I was hoping for a comment from someone who has heard both. That's nowhere on the web. I'll keep searching for the rest.
2008 AW E92 M3: Stage II and DCT tune by BPM Sport, convenience coding + coding for mDrive w/Euro MDM (no iDrive) & alarm retrofit by BPM Sport, Fox Red interior, ESS midpipe, Corsa slip on exhaust, carbon fiber M Performance spoiler, black grills, black OEM M3 ZCP 19" wheels, 15/12mm spacers and AW painted reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman View Post
It has been determined that I have the Akrapovic Slip On exhaust and the resonator was removed by the previous owner of my 08 E92 M3. I want to get a full exhaust. I first thought it best to get the Akrapovic x-pipe mid pipe but it only comes with 100 cell cats and removes the primary cats. Being in CA that is asking for trouble. IND recommended the Challenge Street X-Pipe since it keeps the primary cat and thus would not fail obdII testing. Since CA might lose the visual inspection in 2014 that would be a big deal.

So, do any of you know what it will sound like if I get the Challenge Street X-Pipe and couple it to the Akrapovic Slip On exhaust?

For intake mod I was thinking about the Dinan intake or the MS intake. Excluding appearance... is one better than the other?

I am also contemplating upgrading the pulley... probably the one by ESS. Is it worth the cost and effort?

Lastly, do you guys think the ESS tune for the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust with the cold start mod would sound good/better than no flash? I hate the cold start drone I have with the Akrapovic Slip On.
Challenge street will not pass visual in CA, as the secondary cats are removed in this setup. FYI: Power is robbed by the primary cats, which are very restrictive. Unfortunately, there is not an aftermarket X-pipe on the market that is CARB approved. The stock X-pipe will need to be reinstalled if you expect to pass emissions testing.

Afterwards: since you already have an Akrapovic, why not mate it with an Akrapovic X-Pipe or if cost is prohibitive: Challenge Sport?

The Macht Schnell S2 intake is a good choice, and also offers an underdrive pulley to match. While the cars do very well in stock form in adjusting to mods, the ESS tune would simply be the icing on the cake afterwards for those more aggressive drivers.

Welcome to the forum, I understand the overwheling amount of info in here can be a bit intimidating at times. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss options.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Hey man,

As you can see in the sig, I have a very similar set of mods, albeit I'm sticking with the slip-on.

Let me know if you have questions - never had the card dyno'ed, however. Will only have my subjective opinion to share - no empircal data, unfortunately.
      09-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
jagman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your comments. The more I think about it, it does seem best to get the Akra midpipe and keep the OEM mid pipe to swap and toggle flashes back to OEM before smogging... just as you suggested. That also looks pretty easy to do at home . Adding the MS Intake kit and pulley will make for simple yet effective mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

May want to consider the Dinan pulley. Has smaller diameter (more aggressive) vs competition (worth maybe a couple more hp)
Appreciate 0