BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

04-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
ScottyzBeemer
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i

Help with Audio Speakers please!!!

2008 528i with standard 8 speaker set up. Ok I posted in another forum with no luck and hoping to get some help here. This past weekend I spent a bit of money on a complete audio set up and install. LC6, Focal coaxals, JL W0 12" in ported enclosure, and a 5 channel ARC Audio D Series 700watt amp. Coaxals sound decent all though I'm wishing I would gone with components and got that seperation factor. The sub, totally not happy with the sound. All the bass is trapped in the trunk and the installer had to cut a 8X6 rectangular section out of the rear deck (from the trunk is the only exposure of this cut out, it doesn't go all the way into the cabin), this freed up a little bit more bass but I'm still not totally saticfied. Anyone else have this problem and what did you do to counter it? Also, didn't know the car had pre-installed spots to put the 8" subs. Now that I noticed this I'm wondering if I can drop in a set of 8" subs and if anyone has gone with a sub other than the Earthquakes? Something like the MB Quarts RLP204 8" subs look nice but haven't seen any post of members installing them. And worse case scenario, would there be anyone here in San Diego that could help me out and maybe fine tune this thing? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Scotty,
My setup is a little different. I have a 550i with the Logic7. It already has the 8" underseat subs. I bought a wiring harness from a memeber on 5Series forum that was plug and play. I added a Alpine PDX12 amp with a SWX-1043D 10" sub in a ported box and the sound is awesome.

You should look this guy up http://forums.5series.net/topic/1227...ub-woofer-kit/ and buy his setup. It looks like he already has the subs and mounting hardware. I'm considering upgrading my 8" subs with a aftermarket power supply and would buy this myself, but I'm not certain yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
ScottyzBeemer
Rep

Hey bro, thanks for the response. Sorry I'm just now getting to it by the way. I see the set up that's for sell but I'm looking to go a little different than the Earthquakes, seems to be better subs out there that only require slight mod so I plan to go with a set of Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 subs. Add a spacer and I already have the amp. This should sound pretty good. I'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
ScottyzBeemer
Rep

I had a pair of 8" Pioneer shallow mounts installed last night. I must say, I'm not as pleased as I thought I'd be. My only real problem is the vibration from the bass either hitting so hard that it vibrates against the stock grill, or when I lower the bass to prevent that vibration it's barely noticeable. I'm so freaking pissed because at this point I've put way more into it than I planned and almost less pleased than the stock set up although I must admit I love the clarity of the Focal's. I also appreciate being able to crank them up without the muddy effect. But at this point I'm not getting the clean bass I was hoping for. Oh, I basically got rid of the 12" in the trunk for the 8 inchers and I'm equally not saticfied!!! I need someone who's done the works on their audio system and point me in the right direction of a reputable audio installer than can work this out for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
ScottyzBeemer
Rep

Correction, had a little tunning done and ordered new waffle grills to get rid of the vibration. Anyway, settings made a world of difference with the sound. Only thing I have a complaint about is the bass hits harder listening to it in the back seat vs the front seat. Sucks because I don't sit in the back seat obviously. But the Pioneers are free air speakers, took some cutting to allow them to fit but it's working out so far and the one and last addition I see coming is an Audio Control EQ and custom rear deck mounted sub and additional mono block amp. RTA tune it to set all the proper frequencies and I should be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
ysp
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 2008 M

Im also planning to change my sound system cause is not really good at all im impressed that bmw has so poor sound system!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
ysp
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 2008 M

Somebody knows something bit cheaper than jbl ms8 cause i only can buy it in the usa and will cost me to much to get it over here eu
Appreciate 0