BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Tony83
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S F56 Jcw kit

Question M5 and Brake pedal Feedback

Hi guys,
I'm an Italian fun of Bmw M world Last Saturday I had the fortune to take part to the Bmw M track days at Vallelunga Circuit near Rome. I drove M3 coupé, M3 cabrio and the wonderful M5
It was an amazing experience that I will forever remember!
I write in this forum because I have a question: I love the M5 brutal engine, the fastest DGK and the fantastic chassis but I didn't like too much the brake system: in particular, I found the brake pedal too "soft" to move Instead, It shoud have a "racing feedback".
Do you know if is there the possibility to modify the feedback pedal electronically? With this change the M5 would be PERFECT!

ps: sorry for my bad English
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I agree with you on braking feel. I like more "bite" when you stab the pedal. Felt like a LOT of pedal travel before you get into serious braking. You adapt, of course, but I also wish it could be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Tony83
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S F56 Jcw kit

I think the same! A "monster" car like the M5 should have a great pedal! However, I think that the ceramic brake could offer a better feeling but, at what price!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I put a 1,000 miles on the car and the pedal feels just fine to me. In fact the feel is similar to my previous Panamera
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Brakes feel fine to me on the street, but get soft on the track. I have not lost braking power, just pedal feel... I also find the antilock system intrusive. Perhaps I lack the experience required to threshold brake without invoking anti lock function, but even so, it feels somewhat panicky at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad View Post
Brakes feel fine to me on the street, but get soft on the track. I have not lost braking power, just pedal feel... I also find the antilock system intrusive. Perhaps I lack the experience required to threshold brake without invoking anti lock function, but even so, it feels somewhat panicky at the limit.
Pedal 'feel' i.e. pedal feels spongy, implies you need better brake fluid. If you actually lose braking performance it's a pad issue. I intend to replace the OEM fluid ASAP with something like AP Racing 650 or Endless 650. I sent an email to Endless asking about whether their excellent MX72 pad was available for the F10 M5 yet and unfortunately it isn't. Hope it's out before too much longer as its a great high performance street/intermediate track pad.
Bush
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Try a different pad when they become available. The StopTech StreetSport pad is very good on the street and pretty damn good on the track for a street pad.

I can't imagine changing the fluid will affect brake feel unless you boil the fluid. If that's the case, the Castrol SRF is the best there is. It's the WET boiling point one should be most interested in since the fluid will absorb moisture over time and become "wet."
Stainless steel lines maybe help a little, but a lot of mags have disliked the steering feel and mushy pedal.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

+1 for what I'm reporting being a fluid issue. Root cause is actually a heat generation/dissipation imbalance, but the input power is very high!
Changing fluid and improving ducting will both help.
I won't bother as brakes are fine for even the most spirited street driving a prudent grown up would do and this is not my track car. The excursion was purely to see how the wolf would behave out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I'll be testing the brakes on Laguna Seca in a few weeks!...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
I'll be testing the brakes on Laguna Seca in a few weeks!...
Which event? I'll have mine back in States by end of Oct.
Appreciate 0