BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Wastegate Ticking/Rattle

I went to the BMW stealership and was charged $130 for a diagnostic test on my car, that they didn't diagnose.

So I decided to fix it myself with the help from Mr.5's DIY. It works!

I went to SEARS to get a 4mm, because Lowes, Harbor Freight or Home Depot didn't have one.
Also, remember your space is very limited while working in there so you'll need small wrenches.

In case you're not sure what you're looking for, watch the quick video.
(recorded with my phone)

Originally Posted by Mr. 5
I take no responsibility for what you do with your car. What you do is at your own risk!
As some of you know, I've had some problems with my wastegates rattling.
I was one of the first to have this issue.
If you don't know about this issue then read the link down below and look at the pictures. It will help you understand this issue.
I started this thread once I found what I thought was the issue but then I realized that it had nothing to do with gaps where I thought.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132037
I closed that thread because of a couple reasons:
1. If you want it done professionally and you don't care about the extra lag and the less power with tunes then you need to take it into the dealer and have them fix it.
2. This really is a solution to the problem. In most (if not all) cases that I know, the wastegate ticking is caused from the rear wastegate ticking. The front one is perfectly fine.
First off, how is everything working?
When you start the car with a pre 29.2 program, the rear wastegate shuts at idle to decrease some of the lag.
The solenoid is controlled electronically to control the actuator with a vacuum. This is why there is a vacuum line going from the solenoid to the actuator.
When the actuator is being controlled with a vacuum, the actuator rod gets sucked into the actuator, which pulls the wastegate closed.
The ticking is the sound of the wastegate rattling against the seal if there is not enough pressure keeping it closed.
Why does 29.2 solve the issue most of the time?
Because with this program, when you start the car up, the rear wastegate is not closed anymore. It is open. Therefore, there is nothing to rattle against any seal.
Here is the issue:
The Actuator Rod is loosening after time. When the rod loosens, the length of the rod increases and increases, eventually making the wastegate not seal properly. Since there eventually becomes little to no pressure against the seal, then the wastegate rattles against the seal, causing the ticking sound.
I took my car to the dealer and they told me that in order to fix the problem, they would need to first update the program to the newest software before they touch the wastegates. The dealer does not adjust the actuators. They are told to replace the actuators with brand new ones and then adjust the new ones.
So, because of this, I refused the service.
Let's think about how to fix this:
There is the one 10mm nut, and there is a groove on the actuator rod, which is meant for a wrench to adjust.
I figured, why I can’t I do this?
The first thing you need to do is loosen the 10mm nut.
Second, you need to find a wrench that's small enough to fit in the groove of the rod. I actually made one using a regular piece of scrap metal in the garage and a dremel to cut a groove in it since I don't have tools that small.
Once you have the tool, tighten the rod a couple revolutions (this is subjective because some ticking could be worse than others). Of course, you don't want to tighten the rod up that much since the wastegates still need to open.
Seriously, for those out there that never ever wants the new program because of the lag and all the crap that goes with it, this really is an easy solution for you to do if you are somewhat handy.
I take no responsibility for what you do with your car. What you do is at your own risk!
      08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Why did you not press the issue at the dealership instead of DIY? There is a recall on the wastegates, you could possibly have defective parts so the adjustment is a temporary solution at best.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Why would you have to pay a diagnostic fee??? That makes no sense to me...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

What dealership did you go to in the Boston area?
      08-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
evoq007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Aaron, I had a wastegate rattle, complained. Got new turbos. WIN!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
I'm in the midst of doing this now! New turbos at 78K

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
Why did you not press the issue at the dealership instead of DIY? There is a recall on the wastegates, you could possibly have defective parts so the adjustment is a temporary solution at best.
I am...they asked me to remove all the modifications and then they'll do it. This fix isn't temporary...BMW just likes to replace parts most of the time rather than fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Why would you have to pay a diagnostic fee??? That makes no sense to me...
My warranty was up at 50K and they decided to tax me...oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs454 View Post
What dealership did you go to in the Boston area?
Sudbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
Nice! I wish it was that easy for me. What mods do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Congratulations! I hope when I return everything to stock, things go smoothly. What mods do you have?

Last edited by UsualSuspect; 08-23-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Mine is in the shop right now probably undergoing the same fate.

Car sounds like chit at startup and deceleration due to the rattle. The noise is quite loud and embarassing to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Mine is in the shop right now probably undergoing the same fate.

Car sounds like chit at startup and deceleration due to the rattle. The noise is quite loud and embarassing to say the least.
Yeah I noticed it when I decelerated in 2nd next to a line of parked cars. I didnt even hear the engine with my exhaust...

My car sounded like a bicycle coasting!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I noticed it when I decelerated in 2nd next to a line of parked cars. I didnt even hear the engine with my exhaust...

My car sounded like a bicycle coasting!
don't mean to threadjack op...

So did the dealer try to just replace the wastegates first or did they own up and replaced the turbo's without hesitation?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't mean to threadjack op...

So did the dealer try to just replace the wastegates first or did they own up and replaced the turbo's without hesitation?
Were fighting right now. See my thread on the subject. We can keep talking here.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733801

Sorry OP!

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Were fighting right now. See my thread on the subject. We can keep talking here.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733801

Sorry OP!
No sweat! That's what this is for.
      08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
n54door
Banned
Rep

He is getting bent over on this. I may start a thread highlighting owners cases and the dealers issuing repairs or denials to help show who is getting help or screwed, and why.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He is getting bent over on this. I may start a thread highlighting owners cases and the dealers issuing repairs or denials to help show who is getting help or screwed, and why.
I dont have the time with work. But something like that would certainly help my case.

Just got told "Youre wastegates have failed, but they havent failed enough to constitute a replacement"

What a load of shit.

In the last week it went - come in we need to replace everything, to, well sorry youll have to come back later.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I dont have the time with work. But something like that would certainly help my case.

Just got told "Youre wastegates have failed, but they havent failed enough to constitute a replacement"

What a load of shit.

In the last week it went - come in we need to replace everything, to, well sorry youll have to come back later.
Tell them to prove it has not failed enough for replacement, and explain it in detail.

Does your car have the symptoms described in the bulletin? If so, it's open shut - there is not a mention of gradiation of failure, it either failed or didn't, period. I would be hot man, push it and push it. Bring the car back daily, make them work, and be a thorn in their side until they do it right.

Shit like this pisses me off. You shouldn't have to fight it. They get paid by BMW, wtf do they care if they repair/deny the claim?
Appreciate 0