BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
af908
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Installing an X-Pipe...

I plan on keeping my primary cats to avoid CEL/emissions issues... a couple questions..

1) do all x pipes require cutting of the factory exhaust to fit? I know Remus race tubes and fabspeed does (according to the rep at **********s).

2) if i WERE to do a full x-pipe (primary cat delete), as well as software, i would have to install the stock system once emissions time came. Can somebody explain to me the software portion of this? In order words, once the software is added is it removable? or am i sending my computer out to be remapped permenantly? If it is permanant, will any CEL's illuminate with the software, and will it still pass emissions? (im in connecticut)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

To keep the stock primaries, yes, you have to cut. Even then, you'll fail visual (if your state has it) for modifying/removing the secondaries.

It's a flash using a cable. It's a five minute task to flash back to stock. Easily completed by you. The tune will delete the cat inefficiency CEL but other CELs will operate normally.
      05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

and should you have to, changing out the HFC/Catless midpipe back to stock is pretty easy. One person job may take 1.5-2 hrs with jack stands.

You don't physically send anything away...just e-mail your stock ECU file
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
af908
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
To keep the stock primaries, yes, you have to cut. Even then, you'll fail visual (if your state has it) for modifying/removing the secondaries.

It's a flash using a cable. It's a five minute task to flash back to stock. Easily completed by you. The tune will delete the cat inefficiency CEL but other CELs will operate normally.
Thanks m3po, i guess i misworded it... i was refferring to the software tune such as dinan stage one, stage two, etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by af908 View Post
Thanks m3po, i guess i misworded it... i was refferring to the software tune such as dinan stage one, stage two, etc...
I don't get how that changes anything, that's what my answer was regarding. You are paying for a cable (or handheld device in the case of ESS) and some files. YOU upload them to the computer via the OBD 2 port. It takes five minutes. It's just as easy to go back.