Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Opinions Needed: Tint Issue

Hey guys,
After doing some significant research, I decided to have Huper Optik Ceramic 30% installed on my Imperial Blue M5. I talked to 4 different installers and ended up choosing the one who was an authorized Huper Optik installer. I paid $475 for the tint on all windows except the windshield and am pleased with the results EXCEPT the DOT compliance sticker that was put on my driver's side window.

I have had 12-15 cars tinted and have never seen a sticker as obtrusive as this one. In all reality, most of my other cars haven't had the sticker at all and as I look around at friends and coworkers cars, most don't have it either.

I saw the sticker but picked up the car anyway as I was running late for a meeting but contacted the tint shop owner afterward. He told me that the sticker is mandated by Huper Optik and the DOT and that if I decide I want it removed it would void my warranty on the tint PLUS I would have to pay $75 for him to re-tint the driver's side window. I told him that was ridiculous and he should have shown me the sticker before they put the tint on. It's nothing more than a rolling advertising for the company, pretty pathetic if you ask me.

So I think I'm stuck, I can't deal with this white sticker on my brand new $100K car, but don't think it's fair that I pay $75 and void my warranty on overpriced, delicate tint. Just to be clear, this isn't about the $75 or the warranty being voided, but a matter of principle and bad business practices. Am I blowing this out of proportion??

Any thoughts/opinions?

This picture was taken in my garage without the flash:

09-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

That is ridiculous and frankly looks like hell. Pay the $75 to have it replaced and never use that guy again. Plus spread the word so that other's won't have to go thru' this mess. BTW, I think that's a really extreme price just for window tint.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Vinsanity12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I live in Houston too and got a ticket in my last car for not having the proper sticker. Just know that if the cop is a dick you can get a ticket for it.

That being said your installer was not helpful. I am using EVS motorsports on Bellaire Blvd. They are giving me the same tint as you on everything but the windshield for $425. There sticker is less annoying also. When I did my X5 they didn't put it on the car until I asked them to (due to the past run in with the law)

p.s. I think that line about it voiding the warranty is BS. Does every place that sells Huper Optik require that sticker? I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity12 View Post
I live in Houston too and got a ticket in my last car for not having the proper sticker. Just know that if the cop is a dick you can get a ticket for it.

That being said your installer was not helpful. I am using EVS motorsports on Bellaire Blvd. They are giving me the same tint as you on everything but the windshield for $425. There sticker is less annoying also. When I did my X5 they didn't put it on the car until I asked them to (due to the past run in with the law)

p.s. I think that line about it voiding the warranty is BS. Does every place that sells Huper Optik require that sticker? I doubt it.
Yup, I talked to EVS, and should have gone with them....I went with Sun Shield because they are an authorized dealer of Huper...should have stuck with a professional.
      09-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Cccccrraazzzzyyy!!! That's a bunch of nonsense and i agree, have him fix it and then never use him again. I would picket in front of his shop if it were me and ruin his busiest day! I Also have never seen tint cost so much and I have tinted every car I have owned for over 15 years and I always do the windshield, I live in Miami and its a must. 3m is what I use and never had an issue, windshield is lighter than windows, that's the trick so the cops see a difference and leave alone, tickets very very infrequent but 10$ purchased removal receipt solves the case that tint guy you are speaking of sounds like a boob....
Appreciate 0