BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Recall on my 135i: JB Code

So I just brought my 2011 135i in for its first scheduled service. As this replacement service adviser is going through all the procedures they plan to do during this schedule service, like oil change, brake fluid flush, etc, finally she mentions there is a recall on my 135i and it requires procedure called "JB Code". When I asked for more details on this, she said she wasn't sure what it is but my usual service adviser would be able to tell me more about this. All she said was that it sounds like a software update.

Does anyone know what this is about? Is this the dreaded engine de-tune that adds more turbo lag? Does JB Code have any relation to Juice Box? Or is it some kind of anti-tune software?

She said I should know more about it when I pick up the car but I was just wondering if anyone on this board knows about it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

never heard of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
philsteroni
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Junction box
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
....When I asked for more details on this, she said she wasn't sure what it is but my usual service adviser would be able to tell me more about this. All she said was that it sounds like a software update.

Does anyone know what this is about? Is this the dreaded engine de-tune that adds more turbo lag? Does JB Code have any relation to Juice Box? Or is it some kind of anti-tune software?

She said I should know more about it when I pick up the car but I was just wondering if anyone on this board knows about it.

Thanks!

Never heard of a JB Code SW update. Sounds like a cute internal name though.

I think all recent SW updates incorporate the dreaded lag along with the anti-tuner SW though. Only cars with PPK sw seem to be allowed to have great throttle response like our cars ALL came with!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Never heard of a JB Code SW update. Sounds like a cute internal name though.

I think all recent SW updates incorporate the dreaded lag along with the anti-tuner SW though. Only cars with PPK sw seem to be allowed to have great throttle response like our cars ALL came with!

Dack
Yeah, I was afraid it might be that turbo lag update... I hope the Procede can counteract that.

I should be picking up the car in a day or two so I will definitely report back when I find out exactly what this JB Code is. I just thought someone on this board may have seen this before.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Looks like your will be our Meerschweinchen! (guinea pig).

Please report back what you find. It would be great IF your dealer would give you the SW code level too. Before and after the SW update.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like your will be our Meerschweinchen! (guinea pig).

Please report back what you find. It would be great IF your dealer would give you the SW code level too. Before and after the SW update.
Will do. I will try to get the software info as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsteroni View Post
Junction box
Bingo! I haven't picked up my car yet but I got a call from my service adviser and was told that JB means Junction Box, which needs to be re-coded. The Junction Box controls a number of things, including the heated side mirrors and heated windshield fluid nozzles.

Haven't got any information on the software versions yet since I haven't picked up my car yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
andnkuhn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i.N55.6SPD.M-SPORT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
update?
      08-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andnkuhn View Post
update?
Sorry for the late response, been super busy.

I picked up the car over the weekend. I got a 4 page summary of work they did to my car. Did not carefully review the software update info, I assume that is what you want an update on. I can give you that information when I get home.

The car seems to drive fine though. No noticeable increased lag or throttle response so I was pretty thrilled with that. The only thing I have noticed is tiny hiccups during idling while in Drive at a complete stop. Sometimes I feel a slight vibration/shudder, then I look down at the tachometer and notice that the needle bounces up and down a bit. So far it has happened about 3 or 4 times since the service and only lasts about 2 seconds each time. This only happens at a complete stop when the DCT transmission is in Drive, never happened when idling in Park.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

According to the 4 page summary that I received:

SIB 51 01 11 SIB JB CODING
Service Action SIB PERFORMED SIB 51 01 11 PROGRAMMED VEHICLE INCLUDING CAS

That was the only mention of any software update. Seems to only refer to that Junction Box Recall that I mentioned earlier. Does not appear to include any ECU software update, unless it is bundled into this JB Coding line item.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Looks like you might have dodged a bullet & escaped the dreaded lag!
      08-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Sib 51 01 11...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

wibbles, yeah I think I dodged that lag-inducing software update too. I just noticed today that my DSC Off icon is still the old exclamation point in a triangle in a circle design, not the new car with swerve marks. So this seems to indicate that I am still on the old software.

Dackelone, thanks for the information on that SIB!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
wibbles, yeah I think I dodged that lag-inducing software update too. I just noticed today that my DSC Off icon is still the old exclamation point in a triangle in a circle design, not the new car with swerve marks. So this seems to indicate that I am still on the old software.

Dackelone, thanks for the information on that SIB!!!

Not necessarily. Someone posted before that the new Lag SW update had gone back to the old DSC symbol instead of the skidding car. Something about that new DSC skidding car SW update was meant for the 1M and not our mere "normal" 135i's. So the new lag SW update now comes with the old DSC sw and icon.

So... you could have the lag. You just have to go out and test for it. I really don't know if the latest SW update has it or not. All I know was once I got that lag shit... I was done with SW updates form BMW. I'll go to my tuner for the "good (sw)stuff".

Your quite welcome about that SIB post.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily. Someone posted before that the new Lag SW update had gone back to the old DSC symbol instead of the skidding car. Something about that new DSC skidding car SW update was meant for the 1M and not our mere "normal" 135i's. So the new lag SW update now comes with the old DSC sw and icon.

So... you could have the lag. You just have to go out and test for it. I really don't know if the latest SW update has it or not. All I know was once I got that lag shit... I was done with SW updates form BMW. I'll go to my tuner for the "good (sw)stuff".

Your quite welcome about that SIB post.
Well that makes things way more complicated. As far as I can tell, the throttle is very responsive and the boost builds up smoothly. In fact, it feels way better now that I am stock.

When I had the Procede installed, it made a ton more torque but something about the way it is delivered did not feel linear to me and I was always guessing how much torque I would get for any given throttle application.

Now that I am back to stock, the power delivery is almost telepathic, albeit much less of it. I actually prefer it this way so I might just keep it stock for while until Vishnu comes out with some new maps for the N55 (lols, I won't hold my breath).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Well that makes things way more complicated. As far as I can tell, the throttle is very responsive and the boost builds up smoothly. In fact, it feels way better now that I am stock.

When I had the Procede installed, it made a ton more torque but something about the way it is delivered did not feel linear to me and I was always guessing how much torque I would get for any given throttle application.

Now that I am back to stock, the power delivery is almost telepathic, albeit much less of it. I actually prefer it this way so I might just keep it stock for while until Vishnu comes out with some new maps for the N55 (lols, I won't hold my breath).
The way you describe that non linear power... that sounds to me like lag.

I'm glad you are happy, but I am also curious about your throttle response.

Do you feel like you have to press way down on the throttle to get some reasonable response/acceleration ? Basically what I noticed was before my SW update I could lightly press down on the throttle (say 1/4 or even just 1/5 the way down) and the car would just take off! After the SW update, I had to press at least HALF WAY down to get that SAME sort of acceleration from the engine. I also noticed that the engine idled with less metallic noises(taping/rattling from the injectors) and the engine idled smoother. I gladly gave those benefits up to have my old torque-y engine back. SO I went with a SW flash.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The way you describe that non linear power... that sounds to me like lag.

I'm glad you are happy, but I am also curious about your throttle response.

Do you feel like you have to press way down on the throttle to get some reasonable response/acceleration ? Basically what I noticed was before my SW update I could lightly press down on the throttle (say 1/4 or even just 1/5 the way down) and the car would just take off! After the SW update, I had to press at least HALF WAY down to get that SAME sort of acceleration from the engine. I also noticed that the engine idled with less metallic noises(taping/rattling from the injectors) and the engine idled smoother. I gladly gave those benefits up to have my old torque-y engine back. SO I went with a SW flash.

Dack
Yeah, what I described there was BEFORE I brought my car into service (1st service since I bought the car) when I had the Procede installed and obviously before I got any software updates. Yes, I had turbo lag with Procede.

Prior to bringing in my car for service, I removed the Procede and I have been stock ever since. This is when I noticed that power delivery was much more linear now that I am back to stock.

To answer your question though, no I did not notice any change in throttle application pre and post software update. Most of my driving is done with less than 1/4 throttle. Even stock, I rarely need to apply more than 1/2 throttle.
Appreciate 0