BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
suprtran
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
Exclamation HELP!! Car in permanent limp mode after DP install

Summary:
-My N54 135i has DCI, JB4 installed months ago without any hiccups. Performance was good.
-Had VRSF downpipes installed 2 wks ago. 1 day later, Limp Mode light (1/2 yellow engine) came on while on frwy. Plugged in laptop to read the following codes: 29F4 Catalytic converter conversion, 29F5 Catalytic converter conversion 2
-1 day after that SES light came on while on frwy
-Took car into EAS to have all codes read via OBDII scanner. 3 codes showed, the 2 Cat codes and 1 low Turbo pressure code. Also, scanner noted the two rear O2 sensors were not registering anything, completely 0s. EAS cleared the codes and suggested I come back to DP looked at to make sure all O2 sensors were installed and installed in the right place. Car continued to drive in limp mode after codes were cleared
-Brought car back to EAS to double check DP install for misplace O2 sensors, lose gaskets/clamps, etc. Everything was installed properly and O2 sensors are where they should be. Basically, no clue as to why car still in performing in limp mode even with properly installed DPs and with all codes cleared.
-Car was test driven hard before leaving EAS and for the 2nd time, the Limp Mode light came on.

Does anyone know what could be the issue? Blown turbo? Blown rear O2 sensors? Malfunctioning JB4? Defective downpipes? Bad install of downpipes (even though careful visual inspection discovered nothing)?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
I would check the v-band clamp on the rear turbo.
Make sure there is enough clearance for the wastegate actuator, you might need to rotate the vband clamp up a bit so the arm can swing all the way.

A mistake that is often made while installing downpipes is that the vband clamp is positioned in such a way that blocks the wastegate arm.

Also turn on "autoclear" on the JB4, this will clear the codes for the O2 sensors.
Speedo - 1
Tach - 3

Hope this helps

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Yeah make sure your JB4 is set to clear the O2 sensor codes or else you will have a constant CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
crew_chief152
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Make sure you didn't get o2 sensors mixed up.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Check the V-Clamp and install the DP fix, then you are all set to go. Even JB4 clear code is active, you will still get the yellow engine light when emission codes were detected while they were in pending mode.

Trust me, I have been there before. It took me severl weeks to iroon everythings out. Good luck.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
suprtran
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone. I'll have the downpipes rechecked for improper install.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
cunnyngham
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Good info! I just installed my VRSF pipes, and I have been having similar issues.
My hesitation is that I did all the work on my 50K plus, midwestern 135 with jack stands and hand tools. Not looking forward to round 2.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

If you get a very bad idle or stuttering, you may have mixed the O2 Sensors up.

If everything goes smoothly during normal driving conditions up until you go WOT, and then the car hesitates to gain speed which then leads to a CEL; your pipes need to be adjusted because the wastegate is being blocked from opening/closing.
      08-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
suprtran
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX View Post
If you get a very bad idle or stuttering, you may have mixed the O2 Sensors up.

If everything goes smoothly during normal driving conditions up until you go WOT, and then the car hesitates to gain speed which then leads to a CEL; your pipes need to be adjusted because the wastegate is being blocked from opening/closing.

I have both, but have confirmed that the O2 sensors are correctly installed. I will have the pipes/clamps re-looked at tomorrow; hopefully it's that.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
cloud_connected
Banned
Rep
Drives: ATR tuned N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtran View Post
I have both, but have confirmed that the O2 sensors are correctly installed. I will have the pipes/clamps re-looked at tomorrow; hopefully it's that.

Thank you.
If you're getting a turbo under pressure code them a turbo to DP clamp is installed wrong and is preventing the WG actuator from making the turbo make boost. You need to rotate that clamp.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
suprtran
Captain
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: Car fixed!! The issue was the rear Vband clamp that has been hindering the wastegate actuator. Clamp has been repositioned and now car runs great; no more limp mode, SES light or poor performance.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0