BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Rear Subframe Bushing upgrade: what to get

i see there's a large range available on http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...nd-mounts.aspx

it's a DD, on fairly decent roads, will be matched with just about all other upgrades possible and a decent set of coilovers (spring rates not yet known) - and really unless it's going to be intolerably harsh, i'm more keen for better handling and flatness.

turner solid alu ($300ish)
or oem M3 bushings for $255

would the solid alu ones offer much better handling for not much worse harshness? $45 extra seems not bad to me?

i'm guessing the M3 ones are actually urethane, not 'rubber' rubber? too?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
SkinnyVT
P1
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

I'll add a 3rd option in for you http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog...ion%2FBushings

I've got no experience with any of them. I am fairly certain that the M3 ones are just solid rubber rather than our stock ones which have holes/gaps in the rubber to allow more deflection.
      07-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Buy these...

http://hpashop.com/BMW-Rear-Subframe...e-bushings.htm

search for Dackelone's review and my review.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Buy these...

+1. Here is my writeup...

Dackel's replacement of rear suspension OE bushings with M3 ones…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...frame+bushings

I would go with the M3 bushings. They really do not ride much harsher than stock bushings. But they do not allow the rear axle to move around like the OE bushings do. Gone forever will be that rubber band effect when you get on the gas in a corner!

You should also search for user; Wolfe He tired several transmission bushings (on his 128i, 6MT) - to get a more positive shifter feel. In the end he went with M3 units. I think that says a lot about how well the factory M parts are made. He felt the hardened aftermarket bushings just were too rough of a "feeling" to deal with day in and day out.

I am still VERY HAPPY with my M3 bushings. Our cars should have come with it!! The ride is great, yet the control is there when you throw the car into a turn or drive at high speeds. I really like them.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137
Buy these...

Are those m3 ones?

The akg urethane ones look pretty nice.. Argh choice! Now i have 3 (or 4?) to pick from lol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Are those m3 ones?

The akg urethane ones look pretty nice.. Argh choice! Now i have 3 (or 4?) to pick from lol
I am bit perplexed with the Advert I found. HP had M3 rear subframe bushings in the past and advertised them. They look similar. I would PM Harold at HP Autowerks and ask (you can find his info in the Vendor classifieds) if they have them and ask for a price.

Also, your link...the rear subframe bushings look very similar to stock. The exception would be the Delrin Al bushings, but I think those were made for racing.

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 07-24-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I am bit perplexed with the Advert I found. HP had M3 rear subframe bushings in the past and advertised them. They look similar. I would PM Harold at HP Autowerks and ask (you can find his info in the Vendor classifieds) if they have them and ask for a price.

Also, your link...the rear subframe bushings look very similar to stock. The exception would be the Delrin Al bushings, but I think those were made for racing.
yeah, solid bushings apparently have somewhat worse NVH, but i've had urethane bushings in all previous cars and they've been smooth as butter, so i'm more than willing to do it, especially as i have a pretty short commute on fairly smooth roads
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

One of our 1addicts 'Ring junkies Elsabor67 tried those rear bushing inserts. He liked them so much he is now installing M3 bushings!! ie: he did not care of the way the rear end still had some wiggle/mushiness with those inserts installed.

The M parts are the way to go guys. Don't even mess around with these other "improved" parts. There is a reason why M stuff works on and off the track.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
One of our 1addicts 'Ring junkies Elsabor67 tried those rear bushing inserts. He liked them so much he is now installing M3 bushings!! ie: he did not care of the way the rear end still had some wiggle/mushiness with those inserts installed.

The M parts are the way to go guys. Don't even mess around with these other "improved" parts. There is a reason why M stuff works on and off the track.

Dack
what do you mean inserts? i'm confused
i only linked full bushings

what about the BMW racing group n stuff then? :P

i believe one issue with stiffer bushings, is you need to run stiffer spring rates at the same time, or you'll still get varying levels of bounciness due to having effectively mismatched suspension settings
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
what do you mean inserts? i'm confused
i only linked full bushings

what about the BMW racing group n stuff then? :P

i believe one issue with stiffer bushings, is you need to run stiffer spring rates at the same time, or you'll still get varying levels of bounciness due to having effectively mismatched suspension settings
Sorry - I thought you were talking about those "power flex" (yellow plastic) inserts that go into the OE bushings to firm them up. That is what Elsabor67 tried on his 135i and did not like so much.

I would still stay away from solid bushings. I prefer the M stuff for the street.

Dack
Appreciate 0