BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
impr
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63

Normal for E90 M3 DCT or indications of an issue?

Hi everyone,

I just purchased an e90 m3 a few weeks ago and I've been loving it. One thing I'm concerned with though is when Im really going at it from a standstill the car tends to make this crackle crackle pop pop jittery sound up top when accelerating from first gear.

I've been watching videos of other m3's running from a dig and they seem to be experiencing smooth revs throughout

However, when I run from a dig, the car in first gear really likes to make this kind of popping, crackling noise as it gets to the redline and isn't smooth at all. I'm somewhat concerned as it seems much more rough and raw than what I've seen in these other videos.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

I didn't hear anything but I wouldn't be launching with less that 5k miles on the car. Is this noise you hear present when you are just driving?.................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
aresh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 550i

Not normal at all. I had 5k on my car and never heard such a sound. Get it check out
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
impr
Rep

Hi sorry for the confusion, that video above was just a video of a normal m3 launching which seems to rev smoothly throughout.

I purchased my e90 used so it's got about 25000 miles on it right now. For the most part the car revs smoothly up until the point where its above 7000 rpm it starts crackling and popping and the revs become quite hoarse and rough.

Phil: The noise isn't present unless I'm really driving aggresively, and only seems to occur in first gear. I've accounted for lack of traction, wheel hop and all that even with a smooth roll on, in first gear as I hit about 7800rpm to the red line the car kind of goes (pardon my typed out sound effects) vrmmmmmmmmmm-crakcrakcrak-vrrmm- without any seeming interruption in the power delivery. It only occurs in 1st gear, and not in any of the other gears.

Aresh: Thanks for the input as well, it was really worrying me since I didn't recall previous m3's I've driven making such noises.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

any chance that they cheaped out and filled it with 87 octane?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
impr
Rep

kitw I'd hope not lol.

The car's history was it was a dealership vehicle in Michigan, then sold to auction to bellevue bmw in washington state. At which point it was purchased by a private owner who then consigned it to the dealership I got the car from.

The two weeks since i've owned it I've only filled it with 94 octane, but I don't know too much about the past. Service/Maintenance records are mostly without issue but indicate the idle control valve was replaced. Could it be a problem with the valvetronic?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Based on what you are saying one would think it was a gearing issue. Look at the history and check to see if the fluid has ever been changed. These car adapt well to different gas octane so you should be fine there.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
impr
Rep

Phil: True.. I wonder why I didn't think of that early haha. I had asked the dealership to check the software version of the DCT as well as if the fluids in the unit had been changed, but they never got back to me on those points. I'll try to see if a change in diff fluids will help. Thanks again everyone for all the input so far.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
ChadwickSa
Rep
Drives: bmw

I had 5k on my car and never heard such a sound