BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

ES + Challenge Race VS Akra Evo

A little background story. I've had the Eisenmann Sport for forever. I like it, but it lacks aggression at high revs. I'm also of the opinion that looks wise it's either Eisenmann or Akra. These are the two best looking systems on our cars.

I'm also ready for some added power. So I've decided to go for an x-pipe and tune. I will 100% be deleting primary cats. I may even go catless, or do as the Challenge HFC/Akra x-pipe does and put HFCs at the secondary cat position.

My question is sound. I want something noticeably louder than my current setup (Just ES), and I don't want to go through the gyrations of buying a full akra, selling my ES then being unhappy with the sound.

I have done lots of searching and as everyone knows the Akra Evo has a cult following and there are tons of threads praising it, but at the same time there are a bunch of guys who are disappointed with it.

Examples:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=Evo
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=Evo

So my question is what advice can the community give me in terms of sound. Will power be the same with both? I know I'll save the weight with the Akra but does that really matter? It's not 40 pounds on a 2000 pound car, its 40 pounds on a 3700 pound car.

I've already had the car for 3.5 years so I'm wanting to change things up to keep me interested. If I decide on the Akra and I'm unhappy with it, I doubt I'll take it off my car until I go to sell it. So I really want to make the right decision first.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
kthxbye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Eisenmann (especially the Race one) one will beat the Akra like a little bitch in terms of sound. Not even a competition.

Eisenmann Race with a cat less x-pipe will give you an epic sound! It is loud as fuck though, so you'll learn to pop it into 'neutral' the second you spot a cop.
Curious what your thoughts on the sport are
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Eisenmann (especially the Race one) one will beat the Akra like a little bitch in terms of sound. Not even a competition.

Eisenmann Race with a cat less x-pipe will give you an epic sound! It is loud as fuck though, so you'll learn to pop it into 'neutral' the second you spot a cop.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Eisenmann Sport with a Challenge x-pipe will be amazing as well. Check out 'Meaner than hell' a car iND built... you can find it in the sponsor project car section. Sounds fantastic! In terms of sound - Eisenmann is the way to go. Power is the same...

EDIT: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=meaner+hell
Thanks for your input. I don't think I want to go ER with the x-pipe...way too loud. Although I'm sure I'd love it, the car is still my dd.

Also the x-pipe doesn't have to be challenge. I'd either do challenge or Dinan though.

Now if I'm set on keeping my eisenmann the question is..cats or no cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Pair the Challenge sport with your ES & call it a day. It sounds great...little drone ~ 2000 - 2200rpm's, but not in that range much & can always downshift. Nothing over the top & doesn't sound like tin.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
PaneristiDriver
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Absolutely go with the X pipe combined with your Eisenmann Sport. Akra Evo is a very mundane and uninspiring sounding exhaust from my experience. Now, pairing the akra axel back with a very loud x pipe is nice, but full akra just isnt anything special.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:

LMAO!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for all of the replies, and opinions.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I'd suggest 200cpi cats. I don't like the small with the 100cpi cats and the soot on the tips of the Akra. Just my feelings. Some don't mind the catless smell.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
cwidjojo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite E92 M3

I came from an ER + turner test pipes and it sounded f@kin amazing. I wouldve kept that combo but it was simply too loud for a dd. Now im changing it to ES, keeping the ttp. Will let u know how it goes. I agree wth what others say. If ur used to the sound of eisenmann, akra will def not be an option for u
Appreciate 0