BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
JSILVER135I
Private
Rep
Drives: SILVER 135I, MSPORT PKG

Which catch can are most people running?

So after having the carbon cleaned out of my engine once already. I've been really considering adding an oil catch can. I was looking at the BSH one on mod bargains and also the horse power freaks one. I really like the second one but HPF wants $500! Is it worth it considering the BSH is half the price at $259! And benefits to the HPF one? I watched HPF's install video and he said that there's has a baffle system that actually sucks the blow by through as opposed to just relying on Pcv pressure to force it in! He said that most catch cans without that feature would just allow the blow by to go right back into the intake! I want to add one but I want it to actually give me a benefit! Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

BMS is less than $200 and I've heard good things about it's design. I have the BSH and can't say that I've accumulated enough oil in the last 6K miles to say it was worth it. You should also replace your two factory PCV valves on that side, Rob Beck sells upgraded PCV valves as the stocks are known to leak even low miles on the engine.
      09-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

after installing the BMS and checking it every few months...it has taken me 5 months to even get any oil in the catch can, and its so little it cant even be poured out.

wasn't expensive but i'd be pissed if it was.

Last edited by phrenetiK; 09-04-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
JSILVER135I
Private
Rep

Lol so does that mean that the BMS catch can design is crap or does it mean that we just dot need one on our cars? Because I was reading an article I found on theese forums and it said that the n54 and 55 and all turbo motrs for that matter, really suffer from increased blow by due to the forced induction. Would I be wasting my money or would the horse power freaks one really be te only way to go! I'm trying to do everything in my power to help prevent this carbon buildup issue including switching fuels to strictly she'll 91 octane. As they are the only station I can find with 0 ethanol content in there premium. (BMW master tech says n54 hates ethanol!) and I've also been driving my car a little harder than before to allow it to run a bit hotter to brake down any carbon deposits! I will get the catch can if it is proven to do anything! If not I will put my money somewhere else that matters.... Lol like jb4
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep

might just be my car doesn't produce a lot of blowby. granted I am map 2 jb4 so from what I read I would have a lot...no clue though.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

BMS oil CC is the best for the money and it works. If you drive normal, there is not much oil vapor passing through, unless you drive agressive, then it will catch the oil. Better have it than not.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSILVER135I View Post
Lol so does that mean that the BMS catch can design is crap or does it mean that we just dot need one on our cars? Because I was reading an article I found on theese forums and it said that the n54 and 55 and all turbo motrs for that matter, really suffer from increased blow by due to the forced induction. Would I be wasting my money or would the horse power freaks one really be te only way to go! I'm trying to do everything in my power to help prevent this carbon buildup issue including switching fuels to strictly she'll 91 octane. As they are the only station I can find with 0 ethanol content in there premium. (BMW master tech says n54 hates ethanol!) and I've also been driving my car a little harder than before to allow it to run a bit hotter to brake down any carbon deposits! I will get the catch can if it is proven to do anything! If not I will put my money somewhere else that matters.... Lol like jb4
Hehe excuses to drive faster, I think you've found the solution to FI oil and carbon sludge

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Check your fmic for oil. If your can sucks, you won't catch oil in the can but still get it in the intake track. If you don't have oil in either spot, you aren't blowing by much.
      09-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenetiK View Post
after installing the BMS and checking it every few months...it has taken me 5 months to even get any oil in the catch can, and its so little it cant even be poured out.

Checked mine after 3 months. Had the same scenario. Which I find to be weird seeing as how much oil blow by this car has....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
JSILVER135I
Private
Rep

Haha I hate to say this but how do I check the intercooler for oil buildup? I'm assuming fmic stands for (front mount inter cooler) I'm very new to turbo engines as this is my first so first car with intercooler! Lol bare with me. I'm trying to keep up
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post

Checked mine after 3 months. Had the same scenario. Which I find to be weird seeing as how much oil blow by this car has....
Some cars blow more oil than others. Someone racing around a lot at high boost levels may trap around 1oz per month, while someone not racing around a lot may only catch 1/4 of that or less, but with the BMS OCC in place you will not get oil in intake stream. Even a small amount of oil can coat and drop the efficiency of the IC, cake on valves, etc.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I have a BMS on my car. Really well made quality OCC. I had the catch can on my car for about 6K miles and to my surprise, it was 100% dry when i opened it up to drain it. Ill open it up again when i do my intake valves and see if any oil is in there now. As some have noted, some cars blow more oil than others. I must have a dryer one.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep

glad im not the only one. i drive my car like I stole it quite often.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
JSILVER135I
Private
Rep

Hmm just wondering if your catch cans are dry because it isn't doing its job properly! If you watch the horse power freaks install guide for there catch can on you tube he briefly mentions why there's works and others don't and allow oil to still go rigjt past the can and still get into the intake manifold! I know it's them trying to sell their product, but it kinda makes sense! I cant remember what he says but it's something about how there's is the only one that has something designed into it that actually helps suck the gunk out of the vapors so it collects more!?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

So does OCC works? I just got the BMS one, still pending as to whether I should install on my N55 motor.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Some cars definitely blow by more than others. Peoples driving habits vary a lot too. HPF can is still on the hotter side of the engine bay whereas the BMS can is on the cooler side. Wonder what affect on crankcase pressure the HPF can has? Abnormal crankcase pressure is my primary concern. There's a big thread somewhere from someone who tested different catch cans on the same car and measured crankcase pressures. Even the BSH can was shown to be moderateyl restrictive, but that testing was done before the BMS can was around. Rob Beck says on the install guide for his turbos to not use use any catch can unless its the BMS "high flow" can. These reasons are why I chose the BMS can after previously owning 2 other cans. I don't catch much oil either, but, the inlet side of my BMS can is wet with a film of oil while the outlet line is bone dry. Chargepipe is much drier these days too, as would be expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
ReyT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Some cars definitely blow by more than others. Peoples driving habits vary a lot too. HPF can is still on the hotter side of the engine bay whereas the BMS can is on the cooler side. Wonder what affect on crankcase pressure the HPF can has? Abnormal crankcase pressure is my primary concern. There's a big thread somewhere from someone who tested different catch cans on the same car and measured crankcase pressures. Even the BSH can was shown to be moderateyl restrictive, but that testing was done before the BMS can was around. Rob Beck says on the install guide for his turbos to not use use any catch can unless its the BMS "high flow" can. These reasons are why I chose the BMS can after previously owning 2 other cans. I don't catch much oil either, but, the inlet side of my BMS can is wet with a film of oil while the outlet line is bone dry. Chargepipe is much drier these days too, as would be expected.
you are probably referring to dzenno's research.
Appreciate 0