BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
addict135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

White smoke out of exhaust?

Hey guys, I just installed kittyless downpipes and I already have a custom kittyless no cat no muffler no resonator , and there's a lot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust, like lots of it, when the car is cold and when the car is warm! Anyone having the same problem? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
addict135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
nnguyen04
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

i get some white smoke randomly on startup. thought it was normal tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Water vapor is a byproduct of normal combustion of gasoline. Depending on air temperature and humidity it can be noticeable. It shouldn't be random. There shouldn't be "lots of it" but who knows what you think "lots" means. "Lots" is not a measurable quantity.

I'm not certain if having the catalysts removed will really matter. I've never noticed much of a difference in normal condensation with or without catalysts, just in the smell of gasoline.

One other possibility is water getting into the exhaust via other means. Do you park outside? Some aftermarket exhausts have a tip that tilts up and sticks out far from the bumper and could collect some water from rain. When the muffler warms up it starts to evaporate or boil off. You could take the muffler off and see if anything drains out. I also knew someone who had a prank played on him and people sprayed water into his exhaust. It billowed white smoke like smoke bomb.

OR you have a headgasket leak and that's coolant. Headgasket failure doesn't seem that common with our motors, though.

If you are worried about it take it in to a professional to have it looked it, or post a video.
      08-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
addict135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Water vapor is a byproduct of normal combustion of gasoline. Depending on air temperature and humidity it can be noticeable. It shouldn't be random. There shouldn't be "lots of it" but who knows what you think "lots" means. "Lots" is not a measurable quantity.

I'm not certain if having the catalysts removed will really matter. I've never noticed much of a difference in normal condensation with or without catalysts, just in the smell of gasoline.

One other possibility is water getting into the exhaust via other means. Do you park outside? Some aftermarket exhausts have a tip that tilts up and sticks out far from the bumper and could collect some water from rain. When the muffler warms up it starts to evaporate or boil off. You could take the muffler off and see if anything drains out. I also knew someone who had a prank played on him and people sprayed water into his exhaust. It billowed white smoke like smoke bomb.

OR you have a headgasket leak and that's coolant. Headgasket failure doesn't seem that common with our motors, though.

If you are worried about it take it in to a professional to have it looked it, or post a video.

thanks for getting to me, my tips do stick up but after i changed my downpipes it started doing it, it happens when my car is cold or hot, driving or parked, its really bad and smells terrible. any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict135i View Post
thanks for getting to me, my tips do stick up but after i changed my downpipes it started doing it, it happens when my car is cold or hot, driving or parked, its really bad and smells terrible. any other ideas?
This has happened to several members on the forum. Most find that oil is getting by the turbo seals. Before the downpipe change the hot cats would clean this up. To check this you could loosen the mids from the downpipe and see if any oil residue is present. Hope this is not the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
addict135i
Lieutenant
Rep

I have asked around, there saying it might be the o2 sensors are mixed up, and are in the wrong holes which makes too much gas come out and white smoke comes out..anyone think that can we be the problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

If o2 sensors were in the wrong holes you'd be having drivability issues, not just smoke. Someone already told you what it is... A bit of oil gets past the turbos seals and before you removed the cats it wasn't noticeable. Now it is. Doesn't necessarily mean your turbos are shot, I think lots of people go on for 10s of thousands of miles with some amount of smoking. You probably have 3 options: Live with it, new turbos, or put cats back on. I'm currently taking the live with it option, but mine doesn't smoke too bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Possibly your turbo seals are going bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
addict135i
Lieutenant
Rep

I am having trouble driving too, my car sometimes like feels like its about to stall, check engine light comes out, I am going to get them checked tommrow, hopefully that's my problem !
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Do you have an intake? I was getting big plumes of white smoke when I had my intake and it would get a little wet... I also have a vented hood. So, I removed the intake. Didn't do anything anyways.
      08-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
lucaa135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

it could be your HFPF, and yes it could be your turbo seals. I have this problem as well, however mine only happens when the car is cold and I'm at 1500-2000 RPM. once the car warms up a bit, no smoke. If your 02 sensors are not on right, or something is wrong with them it could be causing the issue as well. Basically your car is confused on how much gasoline it needs and is pumping too much of it causing the smoke. Check your mids, check your seals if you can, and your 02 sensors. If your car is feeling like its stalling it may be worth a few bucks to have a tech look at it. In my case i experience no loss of power, or performance so i just let it happen. Let us know what your results are, this is definitely not an un-common event so theres plenty of people that would like to know what you end up finding out. Good luck!
      08-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
addict135i
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess it's my downpipes..I have a full straight pipe, no muffler no res no cats nothing ! The wiring is right, my jb4 was on during, but I took it off and it works 100 times better, so maybe it was my jb4? But its still smoking , I believe my waste gate rattles as well if that has to do with anything
Appreciate 0